Search for content in message boards

Ballenden

Ballenden

Stan Hulme (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2003 1:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ballenden
I am currently working on the family of John Ballenden b. c 1756 Stromness. He had two families during the period 1790 to 1813, one in Canada and one in Stromness. During some recent research to update my file I came across two death notices in the Nor'Wester newspaper published in the Red River Settlement during the 1850s and 1860s as follows:
From the Nor'Wester 21 Nov 1864 "Died. At New Zealand, on the 9th of May, John Ballenden, son of Chief Factor Ballenden, formerly in charge of Red River District"
From the Nor'Wester 30 Nov 1861 "Drowned in the Tweed, at Peebles, (Scotland) on the 12th, Sept., while endeavoring to rescue a companion, Alexander Roderick McLeod Ballenden, second son of the late John Ballenden, Esq., of the Hon. Hudson's Bay Company's service, aged 14."
I have added Alexander to my list of children for John Ballenden born 26 May 1811 Stromness (son of John Ballenden and Elizabeth Gray) and Sarah McLeod but the death of John Ballenden in New Zealand on 9 May 1864 has me stumped. The John b. 1811, according to all my references died at Edinburgh on 7 Dec 1856. This John had a son John but he died at St Paul, Manitoba on 29 Jan 1880.
Are there any Ballenden researchers who have any record of a John Ballenden in New Zealand in 1864?
Posted: 15 Feb 2010 4:31PM GMT
Surnames: Ballenden; Beerman; Berman
I am Paul Alexander Ballenden [born 1975], my brother and sister are Matthew John[1971] and Kathryn Anne[1970], my father is Benadict John Ballenden[about 1950] (aka Finn Ballenden). My whole family, including my parents, were born and raised in South Africa and sitill live there in Johannesburg. I recently moved to the US.
(My mom is Toni ann Ballenden, only daughter to Audrey Beerman and Rudy Beerman, changed from Berman after escaping Germany during WWII, being of Jewish decent.)
My Dads brothers are Christian John[about 1940] and Adrian John[about 1942] (now deceased), both immigrated to Australia (from South Aftica) in the 80's. Chris has 3 children, James John, Annie and Nicole. Adie had two kids, Geoffrey John and Mia.
My father's father is John Ballenden[I would guess 1920's] and I believe he still lives in Australia. He abruptly left South Africa soon after returning from WWII (if memory serves) leaving his 3 sons and wife 'Angie' to grow up without there father/husband. It is my understanding that all the male decendants of this John Ballenden carry the name John (except me) in honor of his father John Ballenden.
Unfortunately I know nothing about him but I'm sure my father does...
I hope this helps.

Re: Ballenden in Canada and Scotland

Posted: 9 Feb 2014 1:17AM GMT
Surnames: Ballenden, McLeod, Bannatyne, Grey, McMurray
I am not sure if Stan Hulme is still researching the Ballenden family- if so please post here or write to me directly.

Several people have posted that Annie Christie Ballenden (wife of William McMurray) died at St. Paul Manitoba and that information is wrong, so my guess is, the John who died in New Zealand in 1864 was the son of John Ballenden and Sarah McLeod.

I have been looking all day to see what happened to John and Sarah's other children and I am glad you posted that info for Alexander's death. Annie Christie died in 1862 of TB in Edinburgh in her aunt's home.

What happened then to daughters Frances Isobel, and Elizabeth Margaret, and to their brother William Ballenden? They were alive in 1861 in Edinburgh. Their brother Duncan died in June 1851 and is buried in Edinburgh.

Also Annie Christie had given birth to a son William McMurray in 1861 at Edinburgh- he was on the 1861 census- what happened to him after that?

Elizabeth Ballenden Bannatyne, the children's aunt (sister to 1811 John Ballenden) died in April 1872; the children are not with her in 1871.

Thanks for any information,

Nora (researching McLeod, Thompson, Ballenden families)

Re: Ballenden

Posted: 16 Aug 2014 8:17AM GMT
My name is John Barry Hawthorne & my mother was a Ballenden. Her great great grandfather was John Ballenden (1756).
According to my records John Ballenden, son of John & Sarah of the HBC died of wounds in New Zealand in 1862 during the Maori wars He was born on Nov 5th 1843 in Canada. His parents moved to Scotland in 1851..
The John Ballenden born in in 1833 who died in 1880 in St. Paul, Manitoba was the son of a James Ballenden & Mary Stevens & is not the son of John & Sarah.
I live in South Africa where there are hundreds of Ballenden descendants, all from Christopher Jobson Ballenden (grandson of JB 1756) who emigrated in 1859 .barmarg@iafrica.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic