Search for content in message boards

Murphys of Kilquane, near Dingle/Ballyferriter.

Murphys of Kilquane, near Dingle/Ballyferriter.

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 4:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Murphy/Manning/Lynch.
I am trying to trace Patrick (Paddy)Murphy of Kilquane. He would have married Norah Cahilane (Widow of John Manning from Lixnaw). Norah and Paddy had many children but I only know of Mary, Nora, Kate, Catherine, Lilly and Margaret. However they did have a few sons also. They lived in Ballacolla near Ballyferriter and Patricks brother Tom also lived with them. One of their children, namely Catherine (Katie) married Sheamus Lynch of Balintlea (Baile an Tsleibhe - on mount eagle, near Ventry) on 19th of June in 1920 at Ballyferriter church. Can anyone fill in details of the Murphy clan that Patrick was a part of please. Regards, Val Forde. (my mother in law was born in Balintlea and is a child of Katie and Sheamus Lynch's marriage).

Re: Murphys of Kilquane, near Dingle/Ballyferriter.

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 11:51AM GMT
The 1901 census shows Patrick (Paddy) Murphy, aged 38 and Nora (Hanora), aged 28 living in Ballincolla in the civil parish of Dunurlin in the Catholic parish of Ballyferriter. The following children are listed: Mary, aged 2 and Nora under 1. Also listed are Johanna Manning, aged 9 and John Manning, aged 7, Nora's children from her marriage to Thomas Manning (not John Manning). Nora's mother Johanna, aged 60 is also listed as is a nephew of Nora - Daniel Kennedy, aged 5.

In the 1911 census Patrick is listed as aged 58 with Nora, aged 38.The children listed with ages in brackets are: Mary (12), Nora (10), Catherine (9), Ellie (7), Michael (6), Margaret (2). One had died. Note: Catherine and Kate are the same christian name. No others listed.

Nora had married Thomas Manning in Ballyferriter on January 31, 1891.I think she was originally from a neighbouring townland, Gortadoo.

Cannot establish anything on Patrick Murphy. All the Murphys were in the civil parish of Kilquane. Lixnaw is a long way from Ballyferiter. Is there a mistake there?

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 5:52PM GMT
That is excellent information and thank you for taking the time to respond. The link with Lixnaw is that John Manning was from there and he was the first husband of Hanora (Nora) Cahilane but as far as I know they adopted two children before John's untimely death and Paddy Murphy from Kilquane moved to Ballincolla after marrying Hanora. They had about six or seven children. I am also trying to trace Paddy's family such as brothers, sisters, mother, father etc. Thank you once again, regards, Val Forde.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 12:34PM GMT
I have now been told that Thomas Manning's parents may have come from Lixnaw (not certain) but Thomas was most likely from the greater Ballyferriter area. Has anyone information on Patrick Murphy's family from Kilquane (Cill Chuaine)? I know that there were several Murphy families in the area for many years but any help would be great.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 8:06PM GMT
Surnames: Murphy & Manning.
Yes it looks like Tom Manning's parents were from Lixnaw but Thomas was from the Ballyferriter area. I would like to get more information on the Murphys of Kilquane, especially Patrick,his siblings and his parents. Also any information about Tom Mannings family also.

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 10:14PM GMT
Surnames: Murphy
I believe my great-grandmother, Eileen Murphy, is the Ellie on the 1911 census. We visited Ballincolla and what is left of the home (a rock gate) this last summer. Paud Quinn who has a pub in Ventry has all the details regarding the Murphy's noted in the 1911 census you referenced.

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 8:29AM GMT
Surnames: Murphys of Kilquane (Ballyferriter)
Many thanks for that deebrown7575. I know Quinn's public house well and also know Paud Quinn to speak to. Paud would know my mother in law well because she was born and reared in Ventry but she also comes from the Murphy clan. Her mother was Katie (Catherine) Murphy and Katie married a Patrick Lynch from Ballintlea. Katie was born in Ballincolla to parents Patrick Murphy and Nora Cahillane. Regards, Val Forde.

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 1:53PM GMT
Well then, that makes us relatives and I believe I have an old photo(s) of Kate. If you would like me to send a photo of those, let me know a good email and I can do so :)

Also, the Blasket Centre has some recordings from long ago they acquired from Kerry Radio. The recordings are of Aunt Brid, Kate and Eileen's sister who stayed in the Ballincolla area. The recordings are Brid sharing local folklore-of course in Irish though so we could not understand them directly. Was neat to hear our family member speak though. Neighbors in Ballincolla said my mom certainly looked like the older female relatives. Lots of family still tthere on the peninsula for sure.

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 2:10PM GMT
Hello again deebrown7575, my e-mail address is: valforde_68@hotmail.com Is the photograph of Katie Lynch (nee Murphy) of Balintlea? I would appreciate if it is and you could send it. Many thanks, regards, Val.

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 2:11PM GMT
Hello again deebrown7575, my e-mail address is: valforde_68@hotmail.com Is the photograph of Katie Lynch (nee Murphy) of Balintlea? I would appreciate if it is and you could send it. Many thanks, regards, Val.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic