Search for content in message boards

Powel /Flynn

Powel /Flynn

Posted: 23 Jul 2012 12:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Can any one assist with any information on John Powel Scrahane Killarney.My great great grandmother was born there c 1826 Ellen Powel parents John Powel Cath Flynn.
I appreciate any advice

Re: Powel /Flynn

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 12:41AM GMT
Killarney is a Parish and Scrahane is the Townland and in 1853 when the Griffith Valuation (census substitute) took place there were 9 Powel's, 7 of these are John Powel's.
Only one living in Parish Killarney and Townland Scrahane
and the Poor Law Union of Killarney.

John Powel, Parish of Killarney Townland Scrahane, tenant of Richard Orpen where he occupies 8a caretakers house and land totalling 5 acres 1 rood and 37 perches

The Orpen family are not listed in the 1824 Pigot's Directory as being, nobility or gentry but they certainly in 1853 owned a lot of property, they lived in the Parish of Kilgarven but owned land (rare) that they would of collected rents from tenants. Just in the few I looked at
they owned land of 667 acres, 207 and 206 acres, they all seem to be named Richard with different initials.

In the 1824 Pigots Directory there is one John Powel which is probably yours:

1824 John Powel, Nurseryman, Scrahane

My guess he is the nurseryman on the estate that he noted as living in the caretakers house. He may have served in both positions? or gone from Nurseryman to Caretaker by 1853.

1846:

John Powel, Esq. Sandwell Castle-Island

1870,1881, 1894:

James Powel, Esq. Sandwell Castle-Island
John Powel, Esq. Chapel House Castle-Island
Both also listed under Farming in the directory

1881:

Rev. John D. Powell, Methodist (Wesleyn) Chapel, Tralee
also under Residential Edward St. Tralee

Baptism and marriage records are available for Co. Kerry
at www.irishgenealogy.ie

other resources:
www.censusfinder.com United Kingdom+Ireland+Kerry
www.igp-web.com + Kerry

By 1901/1911 There are 0 Powel's listed however, there are 16 individual Powell's in 1901 and 17 in 1911.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie (click on Show All Information) on the 1911 if you scroll right you will see how long married and children born and living.

Telephone book for Kerry 2 listings for the name Powell.

There is an earlier census substitute 1820-30's call the
Tithe Aplotments, a tax for the Church of Ireland that everyone paid. The details look similar to the Griffith Valuation. These records in detail are kept at the National Archives in Dublin, sometimes there may be extracts on the two resources above and recently Ancestry.com is carrying
a simpler Tithe record with names and places only.

Annette Code

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 2:26AM GMT
Annette Thank you for taking the time to help me.

I am hoping to go to Ireland next May/June and I am trying to understand where my gggrandmother was from the name Fossa is mentioned so I was a little confused.Ellen came to Australia as an Irish Orphan 1848 I have been trying to find a marriage for John Powel and Catherine which may have told me a little more but no luck.Ellen was RC why would she be in the poor house if her parents were alive. So many questions.....Once again Annette thank you

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 3:24AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2012 3:29AM GMT
She may have been in a poor house because her family was large and they couldn't feed them all, often children were put in industrial schools for the same purpose, they were educated, learned a trade and were run by the Churches. Girls often lived and worked with the nuns, were educated and fed and did work for the nuns such as a laundry but the nuns received payment for their free labour. These were rarely pleasant places.

www.workhouses.org.uk/killarney (interesting information)

Annette

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 8:49AM GMT
hello.reading your john and catherine,looking into your line reason is ,our ellen flynn was on the same ship and for some reason i think they are cousins.catherine powel and william flynn either sister or cousin? i hope to here from you keren
per page

Find a board about a specific topic