Search for content in message boards

Zelman / Zelmanovitz Family

Zelman / Zelmanovitz Family

Posted: 18 Jul 2007 6:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ZELMANOVITZ, ZALMANOWITZ, ZIBEL, ZELMAN, ZALMAN
Seeking information about this family. The father's name is MEYER (MAYER) ZELMANOVITZ (ZALMANOWITZ). Married NELLIE (NETTIE) ZELMANOVITZ (ZALMANOWITZ). Their children are Max, Hellen, Eli (Hilland?), Isadore (Eastin). Lived in Boston, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.

Name was shortened to ZELMAN (ZALMAN)
Mother's maiden name is ZIBEL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Zelman / Zelmanovitz Family

Posted: 18 Jul 2007 8:17PM GMT
insufficient info-need vitals and place

who and when were they in boston for a start.
do you know dod and cemetery ,city,state?

Posted: 18 Jul 2007 10:33PM GMT
Surnames: ZELMANOVITZ, ZALMANOWITZ, ZIBEL, ZELMAN, ZALMAN, ZEBEL
I apologize for not providing enough details.

Meyer Zalmanovitz is my grandfather. He came to the U.S. in 1908 to Boston, Mass. from Vabalninkas (Wobolinki) Lithuania.

In 1910, he lived in Boston Ward 8, Suffolk, Massachusetts.

I believe I found his WWI Draft Registration Card. It is dated June 4, 1917. It states that he is living on South Street in Philadelphia and that he has a wife and four children. His birthdate, birth place, occupation, etc. is right on.

In the 1920 census list, I find a Mayer Zalmanovitz living in Hunters Mill, Gates, North Carolina who is married to Nettie (Nellie). They have Max, Hellen, Easter, Hillard.

In the 1930 census list, I find Nettie (Nellie) and she has listed herself as a widow. She is living in Boston, Suffolk, Mass. The children's names are listed as Max, Helen, Isadore, and Eli.

I found Eli Zelman's death certificate as well as Nellie's (I believe). She passed in May 1975 in Mass.

I am trying to confirm if this is, in fact, my grandfather's family. I have been researching my heritage for 8 years now. My grandfather changed his name three times during the course of his life. It was Zelmanovitz, then Zibelman and then finally Zebel. On Eli Zelman's death certificate, Nellie's maiden name is listed as ZIBEL.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Posted: 19 Jul 2007 5:55PM GMT
do you have the name of the cemeteries in ma for eli and nelli? what is dod and location for eli for an obit lookup? assume you do not have the day for nelli.
will check jcam.org for ma cemeteries they own andboston j advocate obits.

Posted: 19 Jul 2007 6:04PM GMT
Last Name First Name Cemetery Street City Date of Death
Zibel Eva Leah Shara Tfilo Baker Street West Roxbury 08/20/1996
Zibel Edgthy Shara Tfilo Baker Street West Roxbury 01/01/1979
Zibel Emma Shara Tfilo Baker Street West Roxbury 02/01/1950

Do anyof these sound like relatives??? what was eli's wife's name?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 19 Jul 2007 7:27PM GMT
re 1910 not sure if zelmonovitz/zelenowovitz dob 1882 is your relative as he was born 1889 in the 1920 censusof ma.
still need those cem and dates .

Posted: 19 Jul 2007 10:38PM GMT
Surnames: ZELMAN
Thank you SO much for your help!

Eli Zelman passed on September 20, 1990. His death place says "Orange." I assume this is the county. It is in California. His social security death index indicates that his SSN was issued in Iowa (before 1951). He was born in North Carolina.

According to records, he was married in Nevada on September 11, 1965 to Rose Goyette Midkiff.

He was later married in Nevada on January 13, 1968 to Louis Smith. At the time of their marriage, he was living in Nebraska and she was living in California.

Your help is very much appreciated!
Valerie

Posted: 19 Jul 2007 10:40PM GMT
I'm sorry. I don't know if these are relatives.

Posted: 19 Jul 2007 10:51PM GMT
I noticed that also. When I looked at the original record, it appears that the numbers may have been corrected. I think the census taker marked through it and indicated 21 - in that case he would have been born in 1889.

I have noticed a lot of discrepancies in his records. In my grandmother's bible it is written that he came to the U.S. in 1908 at the age of 14 years. On his headstone, it is written that he was born on May 12, 1894.

My mother tells me she thinks he may have forgotten his exact birthdate and year. I suppose that could have happened.

He died way before I was born so I never had a chance to meet him. He died in 1958.

Posted: 19 Jul 2007 11:14PM GMT
I forgot to give you the information I have about Nellie Zelman.

She was born March 29, 1885. She died in Boston, MA on May 23, 1975. Her last residence was Roslindale, Suffolk, MA.

Again, thank you very much for your help! I have searched for their obituaries in hopes of finding other family members listed, but I have not had any luck.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions