Any information of Otto Hamann, storekeeper
in Unity circa 1900 would be greatly
appreciated.

Robert Lipprandt
robert.lipprandt@gte.net

Re: Hamann surname, Unity, Clark County

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 9:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
We had an Otto Hamann in our family born and died in Germany though. He passed at the beginning of WW II.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 2:58PM GMT
Perhaps you are talking about a different Otto Hamann than the one below. This one does appear in Unity, Clark, Wisconsin. You give no date or place of birth on yours, so hard to know. Hope this helps.

1940 census
Unity, Clark, Wisconsin
Otto H Hamann 62 born about 1878 in South Dakota, farm
Elma Hamann 39 born about 1901 in Wisconsin
Ethel Hamann 15 born in North Dakota
Elwin Hamann 14 born in Wisconsin

1920 census Otto is living with his parents in Chaseley, Wells, North Dakota

1910 census
Antelope, Wells, North Dakota
D F Hamann 66 born about 1844
Mary C Hamann 62
Otto Hamann 32 born about 1878 in South Dakota
George Hamann 20

1900 census this family lived in Yankton, South Dakota.

Family Tree online says, "Otto Henry Hamann was born 1878 in Yankston, South Dakota, and died March 15, 1957 in Loyal, WI. He married Elma Lurinda Hutchins on June 29, 1921, in Township of Unity Loyal, WI. on home farm, daughter of Warren Edwin Hutchins and Clara H. Smith...1957, Loyal City Cemetery."

About D. F. Hamann - possible match in Wells, North Dakota, in 1920 transcribed as Delleff F. Hamam and in 1900 transcription is Datlas F Hamarin. I suggest the name may be Detleff (a name used in Germany and Scandinavia and...)

Searching on Detleff F. Hamann, up comes a family tree. Below is the information as reported on that tree. Detleff is said to be born in Denmark or Germany. Usually this means the person came from Schleswig-Holstein area of southern Denmark/northern Germany, a territory that changed between Denmark and Germany:

"Detleff F. Hamann. Born March 1844, died after February 1920. Detleff F. Hamann was born in March 1844 at Denmark or Germany. He married Mary C. (?) circa 1866. Detleff F. Hamann died after February 1920. Detleff F. Hamann was also known as D. F. He was listed as the head of a family on the 1900 Census at Township 95, Yankton, South Dakota.1 He was listed as the head of a family on the 1910 Census at Antelope, Wells, North Dakota.2 He was listed as the head of a family on the 1920 Census at Chaseley, Wells, North Dakota; living between John P. and Fred J. Hamann; also living with them are granddaughters Viola M. White, age 12, and Pearl D. White, age 10.
CHILDREN
John P. Hamann b. c 1871
Fred J. Hamann b. c 1874
Otto H. Hamann b. Jan 1878
Clara A. Hamann b. Mar 1887
George K. Hamann b. May 1889

In 1900 census Mary Hamann is reported as having had 8 children, with 6 living.

http://www.frielfoto.com/genealogy/p312.htm#i14197

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 3:13PM GMT
Ha, searched the internet just now and found this old post from you.

"I would appreciate any information of Otto Hamann, a grocer/mercantile store owner in the village of Unity, Clark
County, Wisconsin circa 1900-1925. His only known sibling
was Ida (Hamann) Schulte, Town of Colby, Clark County,
Wisconsin. His parents lived in Centerville, Trempealeau County, Wisconsin before Otto's move to Unity."

In another post you say the wife of "your" Otto was Ruby.

On first glance it looks as if I'm listing a different Otto. Regardless, I'll go ahead and leave my findings posted as is. But clearly we can now see you have lots of information on Otto and you aren't really searching for "any information." Instead, you have a specific gap of knowledge you wish to fill. What is it? Share all you have, such as his parents names, his date of birth, etc, each time you post a querry about him, and also include links to past discussions if relevant. (We assume that your gaps are whatever you don't post.)

I hope the forum will continue on with the hunt, after you chime in with more of what you know. Thanks very much!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions