Search for content in message boards

Inch Townland, Castleisland Parish, County Kerry

Inch Townland, Castleisland Parish, County Kerry

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 9:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Is anyone familiar with Castleisland Parish townlands? Just found my g-grandparents in 1827 tithe applotment books for Inch. Does anyone know what townlands surround or are near to Inch. I think Inch perhaps is near Lackabaun, Dromultan, Scartaglin but I am not sure and would like to know what other townlands surround Inch. Thanks anyone for help.

Re: Inch Townland, Castleisland Parish, County Kerry

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 3:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Castleisland Parish, is a parish, and a town in the Union of Tralee,in the Barony of Trughanacmy, Lackabaun, Galway
is a townland in the Parish of Castleisland, Union of Tralee, Co. Kerry

also a townland in the following:

Parish, Kilchreest, Union Loughrea, Galway
Parish Killinan, Union of Loughrea, Galway
Parish Duniry, Union of Portumna, Galway
Parish Inchigeelagh (Pt. of) in the Union of Macroom, Cork

Dromulton is a townland in Kerry:

Parish Castleisland, Townland Dromulton, Union Tralee
Parish Killeentierna, Townland Dromulton, Union Killarney

Scartaglin is a townland in Kerry:

Parish Castleisland, Union Tralee, Kerry
Parish Scartaglin, Village of Scartaghlin Union of Tralee Kerry

Galway:
Inch depending on the county is a Parish or a townland but
in Galway is only appears as townlands Inchgy, Inchaloy, North and South.

Kerry:

Inch is a townland in the Parish of Ballvoher in the Union of Dingle, also their are townlands Inch East and Inch West
in the Parish of Galey, Union of Listowel.

Parish boundaries change according to what the Diocese at the time decide, they shink, they increase and amalgamate take in other parish and sometimes change names.

For a good explanation of boundaries see
www.from-ireland.ie

Also if you google Irish Parish Maps you will find a website that will allow you to click on a Parish and see
what townlands are included and a map will show you how close they all are, this is free. They have some genealogy records such as the Griffith Valuation but you can find this free at www.askaboutireland.ie & www.failteromhat.com

They also have maps of counties, both RC parish and civil parish's that you can click on to find more information.. For instance the Parish of Castleisland in Kerry there are about 40 townlands Lackabaun and Scartaglin appears there but not Dromultan? also are listed the parish's adjoining
which are 8 in Kerry, 1 in Limerick.

I'm not going to type out 40 townlands or 9 parish's you will need to see this website yourself. Because it is a
commercial website I can't give you the website by
rootsweb policies. You can contact me by regular
email (codeannette@yahoo.ca)

* Kerry birth and marriage records are located on the
website www:irishgenealogy.ie (free-Dept.of Arts & Heritage)

Co. Galway is divided genealogically into East and West
but both are members in a Irish History Foundation have birth and marriage records depending on which parish records have survived. They also have the Civil Registrations from 1864+. They do not have Co. Kerry Parish records.*

Civil Registrations 1864+ to about 1950 are located on www.familysearch.org Latter Day Saints.

Is this now as clear as mud. Oh! a townland is the smallest
portion of land division and unique to Ireland.

Annette Code
per page

Find a board about a specific topic