Search for content in message boards

John Wrenn of early Surry Co, VA

John Wrenn of early Surry Co, VA

Posted: 19 Jul 2011 11:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wren/Wrenn - John and Thomas
I would like to hear from anyone who is trying to piece together the Wrenns in Surry Co, VA. Here is what I have been working on so far. Any reaction or clues you might share would surely be welcome.
John Wren of Surry County
There was a John Wren in the Rev. War as Private.
1768 A John Wrenn was deeded land by Thomas Wrenn bordered by Nicholas Hancocke, Joseph Hargraves, William Hargraves, Thomas Wrenn, and James Clary. 100 acres for 10 pounds in Surry Co. (gift ?)
1769 Thomas Wrenn deed’s John Wrenn a slave named Charles. Surry Co
1785. Precinct #19 of Surry County created with Thomas Wren surveyor and principal caretaker of Walls bridge Rd along with Tithable of Thomas Wren, Anselm and Samuel Bailey, John and Benjamin Atkinson, David and Richard Andrews, and John Wren. (This Thomas Wren is obviously not the one who died in 1777, but whoever he was he and John lived in the same area, maybe brothers?)
1791 John buys 68 ac of land Surry Co. bordering John Hancock, John Hargraves on Walls Bridge Rd., from Thomas Hancock of IOW for 5 shillings. (a gift ?) Did he marry a Hancock?
1795 marriage of Elizabeth dau of John Wren, , to Berryman Rogers. Surity: John Wren of Surry Co. Elizabeth d. 1836, left will in Surry Co. Names son James R. Rogers, dau Rebecca Rogers, son John S. Rogers, dau Edna Goodrich. Others: heirs of daughter Nancy Holdsworth not named. Ex. Robert M. Bain, Wit. John E. Nicholson, Ellis Rogers, John w. Lessenberry.
1802 marriage of Lucy Wren, dau of John Wren to Jordan Richardson in Surry Co.
1816 John Wren and wife are living, ages 63 and 69, “a hearty man.”
1819 Thomas Wrenn m. Polly Hart, Surity. Thomas Adkins in Surry Co.(Perhaps Polly was a relative of Jane Wrenn Hart?)
1820 Thomas Wren purchased land from Hubbard Sledge of Sussex Co. 190 dollars for 52 4/5 acres bordering John Wren’s line to Hamlin Hait’s line to Walls Bridge Rd. Deed in Surry Co.
1830, Aug 29; recorded 27 Sep 1830 in Surry Co: Will of John Wrenn. Son Grey Wrenn, slave named Simon; dau Nancy Wrenn, 2 negro boys named Patrick and Mason. Gdau Louisa Wrenn, daugh of son Thomas, dec., g sons Nicholas Wilson, James Henry, and Calvin Wrenn (sons of dec son Thomas,) negro man named Henry; Dau in law Polly Wrenn wife of dec son, Thomas. Remainder of Estate to be equally divided between Grey Wrenn, Elizabeth Rogers, and Nancy Wrenn. Wyatt Hancock, EX. Wit: Jordan Hanewell, Hannah Parr, Thomas Clary. (possible husband or son of sister Mary Wrenn Clary?) Grey Wrenn begins buying land in Sussex County in 1815. I think this John was the son of the Thomas who died in 1777.But PROOFS are surely scarce here.
1830 U. S. Federal Census, Surry Co, VA. Nancy Wrenn head of household with elderly white male. The younger children could be those of Thomas and Polly. With 7 slaves.
1830 - 1839 Thomas, son of John, Estate settlement papers found next to John’s will. Wyatt Hancock was executor of this estate. Balance of account paid to widow Polly Wrenn. So, this means this settlement was not for the estate of the Thomas Wren whose will is dated 1808, as this Thomas, son of John, probably died intestate.
Just in case:
1808, Jan 4: Will of Thomas Wren in Surry Co. Wife Mary executrix, No children mentioned. He asks that no inventory or appraisement of his estate be made. All property and possessions left to Mary and her heirs. Security bond: Joel Wall, $4000. Wit to Thomas’ will: Lemuel White, Richard Parr, Jonathan White. Recorded 21 Nov 1812. Mary leaves a will in 1814, in Surry Co. (recorded 1819) naming grandson Albert B. Cole heir to her estate when he reaches 21 with her sister, Elizabeth Wall having use of house and property, as well as a slave named William (maybe Ballard). Son in law, Thomas Cole Administrator. Wit: Lemuel White, Polly Wall. Security of her will set a $6000. paid by John Cocks and Thomas Brown. This means there is no record of an inventory or an appraisement of the estate, sometimes useful in identifying relatives.(examiners of John Wren’s will of 1712 were Charles White and Elizabeth White). Since Richard of 1717 did not stipulate the names of his heirs, could this be his son? Was Mary this Thomas' second wife? (I found no deeds exchanged between Walls and Wrens in Surry Co or elsewhere.)
thanks for you interest...........dorothy

Re: John Wrenn of early Surry Co, VA

Posted: 20 Jul 2011 1:34AM GMT
Surnames: WRENN
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~deschart/z0000281.html

DOROTHY, This site has much WRENN family info..You might find it of interest.
pjd
7/19/11

Posted: 26 Jul 2011 4:24PM GMT
I'm working on the Wrenns of Sussex County. I've managed to get only back to Thomas Wrenn who married Rebecca Gilliam in 1801 in Sussex. But since most of Sussex migrated over from Surry County, I imagine we're connected, or will be at some point.

Posted: 27 Jul 2011 4:41AM GMT
I imagine that you have already found that your Thomas is the son of Joseph and Ann Wrenn b. in 1772 in Sussex Co and if what I have read is correct this Joseph is the son of James.......have you tried to sort out the various Thomas' in Surry and Sussex Cos, those of the older generation, that is? You Thomas made it to the 1850 federal census! would like to hear more from you on your work.........dorothy

Posted: 27 Jul 2011 6:50PM GMT
Well, I'm looking at my John at age 13 in the 1850 Census in Sussex County. He's living with Randolph Wrenn, age 35 and Rebecca Wrenn, age 80. I'm thinking (without much evidence) that this is his father and grandmother. The only Wrenn marriage I could find with a Rebecca is this Rebecca Gilliam marrying Thomas Wrenn. I would be happy to hear your thoughts.

Posted: 28 Jul 2011 4:42AM GMT
I don't know if I can be of much help to you but I did find a marriage bond in Sussex Co between a Richard Wrenn and a Rebecca Smith dated 28 Dec 1797 with surity paid by William Cross. He may be the Richard Wrenn who left a will in 1836 but this will does not mention a son John who would have been 1 or 2 years old at that time nor does it mention a son Randolph. However that doesn't mean he didn't have other children besides those he mentions in his will. His will mentions sons Thomas and a son Henry plus a son Robertson and a James. Your note is a bit ironic for me though because I am looking the parents of a Randolph Wren born about 1766, presumably Surry or Sussex Co. I would bet there is some connection somehow...but to find it when proofs are so lacking! My best clues are to a Thomas or a John, more than likely brothers. I haven't dug into many deeds there yet but have ordered some films to come. It seems several of the Thomas' left wills of reversion from kids to wives and their kin without mentioning the names of their own children. What do you think about this marriage I mentioned above? Might it give you a clue?.............take care....dorothy

Posted: 28 Jul 2011 12:21PM GMT
Yes, that would seem more likely because it seems that my Wrenns were rooted in Sussex County. That marriage would make sense also if Randolph was a younger son, which I'm thinking is probable. In the 1840 Census, Rebecca has a young adult male in her household that was probably Randolph.
My John was John W. and I know that he had a brother Thomas and a brother Lemuel. I know that from an old great-aunt, but she knew nothing about John's parents. She said that Maggie Wrenn Dewell, John's daughter, my great-grandmother, wanted to name her sons after her father and her two uncles, but her husband only let her pick the daughters' names.
Thanks for the help, the Dewells and the Wrenns are the most frustrating part of my family tree. Do you still live in VA?

Posted: 28 Jul 2011 10:24PM GMT
Well, good. I am glad you found that info helpful. The only Richard I have been able to identify in Sussex Co is the son of Evans Wren, who was a son of a Richard Wrenn, whom I think I found in Southampton Co. However, Evans lived in Sussex until about 1813/4 or so. Then he moved to Alabama and lived close to my Randolph until Evans died around 1820. I would have to check these dates. Evans first married Lucy Hicks, who was disowned by the Quakers. He later married in Southampton Co, Martha Turner, daughter of David and Fanny turner. That ties in with the Turner name found on the 1850 census with Rebecca. No, I don't live in VA. It would sure be easier if I did. I live in WA state.........take care. Randolph also married in Southampton Co but neither Richard nor Evans stood up for him at his wedding...........so that is a mystery if he is somehow connected................take care........dorothy

Posted: 31 Jul 2011 5:28PM GMT
Here's another marriage that might be a possible for you: Thomas Wren m Rebecca J. Gilliam 5 Mar 1801 in Sussex Co. Joseph Wren had a Thomas b. 8 Feb 1772 in Sussex co. Hope all is going well for you search.

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 3:32AM GMT
There is a marriage bond between Richard Wrenn and Rebecca Smith in sussex County on 30 Dec. 1797. Surity Wm Cross. And a marriage recorded for a Richard Wrenn and Rebecca Gilliam on 5 Mar 1801, Surity: Arthur Gilliam, also SussexCounty, VA. Same guy? Unknown. The only Richard I know about in Sussex is the son of Evans Wrenn who married 1) Lucy Hicks and 2) Martha Turner. He was the son of Richard b. in 1734 in Surry Co. But if this is your family, Richard of Evans would have been too young at the first date and would have needed parent or guardian consent at the later. Sorry not to be of more help..............dorothy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions