about the time of the Revolutionary War. They all fought in
the revolution and Isaac and John settled in Washington and
Warren County. Any info would be appreciated. I have an
extensive database on the descendants of these men and will
be glad to trade info.
Thanks, Mike Ball
Posted: 24 Jul 2000 7:42PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 6:12PM GMT
In my research of my Rainey family found there is a Ball family connection. In York Co. South Carolina during Revolutionary War at the Battle of Huck's Defeat a Issac Ball is mentioned and that he was the nephew of one of the Patriot soldiers involved in the battle namely Samuel Rainey. Samuel Rainey was son of John and Rachel Rainey. John Rainey's will written 1765 Mecklenburg Co.North Carolina mentioned daughter Agness Ball. Her husbands first name is unknown. Is it possible that Agness(Rainey)Ball is the mother of your Issac?

Ball/Rainey/ and Fondren

Posted: 7 May 2001 1:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Aug 2001 3:57PM GMT
Hi!! Please let me converse with you concerning your research. My mom and I have been working on the Fondren family for about 20 years. I think that one Henry Fondren, York Co,SC about 1770-1790 was possibly married to one of these Balls. We have a Fondren/Rainey connection also, but I am in the middle of trying to sort these Raineys out, in hopes of proving which one was married to a Fondren.
It has been accepted thru the years that Samuel Rainey, b. 1743 d. 1813, buried at Bethesda Pres was married to Mary Fondren b. 1752, d. 1842. But no documentation. And we have been trying to prove who Racheal was, married to John Rainey of Mecklinburg. And there is a John Rainey, married to Mary Mitchel with kids names almost identical to John and Racheals kids. So I have been trying to sort them out. But I am interested in any Fondren connection you run across. I know that Matthew Rainey and one John Rainey went to Washington Co Ga. around 188? after the war. So did John Fondren Jr. and James Fondren his brother.
I have lots of documentation, various wills and land deeds on all of these families, trying to prove that SOEMBODY MARRIED US!!!! But everyone just kind of skips over our name. Please advise. Maybe we can help each other. Thanks.

Isaac Ball/Rainey connection

Posted: 6 Jun 2001 2:06PM GMT
Edited: 1 Aug 2001 3:57PM GMT
I have done extensive research on this Rainey line of York. I have them back to NC, from whence they came south. The Isaac Ball was married to Agnes, I suspect, but do not have proof yet. I know they went to Wilkes Co Ga, as I have them documeted their in 1784. (This would probably be because after the war, alot of Loyalist went to Ga, as well as other "troubled" people. I also suspect that Richard Ball was Isaac's father. I find him early in North Carolina (Granville) with John Fondren and the bunch. I am researching these families in hopes of proving that Eleanor Fondren, m. to John Fondren was also a Rainey. The Samuel Rainey that fought at the battle of Huck's defeat has long been confused with another Samuel Rainey in the same area who is buried at Bethesda Pres. in York. But I have been able to document that the Huck's defeat Samuel is the brother to Benjamin and Thomas (also named in the celebration at the Bratton home) and their mother was the widow Mary Rainey who was Mary MITCHEL Rainey, m. to John Rainy. The Bethesda Samuel was supposedly married to Mary Fondren, but we are having alot of trouble with that,in that the dates do not work well, nor the politics of the times. The Fondrens were also Loyalists. You can see why all the confusion, but I have estate records and dates to back it up. Can anyone give me any more information on the Balls once they get to Wilkes Co.?? I am very interested in Richard because I have a Henry Fondren that we suspect married a Ball.

Re: John, Isaac Ambrose Ball

Posted: 30 Dec 2002 6:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
My wife's ggm was Cynthia Ball, born 1811 in Georgia, married Wiley Sylvester Armstrong about 1831 in Bibb County, GA. They named their second son Isaac Ball Armstrong. Could Isaac Ball be Cynthia's father?

Re: John, Isaac Ambrose Ball

Posted: 4 Sep 2007 8:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ball
I have an uncle that is a Ball living in Randolph Co Georgia. His research indicates that there was an Isaac, Ambrose, and John Ball.
Following is an excerpt from an e-mail he sent me today.

"Several of us have traced the Ball line back to my GGG-grandfather Isaac Ball and his brothers John and Ambrose but can go no further.
Isaac, John and Ambrose fought in the Revolution with Gen. Frances Marion(Swamp Fox) and a Col. Williamson in SC. Also in the fight at Briar Creek Ga. Later Isaac was Judge of the Inferior Court(now called Probate Judge) of Warren County in 1812. Isaac married, second wife, Sarah(Sally) Wheeler, daughter of Benjamin and Mary Wheeler. My GG-grandfather Green B. Ball moved to Stewart County and is buried there in family cemetery. I have heard that Isaac is buried in Eufaula Alabama but not sure.
John settled on the Wilkerson/Johnson County line at the Oconee River and operated Ball's Ferry. He was a large landowner there. A Civil War fight took place at Ball's Ferry.
Any suggestions how to find Isaac's parents? I think they came from Va but can't prove that. Also would like to find his grave. Dr. John Ball Adams and I cleaned up Green B's grave in Stewart Co. last year. Green B.'s widow,Sophina Coley Ball, moved to Barbour County Ala after his death in 1842 then went to California(During the gold rush ????) Sophina is buried in California."

Anyone with any info, please e-mail me directly. Thanks
Alex Tye
atye@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions