Search for content in message boards

Thom Family

Thom Family

Posted: 13 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Jun 2001 7:57PM GMT
Surnames: Thom
Warren - my gt,gt,gt,gt,gf Archibald Thom (1762-1830)w, Margaret (Mc) Candlish (1766-1837,travelled from Ayrshire c1828/9 with known sons John(wife Janet Highet) and William and daughter Janet to Scarborough(Toronto). No details of ship etc despite search. Family in St Andrews, Bendale cemetery etc.

Which Thom family members are you linked to?

Regards, Derek Thom

Re: Thom Family

Posted: 1 Nov 2005 4:01PM GMT
Surnames: Thom, McMahon, Jackson
My great grandfather was born in Ayr. He was a bastard son of a man named Thom and his mother. who was the nurse of his sickly wife. John Thom ( now John McMahon) came to America and worked in mining. Settled for a time in Pennsylvania but worked mostly in West Virginia. mines.
Does any of this sound familiar. Please contact me and I will look up dates and other details.

mac (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2006 7:30PM GMT
The illegitimate Thom's mother was Agnes McMillan born 1851 to Samuel McMillan and his spouse Margaret Hendry (?) and she married the widower William McMahon (born 1845) in Dalmellington, Scotland on 14th. September 1874

I too would like to find out who was the father of her Thom son.
Can you help.

Posted: 21 Feb 2006 11:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2006 11:05PM GMT
I am great grandaughter of John Thom (now John Mc Mahon.
Supposedly Thom's father employed his mother as a nurse for his ailing wife and then fathered John. Who are you?

Posted: 27 Mar 2006 2:53PM GMT
Hi, I have John Thom son of Agnes Mac Millian and JOHN THOM. This listed in the IGI There are 7 John Thom's listed in Ayr born between 1821-1852. I hope this connects with what you have.
John Thom Mc Mahon step son of William McMahon listed in the 1881 census of Ayr.Number 33, Coylton,Ayr. John Thom McMahon was my grandfather.

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 7:29PM GMT
Derek - We are interested in sharing information on the Thom/McCandlish who went to Scarborough. My ggg gf Harry McCandlish was Margaret's brother. At least 5 of Harry's children came to Quebec, Canada - Janet, Jean, Robert, Charles and David. We are in Canada and have visited the Church and cemetery where Archibald and Margaret are buried. I note that your post is old, but I hope that you are still connected.
Stuart

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 9:53PM GMT
Hello:
I noticed your Post about the Thom family from Ayr? Maybe no connection but I knew a James & Mae (Bell)Thom that came from around Saltcoats, Ayshire in the 1950's I think to Toronto. I don't offhand know anything about James Thom but might find something here, if this looks at all familiar.

Thanks,
Bonnie

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 11:09PM GMT
Hi Bonnie,
No Saltcoats links as far as I am aware.

All my THOM family come from mainly Dalrymple,Coylton or Tarbolton. But,thank you for taking the time to send the information.

Cheers,
Derek

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 11:14PM GMT
Hi Stuart,

Great to hear from you.

Yes I'm still using the same email address dmt@dmtajw.fsnet.co.uk. I haven't done much on the Thom side recently mainly because I still can't get back with definitive evidence before 1762 and the identification of Archibald's father is debatable. There is some accepted data which goes back earlier via John Thom and Mary Reid and even earlier James Thom and Jean (or even an Agnes) Fergusson but I had may contacts in the 1990's ref Candlish and Thom. Most of my info is on Excel (97 version) or Word (97)but I have downloaded a few other individual's Candlish and also a Sue(?) in Queensland.

I have three cousins now in Canada and until I did the research they had no idea Archibald and Margaret came over. My late father's brother Bob's two children - Mike Thom (lives in Calgary)and Vicky(Ash) his sister (Surrey,Vancouver) and my father's youngest brother Douglas has a son Douglas Thom living in Prince Rupert. All like me are either close to or already pensioners!!!!

I could send you some of what I have or are there any specific questions to start with perhaps?

Cheers for now,
Derek

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 10:42PM GMT
Surnames: Thom Pennal
I have a Janet Thom in my tree, b c1765 and marrying Walter Pennal 22 Dec 1788, Stevenston. He was my gggg grandfather's brother, i think. I dont have much on the Thom's as focus has mainly been on Pennell/Pinnell.

She d aft 1819.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions