Search for content in message boards

BRAGG(E) family in Australia

BRAGG(E) family in Australia

Posted: 28 Nov 2007 6:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,

I am a decendant of convicts William BRAGG(E) b. abt. 1797 Worcester, England and Ann RUMSBY b. abt. 1802 Norfolk, England.

They both arrived separately in Sydney Australia abt 1820, met, married in 1823 and raised 8 children - William, James, John, Miriam, Susannah, Thomas C, George & Henry.

I would love to hear from anyone who has any links.

Many thanks,
Margaret Stevens
Sydney

Re: BRAGG(E) family in Australia

Posted: 1 Jan 2008 12:07AM GMT
Hi Marg,

I am descended from William Bragge & Ann Rumsby's son John (b 1829).
How do you fit into our family?

Posted: 12 Jan 2008 7:56AM GMT
Hi,

My gg. grandfather was William and Anns first son, William b. 1824 who married Margery McMullen in 1846. They had 8 children and their daughter Elizabeth b. 1859 married William Bury Lane in 1880. They had 10 children and their daughter Louisa Marjory b. 1889 married my grandfather William Robert Dean.

I dont have many details on William and Anns decendants and would love to know more about your John.

If you are interested I am quite happy to share info.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Marg

Posted: 17 Jun 2008 12:02PM GMT
Surnames: Bragg
Hi I am Donna Bragg my father was Keith William Bragg his father was William Bragg married to Margorie Lily Walker.
I am looking for further information regarding my Grandfather William Bragg from Sydney NSW. I think he was born around 1880 but this seems to early for me as my Grandmother was born 1911 she is now 97. If you find anything out please let me know.
Good luck
Donna

Posted: 13 Jul 2011 6:28AM GMT
It would appear that my grandfather; Walter Robert Lane born of William Bury Lane & Elizabeth Bragg on 27/11/1898 is a sibling of your G G Grandfather. It also seems he lied about his DOB changing it to 1897 so that he could enlist in the AIF for WW1. He fought on the western front, returned home in 1919 and later married my grandmother. He also volunteered for WW2 and survived, having served in New Guinea etc. He died in 1961. I was born in 1952, so my recollections of him are very limited.
Chris Holmes

Posted: 13 Jul 2011 7:08AM GMT
Hi Chris,
Great to hear from you.
Your grandfather Walter Robert and my grandmother Louisa Marjory b. 1889-1948 were siblings so by my calculations that makes us 2nd cousins. I also was born in 1952.
Louisa married 1911 to William Robert Dean 1877-1940, they lived in Redfern and had 8 children - one son being Walter Anzac, maybe named after your grandfather?
I dont know much about Louisa & Walters family as my grandparents died before I was born but have researched the Lanes back to 1761.
I would love to swap info with you so please email me direct askmarg@ihug.com.au
Looking forward to hearing from you
Margaret Stevens (nee Dean)
Sydney

Posted: 29 Aug 2011 12:30PM GMT
Surnames: Bragg Walker
This is a very delayed reply I am sorry. I am Donnalee Bragg my father was Keith William Bragg of Ryde Sydney. His father was William Edward Bragg and my Grandmother was Marjorie Lilly Bragg (nee Walker). I have just been following the hint links so have no fact. I have just following the areas and place too as a match as I know that the Braggs lived in Ryde most of them and previous to that around the Hawksburry River area. I remember my father metioning this and my grandmother was from the Singleton/Maitland area. I could be completely wrong but my gut says I am on the right track. I hope so.

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 6:39PM GMT
Edited: 19 Sep 2013 7:04PM GMT
Hi DonnaLee, I am Marilyn Clark (nee Bragg) and grew up in Ryde. My father Robert James Bragg was the youngest of 10 Braggs of West Ryde bakery and he was born at Leura 1920 to William Robert Bragg and Elizabeth Isabel Bragg (nee Wynn). There was 5 boys and 5 girls.William Bragg (a baker) married to Marjorie was one of my uncles and was one of the 5 boys. So there was Herbert, George, William, Charles and Robert (my father). The 5 girls were Dorothy, Alma, Alice, Isabel and Edna. William and Marjorie had Arthur, Barry, Keith, John and Maralyn and lived in Goodwin Street, West Ryde. William may have been born around 1910 or 1911. I was born in 1947 and my cousins from William and Marjorie were all older than me however Maralyn was only about one year older than me and we have the same Christian name but spelt differently and she and I both attended Ryde High School. William Robert Bragg and Elizabeth Isabel Bragg had a bakery at corner of Park Road and Melville Street, West Ryde close to Goodwin St. They previously lived near St. Marys where they had a bakery and bore all those 10 children. My grandmother Elizabeth Isabel Bragg died in 1947 (born 1875 at Strathalbyn Sth Aust.) and my grandfather William Robert Bragg died in 1939 ( born 1873).He was born on a ship in Temuka NZ. The ship was sailing from England via NZ to Australia. His father and mother came from Staffordshire in England.They were Alfred Bragg and Myra Rowley both born 1848.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic