Search for content in message boards

GOODWINs of Colonial Maine and Virginia

GOODWINs of Colonial Maine and Virginia

Posted: 7 Oct 2003 3:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GOODWIN
I came across a reference postulating a connection between the GOODWINs of Maine and the GOODWINs of Virginia, purportedly two brothers from Great Oakley in Suffolk, England who emigrated in the 1600s, one to New England and the other to Virginia. My father is a descendant of Daniel GOODWIN of Maine and my mother of the GOODWINs of Virginia though I have not verified the connection to an immigrant ancestor in the latter.

The supposed connection is based on the Virginia GOODWINs having a plantation named Oakley and the author thought that was named derived from the origins of the two families in Great Oakley. The book was published in the late 1800s and no definite connection had been established at that time.

Does anyone have any information on whether further research has confirmed the connection?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert M. Henderson
Dowling Park, FL

Re: GOODWINs of Colonial Maine and Virginia

Posted: 3 Nov 2003 12:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GOODWIN
Robert,
there has been no, I repeat no confirmation of this connectiom, just a possiblity...we may never know, but we keep looking.
Goodwin Family Organization , is currently undergoing change and may someday confirm this, but not yet

George Howe, member of GFO and Maine descendant of Daniel
per page

Find a board about a specific topic