Search for content in message boards

Arkona Cemetery

Arkona Cemetery

Robin Bailey (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2002 12:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
I looking for the death date of John Fleming Born Sep 10, 1853 husband of Tryphena Southworth as well as the maiden name and birth date of John's mother Mary Jane and the birth date of John's father Thomas Fleming who I believe died on Aug 28, 1885. I'm also looking for birth and death dates of Albert Wight and his wife Alla Thea White) and Albert's parents William Wight and Sarah Ann Rumford. Thanks so much!!

Re: Arkona Cemetery

Posted: 8 Dec 2003 3:59PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Hi:

I don't know if you have had any answers to your query. There are Fleming's in Arkona Cemetery, but they don't seem to match what you are asking for. There are no Southworth's listed at all. Here is what I did find.

John Fleming died June 17, 1861 age 71 yrs. & 10 mths

William J.
Mary J. fleming (illegible)

Eliza Ann, daughter of Wiliam & Mary Jane Fleming died May 11, 1859, age 3 yrs. & 2 mths.
Lot 6----William Fleming (lot owner)

I did find the Wight's. It looks like Albert G. was married twice.

1 Alla Theo White, wife of Albert G. Wight 1868--1930
2 Rachel M Wight, 1876--1877
Frederick Wight, 1878--1878
3 William Wight, 1841--1924
4 Sarah A. Rumford, wife of William Wight, 1848--1936
Lot 5 - Peter W. Wight (lot owner)

I would say the two young children were buried in the same plot.

(another plot)
1 Floyd L. O. Wight, husband of Minnie Fuller, Mar, 1901 -- Aug. 1969
2 Albert G. Wight, husband of Mary C. Dow Sept. 1870 -- Jan. 1965
3 Mary C. Dow, wife of Albert G. Wight Nov. 1872 -- Apr. 1958
Lot 5E -- Floyd Wight (lot owner)

In spite of the lot numbers, I don't think these plots are side by side.
Lot 5 -- Peter W. Wight is in Map II Range 3 & 4
Lot 5E -- Floyd Wight is in Map IV Range 2

I hope this is some help to you.

Jim Ward

Jim & Elaine Ward
54 Albert St.
P. O. Box 1262
Forest, Ontario
N0N 1J0
jcward@execulink.com

Donald Conkey (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 2003 12:43PM GMT
For what its worth - there were at least two Southworth brothers who moved from Canada to Huron County Michigan in the late 1800s = settling east of Elkton, Michigan. There is reference to these families in the Centenniel Edition of Elkton published in 1997 - and probably could be reviewed in the Bad Axe, Michigan library, or the Elkton, Michigan library. I have a copy, having grown up in that area.
Donald Conkey

Posted: 9 Dec 2003 2:03PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Edited: 18 Sep 2005 6:11PM GMT
Although I didn't know them, there were Conkey's in Arkona. From the sound of some of your notes, you must be from that family.

Posted: 9 Dec 2003 5:39PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2006 7:56PM GMT
Surnames: Pembleton/Dann/Dobb/Holland/Nickels/Rogers/Wooldridge/Dryer/
I would be most intersted in a transcript of the Southworth's information from your copy. Thanks in advance.
My GAunt Annie Pembleton married Philander Southworth.

Posted: 9 Dec 2003 5:48PM GMT
Surnames: Pembleton/Dann/Dobb/Holland/Nickels/Rogers/Wooldridge/Dryer
The majority of the Southworth's are buried in the old Baptist Cemetery near Thedford (Widder). Some of the married daughters are buried in Pinehill.
I have photo's of the memorial stones I could find.

Robin Bailey (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 2003 11:43PM GMT
I'm definitely interested in whatever you have on the Southworth's. My great great grandmother was Tryphena Southworth who was the daughter of Eleazer Southworth Jr. and Elizabeth Williams. And just to complicate things, Tryphena's husband, John Fleming, was the son of Thomas Fleming and Mary Jane Southworth - Eleazer Southworth Jr's sister! So I'm interested from 2 angles! Let me know what you have! Thanks in advance!

Posted: 10 Dec 2003 4:35AM GMT
I am, and there are. and I have a copy of the cemetery record, and have visited it on several occasions over the years.
Donald

Posted: 10 Dec 2003 4:31PM GMT
This message is to the several inquires about the Southworth's who living in Elkton, Huron Co., Michigan. Their message begins ...
"The Southworth family traces its roots to England, to a township in the Parish of Winwick, County Lancaster. They came to what is now the United States when Alice Southworth, widow of Edward Southworth, came to Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1623. Edward died in 1620, leaving two sons, Constant and Thomas. They followed their mother to America in 1628. She married Governor William Bradford. Among the Southworth descendents were many who fought in the Revolutionary War.
The branch of the family that settled in Huron County first emigrated to Pickering, Ontario. Nelson was the sixth of 13 children of that family. He and his wife, Mary, had nine children and when the family moved to the Elkton area and purchased a farm in 1889, the four younger members came with them. Daughter Harletta (Hattie) married George Rolph. another daughter, Sarah, was killed on Richardson Road when geese frightened her hourse and seh fell backward from the buggy she was driving. Son Tom worked at the Elkton train depot and then transferred to Helena, Montana to work as stationmaster.
Son Charles, born in Thedford, Ontario on October 24, 1868, is the patriarch of the Southworths remaining in the Elkton area. He was 21 when the family settled on the farm. He purchased the farm from his father in 1892. ... He married Harriet Wager of Souletown. ... They sold this farm and went to Oregon, came back in 1930, purchased a farm in Oliver township, a farm now owned by great grandsons Tim and Philip Leipprandt whose mother is Doris Southworth. She and her husband Charles Leipprandt live in the Pigeon, Michigan area. There are a number of descendents still living in the Huron County area, Bay Port, Pigeon, Elkton, and Bad Axe.
This provides the essentials. It gives the family names of the George and Florence Striffler Southworth family, who were the prime subjects of this bio.
Hope this is helpful. Donald Conkey

Posted: 10 Dec 2003 9:57PM GMT
Thank you! Don.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic