Search for content in message boards

Johanna Quill b c1865 Rathea / lived Duagh / Knockalougha

Johanna Quill b c1865 Rathea / lived Duagh / Knockalougha

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 8:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Quill, Griffin, Hickey
I'm trying to trace my great grandmother Johanna Quill / Quille who married James Griffin on 8 Feb 1890 in Duagh. On their marriage record it states that James is from Mountcastle and Johanna is from Knockavallaha which seems to be mistranscribed from Knockalougha (in Duagh parish). Her parents are Maurice Quill and Julia Hickey (sometimes spelled Hickie).
The problem arises when I try to find a birth record for Johanna. On the 1901 census she is aged 41 (dob wd be 1860) and on the 1911 census she's 47 (dob wd be 1864). She died on 19 Feb 1939 when she was supposedly aged 75 giving a dob of 1864 again. Her last child was born in 1908 making her either 48 or 44 when this daughter was born.
I have checked Ancestry, Familysearch and the actual books in the GRO and there is no sign of a birth recorded for her. There are apparently other siblings recorded with same named parents:-
Margaret b Oct 1859 in Rathea
Thomas b March 1861 in Rathea
John b Oct 1863 in Rathea
No-one in 1864/5/6
Catherine b 1867 in Rathea
Mary b 1869 in Rathea
Denis b 1871 in Duagh
Julia b 1873 in Duagh
Ellen b 1875 in Duagh
Maurice b 1877 in Duagh.
...absolutely no sign of Johanna - could I be safe in assuming that, on the basis that they were a very "regular" family in the appearance of children that she's in that gap between John and Catherine or does anyone have any idea how I'd go about pinning it down? There is a possibility of a Corneilus in 1865 but I can't locate his records.

Next then will be trying to get more information on her parents' marriage, their birth records etc!!!

Re: Johanna Quill b c1865 Rathea / lived Duagh / Knockalougha

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 6:47PM GMT
I'm afraid I can't help you with Johanna although I've had a good look. One theory is that she might have been a twin and just one name was written down - just a guess but it happened in my tree. As for the marriage and parents etc:

Maurice Quill (Knockalougha) m. Julia Hickey in Duagh parish church on 2nd N.R. 1858. The witnesses to the marriage were John Quill and Cornelius Hickey. You can take from this that Julia was from Duagh parish.
After a quick search on irishgenealogy.ie, the only Julia Hickey that I can find baptised in Duagh was on 30th Sept 1838 to parents Cornelius Hickey and Margaret Riordan. This seems too good a match esp. when Cornelius name appears on the marriage record.
The children of Cornelius Hickey & Margaret Riordan are:
Denis b. 30/11/1831 - Duagh
Joanna - 10/07/1833 - Duagh
Patrick - 28/03/1836 - Duagh
Julia - 30/09/1838 - Duagh

I can't find a baptism for Maurice Quill so that could be another problem area for you

EQ

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 11:23PM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2012 7:27PM GMT
Surnames: Griffin/Hickey/Quill
Thanks Eoin for that info...however it sort of confuses me more. When I check the Parish records with both Maurice Quill and Julia Hickey I come up with that marriage but it appears that what I assume are their children, are baptised in Lixnaw parish which seems to cover quite an area from Duagh over to Fourhane/Rathea outside Listowel. The difficulty is that I don't see any child of Maurice and Julia called Johanna and an approx dob.
I'm going to check out the NLI next Tues for both Duagh (to view the marriage record for Mce and Julia) and Lixnaw for those years and hopefully will come up with something.
Johanna married James Griffin whose son also married a Griffin...and there is a family belief that there was a connection way back between both sets of Griffins - and since both seem to have a very strong link to Duagh I'm hopeful to tie it all in together at some stage!

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 7:04PM GMT
Surnames: Quill
Just by chance I looked at Rootsweb in case there was any query relating to Quill surname.Now I may not be related but I did have this family in my file as I had collected all Quills from Lyrecrompane, Rathea area.Knockalougha and Knocknaglogh are 2 different places but quite close together.
I was wondering if Mary was actually Johanna Mary ,as I had the same problem with an ancestor of mine.Sometimes she was called Mary and other times Johanna?
Would love to hear from you ,as I am very close to Listowel, and I may be of help to you.I assume you are in Ireland as well ,as you refer to the NLI, having done that trip myself.
If you wish look back on old postings and you will see how I am a Quill looking for my ancestors.
anghenderson56@yahoo.ie

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 7:41PM GMT
Found this in my Quill data,maybe it is the Maurice you refer to;Baptism of Maurice Quill of Muinvee on 29th Mar.1824 at Lixnaw Church.Father-John Quill, Mother-Mary Shanahan.
Sponsor-Patrick Drury and Mary Quill.
Other siblings ,Ellen 1820,Patrick 1822, another Ellen 1826.
On the irish genealogy site it only records 'ME' as the address, but I had gotten Muinvee from NLI records a few years back.Hope to hear from you regarding my imput.A.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 12:04AM GMT
Thanks for that info Anghenderson1 - I'm going to have a look at seeing how this fits in. I'd thought that Knockalougha/Knocknagloch were the same place actually, just different spelling of it.
I'm hoping to get the marriage record of Maurice Quill and Julia Hickey to see what else I can glean from it.
Maybe you know the answer to this - are the Duagh and Moyvane records on the same microfilm? I have to check Hegarty and Stack records for Moyvane and it seems to be the same ref.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 10:57AM GMT
Not sure about the microfilms, but could be possible.If you have a map handy have a look for the places mentioned,Knockalougha, Knocknaglogh Knockaunbrack, and Muingwee, all in a cluster between Duagh and Knocknagashel.
Glashanacree and Knocknaglogh was where my Quills originated from, too close not to be related, really!
In the map look for the Glanaruddery Mountains are you can't miss the places mentioned.
Hope to hear more soon Ang.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 6:49PM GMT
Edited: 15 Oct 2012 8:35PM GMT
Ang, I kind of know the area - was out in Knockalougha 2 yrs ago to see the ruins of the old family home but think I'd get lost if I had to find it again!
I know what you mean about being too close not to be related - I'm trying to link 2 Griffin families from roughly the same area too - with the odd O'Mahoney thrown in!
Regards,

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 9:41PM GMT
Any update regarding your search?Would be interested to hear if you got to look through the records in the NLI.A
per page

Find a board about a specific topic