Search for content in message boards

Howell Carroll (Johnston/Wake Co NC)

Howell Carroll (Johnston/Wake Co NC)

William Wesley Carroll (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2000 8:04PM GMT
I am looking for any information on the ancestors of Howell Carroll whom I believe was a farmer in Johnston County, NC near the town of Zebulon (which is now in Wake County).
Howell was born about 1802 and died in March 1861. His estate was recorded on 19 March 1861. His first wife was Ellinor Hawkins whom he married about 1831. They had children: Martha, Berry b. Apr 1840, John, James b. 26 April 1846, Polly, William Ruffin b. 4 Jan 1849 and Mary.
Howell's second wife was Thula Earp whom he married 12 June 1856. They had two children: Benjamin and an unknown infant.

Howell Carroll

Posted: 16 Jan 2001 9:18AM GMT
Edited: 5 Nov 2003 11:28PM GMT
I too am looking for information about Howell Carroll and was delighted to discover your message. My wife is descended from Ruffin Carroll, son of Howell Carroll. I discovered this information on this past Friday (1/12/2001) while visiting the Johnston Co. Discovery Place. I previously thought the Ruffin I needed was the son of James and had been a soldier in the Confederate Army, but was shown my errors in Smithfield. I learned that he was the son of Howell and his first wife, but no other ancestors were available. Have you had any luck? Let me know where you are searching and what your connection is to Howell. Look forward to hearing from you.

Howell CARROLL (Johnston/Wake Co NC)

William Wesley Carroll (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2001 6:03PM GMT
I am descended from Howell CARROLL (My GGGrandfather) in two lines:
-Berry Carroll (My GGrandfather)
--William Ruffin Carroll (My Grandfather)Known as "Little Ruff"
---Silas Edward Carroll, Sr. (My Father)
and
-William Ruffin Carroll (My Great Uncle)Known as "Big Ruff"
--Delia Carroll (My Grandmother)
My Grandfather and Grandmother were first cousins.
How is your wife related?

Howell Carroll

Posted: 16 Jan 2001 6:47PM GMT
My wife (Sylvia Fay Scarlette) is the daughter of George Cadwallader Scarlette, Jr. (b. in Raleigh, NC Mar. 22, 1916, d. Nov. 29, 1980) and Fay Jackson Carroll (b. in Johnston Co. on Dec. 10, 1916, d. in Jacksonville, N.C [Onslow Co.] on May 21, 1975. She was the daughter of Earl Carroll who was born in Johnston Co, NC in 1891 and died in Washington, DC in 1961 and Gladys Branch who was born in Johnston Co. on April 27, 1897, d. in Raleigh, NC on June 3, 1983. Earl was the son of Ruffin Carroll who was b. in Johnston Co. in 1850 and Emily Green who was b. in 1855. Ruffin was the son of Howell Carroll, b. 1802 and Eleanor Hawkins, b. ?.

Your line seems more interesting with the collection of grandfathers, etc. What else do you know about Howell and Eleanor? Any possiblities for ancestors? I'm at a dead end. Finding the correct parentage for Ruffin was a new opportunity when I visited Johnston Co. on last Friday. I live in Winston-Salem, NC. Where are you? Where else do we look? I'm delighted to find out Ruffin's first name is "William". How did you find that or did you already know it? How can William Ruffin Carroll be your grandfather and William Ruffin Carroll be your great uncle as well? Help!

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Perhaps we can help each other.

Alvin Tyndall, tyndall1@ols.net

Howell CARROLL

William Wesley CARROLL (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2001 8:38PM GMT
My GMother Delia CARROLL and Earl CARROLL were two of the children born to the union of William Ruffin CARROLL and Emma Hawkins GREEN. This William Ruffin CARROLL was known by the nickname "Big Ruff". His brother was Berry CARROLL, my GFather. They were sons of Howell CARROLL and his first wife Ellinor. My GFather William Ruffin CARROLL was the son of Berry CARROLL and named for his Uncle "Big Ruff". He was nicknamed "Little Ruff".
I have been corresponding with a descendant of Thula Earp who was Howell's second wife.
I am now in Norman, Oklahoma but I was born and raised in Wake County, NC near Raleigh. My email address is wesok@mmcable.com. If you will send me your address I will send you a geneaolgy report from my records of Descendants of Howell Carroll. Can you open a document in MS Word 2000 format? I would be happy to share information with you. You have some information on a part of the family that I have not researched. I do not have any ancestor info on Howell but I am starting to work on the Census Records prior to 1850 in the hope that I can make a connection.

Howell Carroll

Posted: 18 Jan 2001 4:06AM GMT
I was delighted to read your latest message that clears up my grandfather questions on the "Ruffs". I would love to get your files on the Carrolls, I have ms word 97 on my home computer and word 2000 at work. Home address is Alvin Tyndall, 4372 Indiana Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC 27105. I look forward to getting your information soon. Perhaps together we can make some tracing of Howell's ancestry. Thanks again.

Re: Howell Carroll

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 8:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am a desendant of Howell Carroll. Berry's twin sister
was my G.G.Grandmother.I would dearly LOVE any info
on Howell..I have run into dead ends after dead ends.
My G. Grandfather was John I. Carroll. He was Martha's
son...His father is not known...All I have is what little
I've got from Johnston County room and from family
lore....Thank you...Tim Carroll

Re: Howell Carroll

Posted: 19 Feb 2014 2:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am also a descendent of Howell Carroll and am also having trouble getting more definitive information. My GGrandfather was James Robert Carroll, brother of John and Barry Carroll (and others). James' first son was named John and his second son was named James Ruffin Carroll, my Grandfather.

If anyone has some information on Howell Carroll or where I should look, please let me know. Thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions