Search for content in message boards

Ventry McDonnells

Ventry McDonnells

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 7:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McDonnell Cavanaugh
Looking for any history about McDonnells from Ventry. Local sources tell me there are none remaining. I have traced my g.g.g Grandfather John McDonnell back to Emlagh and married Kate Cavanaugh in parish Balliferriter, but no further. A local source told me there were two McDonnell brothers from Ventry, one moved to Emlagh, the other down the road to Muragh. My g.g.g.Grandfather eventually moved to John Street in Dingle in the mid 1800s. All of his descendants eventually moved to Holyoke, MA. I have traced all of them, now trying to move backwards. Any leads/potential sources would be appreciated.

Re: Ventry McDonnells

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 2:08AM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2012 2:12AM GMT
I'm not sure if you have this marriage already and I'm not sure how much it will help. However based on my experience the name Kevane is Kavanaugh/Cavanaugh. With that said John McDonnell married Catherine Kevane on Jan. 1, 1850 in the Ballyferriter Parish. This record is most likely on record in St. Vincents Church.

My Malone's, Sear's, Connor's, Kennedy's, Lynch's, and yes McDonnell's come from Rahinnane, Ventry, Dingle, and the Ballyferriter Parish.

My Great Great Grandmother Elizabeth Connor was born in the Ballyferriter Parish and resided in Ballybeg. Her parents were James Connor and Elizabeth McDonnell. They married in the Ballyferriter Parish on Feb. 11, 1823 and their daughter Elizabeth was born March 25, 1828 in Leateevmiddle, Kilmalkedar, County Kerry. Elizabeth Connor then married William Malone Feb. 6, 1850. The Malone house was in Rahinnane and across the road in Ballybeg was James Connor the father of Elizabeth.

The McDonnell name connects with this Malone family in the next generation. One of William and Elizabeth (Connor) Malone's sons was named William (brother to my Great Grandfathr Patrick) and William married a Catherine Boland who came to Chicopee. The parents of Catherine Boland were William Boland and Johanna McDonnell. Unfortunately in both cases I don't have the father of the McDonnell girls. Seeing that Elizabeth married in 1823 then I would venture to guess that she was born 1803 to 1806. Johanna was born about 1818 based on her marriage in 1838. Sisters maybe, a family connection most likely.

On the website irishgenealogy.ie it shows a John McDonnell
born in 1822, 1833, and 1834 in the Ballyferriter Parish. Based on the marriage that I gave you for 1850 then I would venture to guess that one of them is your ancestor and each birth has the parents listed.

In the 1901 Census for Ireland it shows the residents of a house 1 in Maumanorig (Ventry, Kerry) as John McDonnell age 70 with wife Catherine age 65. Living with them is a son Eugene, his wife Catherine, and their children Catherine, Mary, and Hanora. Could this be your John and Catherine? According to this John would have been born about 1831 so the 1833 birth listed on the irishgenealogy website is close enough to be him.

For your info the birth record shows a birthdate of May 9, 1833 in Leateevmiddle and the parents are Maurice and Mary (Bowler) McDonnell. The Sponsors or godparents were John McDonnell and Debra Sears.

Reminder/recap - Two Sears girls married Malone's. Ellen Sears married my 3rd Great Grandfather William Malone. Ann Sears sister of Ellen married William's brother Michael.

William Malone and Ellen Sears had a son John (brother to my 2nd Great Grandfather William) who married a Johanna Bowler. My 2nd Great Grandfather William married Elizabeth Connor who was the daughter of Elizabeth (McDonnell) Connor. William Malone and Elizabeth Connor also had a son William (brother to my great Grandfather Patrick) that married a Johanna McDonnell. Like you my family came to Western Massachusetts and settled in Chicopee.

I forgot to add that Ellen Malone a daughter of William Malone and Ellen Sears married a James Kevane on Feb. 12, 1839 in Ventry. James Kevane was James Kavanaugh/Cavanaugh.

Fran

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 4:35AM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2012 4:39AM GMT
On the website www.irishgenealogy.ie it shows the birth record of Patrick McDonnell as Ballyferriter. The record reads: Patrick Mcdonnell son of John McDonnell and Catherine Kivane was born in Ballynagoul, Ballyferriter, County Kerry on February 8, 1846. The Sponsors/Godparents were Patrick and Mary McDonnell.

You can email me directly at: fran_malone@yahoo.com

Fran

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 3:32AM GMT
Thanks for the response....I was actually able to get the parish to send me copies of the original birth documents for Patrick and his siblings. Jerry

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 4:30AM GMT
Hi,

The Parish sent me copies of come records, but could not find a marriage for John and Kate in 1850. They found one in 1838, which makes sense because they had their first two children in 1838 and 1843. The records are saved under John McDonnell in my tree and are partially written in latin...ie., John is Joannis. What I can't tell is if any of the other names identified could be his parents. I believe the names under testes are witnesses. The irishgenealogy.ie records show parents as NR.

Thanks for all of this information, I'm going to go through it and see if I can make a connection. I'm also going to forward to a friend in Ireland who connects with my family through Connor/O'Connor. I'll let you know if something turns up. Jerru

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 4:42PM GMT
There is a remote possibility that the 1850 marriage of John McDonnell and Catherine Kevane that I gave you is one and the same for 1838. The 1850 marriage does have (assumed) after the marriage date indicating that it could be earlier. The marriage was in the Ballyferriter Parish as stated.

Backing up to 1838 and you most likely have this birth but a Catherine McDonnell was born/baptised on Dec. 2, 1838 in the townland of Ballynagaul which is in the Ballyferriter Parish. The parents were John and Catherine Kevane and the Sponsors were John and Catherine McDonnell. I don't believe the sponsors are the parents but they might be the Grandparents.

Fran
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions