Search for content in message boards

Keller in Milwaukee

Keller in Milwaukee

Posted: 26 Jan 2002 5:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jul 2003 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: Keller
Descendants and or ancestry for George (DOB 1800 - Saxony) and Barbara Keller (DOB1802 - Saxony). Their son Amelius or Emilius and (DIL)Magdalena married 1850. Arrived in Milwaukee approximately 1850.
Children of this union were Charles, George and Oscar. George and Amelius were cabinet makers. Charles became an artist, George a Bank Teller and Oscar a painter. George is known to have a wife Louisa and children named Alice, George W and Walter and remained in Milwaukee.
Charles and his wife Helene had children named Carola, Elenore and Harry settled in Brooklyn, NY.

Re: Keller in Milwaukee

Paula (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 2002 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: Noe, Zimmermann, Smith, Marsolek
Hi Kate,

I don't know if this helps or not but in the 1859 City Directory for the City of Milwaukee, I found Amalius Keller (page 124) and George Keller (page 125). Here is how they are listed.

Keller, Amalius, carpenter, Market bet Knapp and Ogden
Keller, George, cabinet maker, Market bet Knapp and Ogden

If these Kellers are yours, then it appears that they lived together on Market Street in between Knapp and Ogden. Market street is a very short street and one side of the city hall is on Market Street. There aren't any homes in the area anymore though.

I also found a couple of more Kellers. They are 2 men named August Keller (a laborer and a clerk), Mrs. Josephine Keller (a washerwoman) and Martin Keller (a teamster). They all have different address'.

I hope this information is useful to you and I hope this helps.
Paula

Posted: 1 Feb 2002 12:48AM GMT
Hi Paula,

Thank you for providing a pleasant surprise.

Yes George and Amalius are my relatives. My census copies indicate exactly the same type of employment and location as your directory. I am not aware nor do I have any further proof of any relationship to the others you listed. Although George and Amalius were unknown to my family until I discovered them late last year.

I wonder if you would be so kind as to scan me a copy of your directory or perhaps I could obtain a photocopy from you directly? (I would happily S.A.S.E. plus copy costs). Would you know of the existence of an earlier Directory?

Thank you also for the information on Market Street. I must assume that my Keller's lived smack dab in the middle of town. I wonder how these immigrant did that? I mean isn't that like prime real estate? Perhaps it wasn't quite so prime when they arrived.

I am excitedly waiting for Amalius' death records in hopes that I can locate his cemetery information (it should arrive in my mailbox anyday now). I am assuming that he and his parents, wife and children can be located nearby upon their deaths.

I also find that Amailius' son George (a bank clerk - circa 1880) resided with his wife and children on Broadway.

Thank you again for brightening my day with your help.

Kate

Paula (View posts)
Posted: 1 Feb 2002 11:03PM GMT
Surnames: Noe, Johnson, Smith, Gerhardt
Hi Kate,

I'm afraid that I can't give you a copy of the city directory that I have. It a software that I bought and I'm not sure but I think it might violate a copyright laws if I copy it and send it. I think this might be the first directory for the city, judging by the comments written on the opening page, but I'm not positive.

Sorry about that,
Paula

Posted: 2 Feb 2002 1:25AM GMT
Thank you again for your information. I completely understand your issue over the copyright so it isn't a problem. I didn't realize city directories were on cd formats. I will have to keep my eyes open for them.

Re: Keller in Milwaukee's German Newspapers Index (1844-1950)

Posted: 20 Mar 2013 11:29PM GMT
Edited: 20 Mar 2013 11:31PM GMT
Surnames: Keller Marschall
"Descendants and or ancestry for George (DOB 1800 - Saxony) and Barbara Keller (DOB 1802-Saxony). Their son Amelius or Emilius and (DIL)Magdalena married 1850. Arrived in Milwaukee approximately 1850. Children of this union were Charles, George and Oscar. George and Amelius were cabinet makers. Charles became an artist, George a Bank Teller and Oscar a painter. George is known to have a wife Louisa and children named Alice, George W and Walter and remained in Milwaukee. ..."

This Keller family is well-represented in "Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950). There are multiple entries for the names Georg, Magdalena, Amelius, Barbara, etc. Besides the typical clippings there were notices for Amalius Keller and Magdalena Marschall's marriage (1849), followed by notices published by Amelius (1850) warning the public about Magdalena and his credit! (I think they patched it up, there are death notices for Magdalena about 30 years later). There are about 400 Keller notices in the current data file.

Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007... helping to access our historic German-American culture.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic