Search for content in message boards

Sughrue (my family spelling is Segrue)

Sughrue (my family spelling is Segrue)

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 11:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for John Sughrue and his wife Ellen Nolan. They lived in Co. Kerry. Their son Patrick (my great grandfather) was born Apr. 13, 1847 - address at that time was Caherboshina. Another brother, Denis born Aug 8, 1832 - address was Loughnagore and parish Killeentierna. A sister Mary, born Dec 20, 1834 -address Loughnagore at her birth. I am interested in John and Ellen birthdates and death dates and places of their deaths. My great grandfather immigrated to the U.S. in 1870 married in 1884 in California. Died in Reedley, California in 1922.

Re: Sughrue (my family spelling is Segrue)

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 1:18AM GMT
Surnames: Sughrue
You appear to have mixed up two families - Patrick bapt 1847 is the son of Ellen Lyne, not Ellen Nolan. Ellen Nolan's son Patrick bapt Kileentierna 1830. Hope I have been of some help-do let me know which is the correct family.

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 2:30AM GMT
Thank you for your response. There is confusion for me also. I have documentation that my great grandfathers mother's name is Ellen Nolan, however, the birthdate seems out of order with his siblings. The genealogists I hired, thought there should be more research. Do you have more info on the family?

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 3:28AM GMT
There were 7 children born to John Sugrue and Ellen Nolan. There were two Mary's and two Patrick's. The first Patrick was born Feb. 7, 1830 in Lucknagore, Killeentierna to John Sughrue and Ellen Nolan. Apparently he died at a young age because a second Patrick was born May 20, 1843 in Lucknagore, Killeentierna to John Sugrue and Eleanor Nolan.
Based on my experience this is the same family. Other children born to these parents were Bridget 1828, Denis 1832, Mary 1834, Mary 1837, and John 1841. These births can be found under the County Kerry Church Records on the following website: www.irishgenealogy.ie

Click on Church Records, browse database location, select Kerry (RC), Select Parish Killeentierna, than put Sugrue name search block to your left.

My email is: fran_malone@yahoo.com if you need any assistance.

Good Luck,

Fran

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 12:05PM GMT
Hi Fran,
Its the Patrick in Cahirboshinne that is of interest and not either of the two Patricks from Luckangore and I have a passing interest in him.

Eibhlin

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 12:18PM GMT
Surnames: Sughrue
Is the name Ellen Nolan a name you had before you hired a genealogist?? you can reply to my e-address emcounihan@eircom.net I am familiar with the records for Ballyferriter but not Killeentierna.

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 5:45PM GMT
Surnames: Malone, Sears, Sugrue, Connor, Flaherty, and Kennedy
To: h3p7blm8's

It appears that you have two families confused with each other. My first question and probably the most important one pertains to Patrick's death certificate in 1922.

Do you have an actual death certificate for Patrick? Does it show the mother's maiden name. If it shows that Ellen Nolan is the mother then the following family is the one your interested.

The family of John Sugrue and Ellen Nolan were located in Loughnagore, Killeentierna, County Kerry. The Civil Parish of Killeentierna is in the Catholic Parish of Killeentierna and it's located in the Registration District of Tralee. Location of Killeentierna is east of Dingle but quite to County Cork.

John and Ellen had the following children born to them and through my experience the first Mary and Patrick died young thus the renaming of those children on the later births.

Bridget born Sep. 12, 1828
Patrick born Feb. 7, 1830
Denis born Aug. 8, 1832
Mary born Dec. 20, 1834
Mary born May 27, 1837
John born Mar. 26, 1841
Patrick born May 20 1843

If your Patrick is from this family and he was born in the 1840's then his birthday was May 20, 1843.

The Ireland, Civil Registation Death Index 1864-1958 shows the following two possibilities. Don't disgard them and don't count them until you can prove they are the ones you are looking for. My guess is that they are based on the first child born. I suspect that John Sugrue and Ellen Nolan would have married around 1825-1826.

John Sughrue died 1867 at the age of 65 showing a birth year of 1802. The Registration District is Tralee and it can be found in Volume 15 on Page 368 should a request be made to the General Registrars Office.

Ellen Sughrue died Jul-Sep 1883 at the age of 80 showing a birth year of 1803. Her death can be found in Vol 5 on page 377.

I made request similar to the above ones based on the area, approximate ages, deaths, and obtained my correct ancestors death records. Again don't rely on them to be correct till proven.

Fran

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 6:19PM GMT
To Eibhlin

John Sugrue married Ellen Lyne on July 2, 1840 in Carhue, Dingle, County Kerry. Carhue is not listed but Carhoo East and Carhoo West are and they both border the Civil Parish of Kildrum. The following children were born to John Sugrue and Ellen Lyne (I'm guessing on prior listing that Lyne=Flynn).

Mary Sugrue born Jan. 10, 1843
Patrick Sugrue born Apr. 13, 1847
Michael Sugrue born Apr. 13, 1847
Ellen Sugrue born Aug. 24, 1851

Ireland, Civil Registration Death Index 1864-1958

The following is based on prior experience with ages being listed incorrectly. The death index shows the following deaths which could be John Sugrue and Ellen Lyne but need to be proven. John could be at least 10 yrs older than listed giving him a birth year of 1819 and that would make him 21 at the time of his marriage in 1840.

John Sugrue died Apr-Jun 1899 at the age of 70 (birth year 1829?) and this is recorded in the DIngle Registration District. It's recorded in Vol 5 on Page 154.

Ellen Sugrue (possible Ellen Lyne) died Oct-Dec 1896 at the age of 80 (birth year 1816) and this is recorded in the DIngle Registration District. It's recorded in Vol 5 on Page 166.

Fran

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 6:31PM GMT
Yes, Ellen Nolan was known. Patrick and family assisted in building the Catholic Church (St.Anthony's Catholic Church) in Reedley, CA in the 1908-1911 time period and his family donated a stained-glass window in the names of his parents. Also, I have pictures of his gravestone. I have his marriage license, but not his death certificate.

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 6:39PM GMT
Thank you for the information. I have much of the same information you have sent. I did not have John born in 1841. I appreciate the specific info on how to find the data. It sounds as though, you may have an ancestor in this family?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic