Search for content in message boards

Monchalin

Monchalin

Barb (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2004 2:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Sep 2009 3:36AM GMT
Surnames: MONCHALIN
Would anyone have any information on the Monchalin families who emigrated from France the end of the 19th century? I am a direct descendant and would very much appreciate any help.

Re: Monchalins

Karen (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2004 8:51PM GMT
Hello Barb,
I found this in the book, "The Hills of Home, A History of the Municipality of Thompson 1967" published by The History Committee, Miami, Manitoba.

page 557
Mr. and Mrs. Andre Monchalin (nee Rosalie Richet) came from France in 1898 to our area to homestead on the N.W. 1/4. Andre had military training in France and also was a farmer before they came. They has a family of four children with them. They cut wood and hauled it to Miami and Carman. In the summer they picked and sold wild fruit to augment their income. They also sold butter. They left the homestead in 1916 and moved to north of Notre Dame De Lourdes. One daughter Marie died at an early age and is buried at St. Claude. Rosine married Mr. Denzer and Florentine married Aristide Macaire. She died in 1943. The son Pierre died in 1962. Mrs. Monchalin died in 1918 and Mr. Monchalin in 1930. Both are buried in Notre Dame.
Mr. and Mrs. Hilaire Macaire (nee Marie Louise Bernard) both born in France, came to the S.E. 1/4 in 1908. They had two daughters, Elizabeth (Mrs. Louis De la Roche Emond) and Marie (Mrs. Jean Marie Shwab) and one son Aristide. His daughter Marie Louise married Isaie Trembley and they lived on the Monchalin homestead, left to Mrs. Trembley by her grandfather, before they moved to St. Lupicin where they now operate a store and have the post office. His son Emile owns a garage in Cardinal. Mr. and Mrs. Hilaire Macaire sold their homestead to Mr. Taylor and moved to Maillardville, B.C. where he died in 1929 and she in 1937.
The children of the Monchalin and Macaire families all attended Leary school as did the Trembleys later and attended the Roman Catholic church at St. Lupicin. Mrs. Trembley remembered a strange woman coming to the farm one day who said she had lived there years ago and it was learned from those who still recall the days before 1900, that a family had lived there before 1897. A John Richardson, who taught school at Hyde Park and Stephenfield, apparently didn't "prove up" so it was opened for homestead again. Mr. Richardson had four daughter- Gladys, Mildred, Mary, and Florence and three sons- George, Harold and Charles.

You may be able to find births, marriages and deaths in the new searchable database from Manitoba Vital Statisitics. Click on search the database.
http://web2.gov.mb.ca/cca/vital/

Hope this helps you in your search.
Karen

Re: Monchalins

Barb (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2004 9:54PM GMT
Karen, I can't begin to tell you how much this has helped me in my research. Thank you ever so much. Big hug to you, Barb

Re: Monchalin

Karen (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 2004 2:44PM GMT
Edited: 30 Sep 2009 3:39AM GMT
Hello Barb,
I came across an old newspaper story (Free Press Home Journal ,January 4, 1900) that may be connected to the Monchalin family. It involves Rosine Monchalin who married Mr. Denzer. As you found in the Vital Statistics site there is a marriage for Rosnie Monchalin and Pierre Deutzer on December 12, 1898 in the rural municipality of Lorne. There is also a birth for Marie Josephine Rosalie Dentzer on November 12, 1899 in the rural municipality of Lorne. If you click on details you will see the mother is Rosalie Monchalin. Because of the newspaper story I believe the two deaths involving Rovimain Deutzer who died on December 22, 1899 in the RM of Lorne at age 24 and Pierre Deutzer who died on December 25, 1899 in the RM of Lorne at age 38 to be the same Rosine and Mr. Denzer. I know there seem to be various spellings.

The story is not a happy one. Would you like me to post it here?
Karen in Winnipeg

Barb (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 2004 9:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Sep 2009 3:38AM GMT
Hi again, Karen,

I am aware of the tragedy as Pierre & Rosine aka Rosalie were my great-grandparents although the family only learned of this two to three years ago...one of those family skeletons. I would very much appreciate you e-mailing the newspaper story to me privately for my records, if it's not too much trouble. I am so very grateful for all you've done. It was a big surprise to me to learn that they had settled in that area. Would you know approximately where in the RM of Thompson they settled? The excerpt from the book said NW 1/4 and the Land Grants state NW 18-6-7 but I don't have a municipality map indicating its location.

Thanks,
Barb

Posted: 29 Sep 2009 4:33AM GMT
Edited: 30 Sep 2009 3:37AM GMT
Surnames: Monchalin
Hi, Just ran across your post for info on Monchalin family. My husband's father worked for Pete Monchalin. If you're still looking, please let us know.

Ilene

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 3:14AM GMT
Edited: 30 Sep 2009 3:37AM GMT
Hi Ilene,

As you know, the curiosity/work of a family researcher is endless. Of course, I would be very interested and very grateful for anything you can add to the family history.

Warm regards, Barb

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 7:37AM GMT
Surnames: Monchalin
Because of the guidelines for posting to Ancestry, I can't send the four pages as attachments. The format is pdf. It includes info on Joseph Monchalin and Marguerite Pantel. Joseph came from France in 1892; children were Privat, Germaine, Virginie, Louis, Yvonne, Marie Louise, Augustine.

My e-mail address is ijtheven@mts.net
Please let me know how I can send this to you.
Ilene

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 6:49PM GMT
Virginie Monchalin was my great grandmother. We had a Patel reunion in the eary 90's in Notre Dame De Lourdes, Manitoba.
If you are still interested e-mail me at marlene_schroeder@dams.net
Marlene
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions