Search for content in message boards

Kantaras ancestors

Kantaras ancestors

Posted: 2 Oct 2000 8:03PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2001 1:12PM GMT
Demetrios Nickolaos Kantaras dob 20 Aug 1890,Igiosthiodoros, Turkey, emigrated to USA 1890. Fathers name may have been Nickolaos Kantaras. Had brothers in Turkey.Does anyone have any information or are you a relative? please write.

Kantaras Name

Katherine Georgette Kantaras (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2000 8:14AM GMT
Hi Phyllis. My father, George Kantaras, son of Konstantinos Kantaras, was born in Komotini, Greece in 1937. His father was born in Pergamos which is now Turkey. It is near Smyrni. My father had a brother named Nicholas who passed away as a young child. The fact that my grandparents named their first son Nicholas leads me to believe that the name is in the family. My father came to the USA in 1964. His brother and sisters are as follows: Sophia (Foula) Kantaras-Vlamidis, Roula Kantaras-Christopoulos, Toula Kantaras-Makris, George Kantaras, and Vasili Kantaras. We do not know much about my grandfather's family because they separated in the 1920s when every was forced out of Turkey.

I forwarded your message to a Jim Kantaras in Australia whose father was Nicholas Kantaras. He and I have been writing and trying to figure out if we are related and if so, how. I'd be interested to continue contact with you to figure out the same.

Thank you.
Kathy Kantaras

Kantaras Name

Katherine Georgette Kantaras (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2000 8:15AM GMT
Hi Phyllis. My father, George Kantaras, son of Konstantinos Kantaras, was born in Komotini, Greece in 1937. His father was born in Pergamos which is now Turkey. It is near Smyrni. My father had a brother named Nicholas who passed away as a young child. The fact that my grandparents named their first son Nicholas leads me to believe that the name is in the family. My father came to the USA in 1964. His brother and sisters are as follows: Sophia (Foula) Kantaras-Vlamidis, Roula Kantaras-Christopoulos, Toula Kantaras-Makris, George Kantaras, and Vasili Kantaras. We do not know much about my grandfather's family because they separated in the 1920s when every was forced out of Turkey.

I forwarded your message to a Jim Kantaras in Australia whose father was Nicholas Kantaras. He and I have been writing and trying to figure out if we are related and if so, how. I'd be interested to continue contact with you to figure out the same.

Thank you.
Kathy Kantaras

Kantaras family information (from Australia)

Jim Kantaras (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2000 3:36PM GMT
My name is Jim Kantaras and I was born on 26 Nov, 1967 and my fathers name was Nicholas Kantaras (he passed away in 1995).
My father came from a town called Foustani in northern Greece.
His parents (Lazaros and Stavroniki Kantaras) came from Turkey during the population exchange in 1922.
It's a big coincidence that you're lookin for a Dimetrios Kantaras born over 100 years ago, tha happens to
have my same birth date (26 Nov) with a father named Nicholas.
Anyway, I am interested in sharing in more Kantaras information and have been doing so with Kathy Kantaras from the US.

Cheers.

Jim Kantaras
email: kantaras@au1.ibm.com.

Posted: 31 Oct 2000 3:36PM GMT
My name is Jim Kantaras and I was born on 26 Nov, 1967 and my fathers name was Nicholas Kantaras (he passed away in 1995).
His parents (Lazaros and Stavroniki Kantaras) came from Turkey during the population exchange in 1922.
It's a big coincidence that you're lookin for a Dimetrios Kantaras born over 100 years ago, tha happens to
Anyway, I am interested in sharing in more Kantaras information and have been doing so with Kathy Kantaras from the US.

Cheers.

Jim Kantaras

Posted: 31 Oct 2000 3:37PM GMT

Cheers.

Jim Kantaras

Posted: 31 Oct 2000 3:40PM GMT

Cheers.

Jim Kantaras
Posted: 10 Nov 2000 6:21PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2001 1:12PM GMT
Katherine
It is exciting to find someone with the KANTARAS name!!!! We have not a lot of info on Nick's dad James Nicholas KANTARAS. He said he was born on an island near Greece. He sometimes said he was Greek and sometimes Turk. According to his Declaration to become a citizen, he was born in Igiosthiodoros, Turkey and came to America on the ship Laconia from Naples, Italy, into New York 18 Aug 1906. We have no record of this yet. We found his fathers name Nicholas KANTARAS on Social Security record. His mothers name was Mary but was crossed out. It could be they couldn't understand him. James (Demetrios) died 1 Feb 1963 in North Platte, Nebraska. He became a citizen 7 Sept 1960. He said he was in WW I but can't find proof. I think he may have had a brother Kosta. If you have any ideas how we could find information from Greece or Turkey please let us know. I'm trying to find a map of Turkey but no luck.
Thanks so much
Phyllis

Re: Kantaras ancestors

Posted: 28 Dec 2009 3:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Check Limnos
Check HadziKantapas in Turkey

Re: Kantaras Name

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 2:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Litsoudis, Haritakis, Gaidatzis
Hi

My name is Alex Litsoudis. I'm also from Komotini. I've also know the Kantaras in Australia too. We haven't see them for years now.

And I'm also looking my family tree for 20 years. Only problem is, how they transferred from Turkey to Greece?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions