Search for content in message boards

Crouch Families from Bedford Co. VA

Crouch Families from Bedford Co. VA

Posted: 3 Aug 2010 2:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information on Crouch of Bedford County Virginia. Raliegh, Achillies or their families. Can't seem to make link to who their parents were? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Re: Crouch Families from Bedford Co. VA

Posted: 6 Aug 2010 3:01PM GMT
Surnames: Crouch, Overstreet, Newman, Hackworth, Crowder
Have done some research on the Crouches of Bedford Co while researching Crouch lines that went to TN and MO. Believe, by my memory, they came up from S. VA (Pittsylvania, Henry Co) area and there were 3 brothers. in 1800 Joseph, Polly, William paid property taxes in Bedford. In 1810 Census (on ancestry.com) there are James, John, Joseph, Rebecca, William. In 1822 William received a revolutionary war pension in Bedford Co. He died 29 Dec 1823 in Bedford Co. In 1830 Benjamin's will was processed (Will Book 7:357 in Index to VA Estates 1800-1865 by VA Gen Soc 2001, v 5.) In 1833 Benjamin's will inventory was filed in Bedford Co (Will Book 8:190, IBID., v 5)In 1834 there was an estate sale of Benjamin's estate and an account of the estate filed (Ibid). 2 APR 1841 Rolly Crouch m Jane Newman, Bedford. His previous wife was Sally Hackworth (his War 1812 file); 1850 John Crouch living in Bedford Co (his wife's War of 1812 pension application)Also living there in 1853 (by his wife's War of 1812 pension app). Ibid 1855, . 11 Jan 1859 John Crouch of Bedford m Mary Ann Crowder in Bedford (his first wife was Basheba Overstreet) (his wife's --Mary Ann) War of 1812 pension app); 15 July 1866 Rolly Crouch d Bedford Co; 1871 John Crouch resides in PO Chamblissburg, Bedford Co w wife Mary Ann; 17 Jan 1878 John Crouch d Bedford Co; 12 Feb 1899 Mary Ann Crouch (widow of John) d Bedford Co.; 1858/59 Basheba Crouch (first wife of John of Bedford) d; 20 June 1814 John of Bedford discharged from VA Militia 27 Feb 1814 John resident of Bedford enlised /drafted Capt Wm Green's Co; served 114 days in Norfolk (his War 1812 file)

Compiled these notes quickly for you, hence some are out of chronological order. Hope this helps.

Posted: 6 Aug 2010 3:17PM GMT
Thank you so much for the information. Did you happen any information on Achillies Crouch? I believe him to be the son of William, nephew of Rolly but I can't find any offical links. He appears on census in Bedford but could not find where he owned land if he did? or a will? His decendents remained in Bedford and Lynchburg area. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Posted: 6 Aug 2010 3:31PM GMT
Surnames: Crouch
Sorry, I don't have anything on Achilles. I was only dabbling into the line while trying to distinguish various Crouch lines. The info I gave you came from a database I have of Crouch info picked up along the way. Should I run across Achilles, I will post it here. Hard to forget that name.

Suggest you look for William Crouch's will. Probably would name his heirs.Try Bedford Co and also check out Bourbon Co. Estates, KY Ct and Other Records v 1, p 29 on ancestry. Will Book J p 5. here Wm Crouch witnessed will of Wm W Congleton which was proved Oct 1831. . I would check wills of other Crouches, (Benjamin, etc) as you might find a lead

Posted: 7 Aug 2010 7:52PM GMT
I have Achilles M. Crouch (born 1827) in Bedford Co. married to Malissa C. Jenkins--married Dec 20, 1847. They had 9 children---one not named, Edward Raleigh, Martha J. Henry A., G.A., Sarah A., William C., Melissa J. and John W.

Achilles' dob was per 1850 census in Bedford. I have no other information on this family. My brother did the research, and he has passed on.

Posted: 7 Aug 2010 10:59PM GMT
Do you happen to know who his parents were? Having trouble proving any links with other Crouch's in Bedford County? I believe his father to be William Crouch, because he was surety on Tabitha Crouch's wedding, which I can prove as Williams daughter, I assume he was her older brother? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Posted: 7 Aug 2010 11:40PM GMT
I have his parents as William I. Crouch and Mildred Woods. My line comes from his brother William Daniel Crouch.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions