Search for content in message boards

Courtney from Killarney

Courtney from Killarney

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 11:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for any information on Daniel M Courtney who married Julia Murphy in Roxbury Boston in the 1920's. They were both from the Killarney area. They had two sons
Daniel J Courtney
John M Courtney
I have them in the 1930 and 1940 census. I know that Daniel M Courtney died in 1957 in Roxbury. I can't trace his wife and sons. I belive his wife died sometime in the mid 1960's
Please if anyone has any information it would help.

Re: Courtney from Killarney

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 2:35PM GMT
No family information.

In 1853 there were several Daniel Courtney's occupying land in Kerry, both in the Kilcrohane Parish & Kenmare Parish.
1 in particular has the townland of Islands in Kenmare
River. There are 36 Courtney's in Kerry at this time.
www.askaboutireland.ie

Daniel was likely named after his father Daniel or maybe John was the oldest son. 7 named John, 8 named Daniel.
You can tell is there is one of more person or one person with parcels of land but counting the houses.

There were a number of Courtney's in the commercial directories if a farmer wouldn't show till the 1880/1894 directories but none are named Daniel. Many named John
Courtney in the Killarney area. Any ideas of occupations?
Examples only:

1881 John Courtney, College St. Grocer and spirit dealer

1894 John Courtney, College St. undertaker & car owner
(probably a car is a cart or carriage)

1870 under heading of car owners for hire John Courtney
College Street.

There is at least one Daniel Courtney in the Kerry telephone directory on line. Names were passed down through generations! Daniel is reasonably unusual a name not like John or James.

1901/1911 Census www.census.nationalarchives.ie

I have no idea of your Daniel's age so you will need to look through the Daniel Courtney's for them. Daniel - 29
John - 40.

There are 112 Julia Murphy's to look through.

There are birth and marriage records for Kerry on line
at www.irishgenealogy.ie to separate all of them out, give an approximate birth year.

other resources:
www.censusfinder.com United Kingdom+Ireland+Kerry
www.igp-web.com + Kerry
Different information depending on the County.

Annette Code

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 8:45PM GMT
I know all about Julia Murphy's family. It is Daniel's I wish to find out about and their children as such. Daniel was from Killarney and in thr 1930 census was about 32 years old.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 1:55AM GMT
Did you look through the Courtney in the census now you have the age!! I only made 1 reference to Julia. The rest was all
Courney, obviously it didn't ring any bells.
Annette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions