Search for content in message boards

Blyth/Blythe, Scottish Borders from 1800

Blyth/Blythe, Scottish Borders from 1800

Posted: 23 Aug 2007 10:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Blyth, Blythe
Over the last few years I have been researching the Blyth/Blythe families in the Scottish Borders, including the Yetholm Gipsies, and have gathered loads of info on the Blyths and their related families. My own Blyth ancestors originally came from Northumberland/Yorkshire and moved throughout the Scottish Borders from about 1800 mainly in the Yetholm, Galashiels and Selkirk areas and then to Edinburgh where they finally settled.
My 4ggrandfather, David Blyth, was the father of Charles Blythe I, King of the Gipsies 1847-61.
I would be pleased to share or exchange info with anyone who is also interested in the Blyths.
Regards,
Fran

Re: Blyth/Blythe, Scottish Borders from 1800

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 2:10AM GMT
I am named after my great grandmother who's father emigrated from England, to Canada, then to the US in Wisconsin. He said he originally was from Scotland. He also said he was of Royal Blood. My feelings are that it was of Gypsy Royal Blood.

My Grandmother's name was Mary Suan Blythe. I can not remember her fathers name.

If you know of any of the family who have emigrated to Canada in the 1800's, could you let me know?

Posted: 20 Aug 2008 5:13PM GMT
hello am a blyth and av heard uncles and pappas tellin stories when a was wee about we came from gipsies and we travled about and stuff and would tyk 2 fynd out a we bit about our history i saw the stuff on ancestry .com and thigs that were on it sounded famillier 2 me so a hope u can get bk in touch we might be able 2 help eachother

Posted: 29 Nov 2008 10:03PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Hey there! I am from Glasgow, KY USA. I would love to learn more.

Chris

Posted: 30 Nov 2008 11:40AM GMT
No sorry not the same family as I know to .

Posted: 1 Mar 2009 9:21PM GMT
Could you forward the information to me, an any details of immigration to the US.

Thanks

Joe Blythe

Posted: 3 Mar 2009 8:43PM GMT
Hi Joe,
Nice to hear from you. There were a great many Blyth families living in the Scottish/English Borders during the 1800s and I would really need to know which line of Blyths you are interested in so that I can send you any info I may have.
Could you let me have any names, dates etc. that you have?
Thanks,
Fran

Posted: 3 Mar 2009 10:22PM GMT
Thanks for getting back to me Fran. Maybe its too earily in my prospecting to be fair. I'll need to do more digging before I can give you better information. In the mean time you can contact me at blythe00@aol.com.

Thanks for your reply,

Joe

Posted: 4 Mar 2009 8:35PM GMT
My Great great grandmother was name Jane Blyth 1831. Her brother was name Charles Blyth 1822. Her mother and father were John Blyth 1792 and Grizel Blyth 1794 (Miller) . Now this is where it gets interesting . Jane had two children Grace in 1851 born in Scotland and James in 1848 who was born in England . I have found records to say that a Jean Blyth married a William Duncan in 1847( Many times jean was used instead of jane . Her fathers details are correct. place of birth age of children, names and place of birth all tally. Father is shown as William Duncan. Names of children on census were shown as Duncan . later census information shows William Donkin. I can find no records of a William Donkin in Scotland anywhere. All the William Donkin 's in England at this time show no wife. Nothing shows until 1861. when they appear in stoke on trent with Grace, James and other children all with the surname of Donkin or Blyth Donkin . Showing Jane as born in Edinburgh scotland ( she was born in Prestonpans close to edinburgh . and showing William as born in Longton stoke on trent. This makes me think are William Duncan and William donkin are one and the same . Did he have to leave Scotland for a reason or did he leave for work . I cannot find any marriage record for jane and William Donkin anywhere in Scotland , England or Wales. A real mystery!

Posted: 4 Mar 2009 8:57PM GMT
My Great Grandfather Richard Blyth Donkin ,Blyth was his mothers name , Emigrated to sebring Ohio in 1905. He went to live with his brother David . I have information that he was in Pennsylvania in 1910 in south canonsburg washington.
He registered for the draft in Taylor West Virginia between 1917/18 and in 1926 came back to England 10th August to see family and then returned to Grafton west Virginia on 25th September .We think David married a Bessie and died in 1916, in Columbiana?We cannott trace richard after 1926.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic