Search for content in message boards

Peter and James Wright: 1773 Botetourt Co. VA

Peter and James Wright: 1773 Botetourt Co. VA

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 9:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wright, McMullin, Hugart
Anyone have any other information of this or this family? I am researching the McMullin/ McMullen line but do not know who this child or her mother are.

Rootsweb.com, Botetourt Co, VA archives:

Date March 1773.

The Church Wardens agst. James Wright reheard, and it is the opinion of the
Court that the Defendant is the father of said Bastard Child. Therefore it is
considered by the Court that the said James Wright pay to the Church Wardens
annually the sum of eight pounds for the maintenance of said child until the
Court shall think proper to bind her out.

James Wright and Peter Wright come into court & acknowledge themselves
jointly and severally indebted to our Sovereign Lord George the Third by the
Grace of God of Great Britain, France and Ireland, King Defender of the Faith
&c. in the sum of twenty four pounds of their respective goods, chattels, lands
and tenements, to be levied and to our said Lord the King rendered, but upon
this condition: that if the said James shall abide by and perform an order of
this court directing him to pay to the Church Wardens annually the sum of eight
pounds for the maintenance of Jane McMullin alias Wright, a bastard child of
Margaret McMullin, of which the court hath adjudged the said James the father,
then this recognizance to be void.

It seems James and Peter were sons of Adam Wright and unknown wife. Peter was married to a Jane Hugart.

Would love to hear from you.
Robin McMullen Landgren
Dlandgren@aol.com

Re: Peter and James Wright: 1773 Botetourt Co. VA

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 9:35PM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT
Robin,

My records list the James Wright of these records as 1825 (year of death) James Wright of Bourbon County, Kentucky, (place of death), the son of 1793 Peter Wright of Botetourt County, Virginia, and Jane (Hughart) Wright. 1793 Peter Wright's brother James Wright is typically listed as having died in 1776. Secondary sources state that 1825 James Wright married Martha Hamilton on Feb 29, 1776, in "frontier Virginia".

I have additional information on 1825 James Wright which I would be happy to share with you, but do not have information on the Margaret M. Mullin of these records.

Best wishes,

Robert N. Grant
15 Campo Bello Court
Menlo Park, CA 94025
RNGrant@grantandgordon.com

Posted: 16 Sep 2009 11:51PM GMT
Thanks for your quick reply and the file you sent. Will keep you in mind if I figure out who these McMullins belong to.
Robin

Posted: 17 Sep 2009 9:42PM GMT
Could this MCMILLIN-WRIGHT be connected in some way to Jacob and Nancy MCMILLIN WRIGHT of Lincoln CO., TN?

Jacob WRIGHT(1774-1867) and Nancy Agnes MCMILLIN (1778-1840) married 16 Apr 1799 in Botetout CO., VA. They moved to Williamson CO., TN that then became Lincoln CO., TN. There were 2 MCMILLIN families in Lincoln CO., TN. Jacob WRIGHT may have had a sister Susanna (1769-aft 1850) who married Joseph JONES 14 Apr 1794 in Botetout CO., VA. Susanna and Joseph settled in Giles CO., TN, next door to Lincoln. In 1850 believe Susanna is living with brother Jacob WRIGHT in Lincoln CO., TN.

Nancy MCMILLINS WRIGHT parents are suppost to have been William B MCMILLIN born in Ireland died abt 1817 and Martha unknown. Their children other than Nancy were:
Joseph W. who married Sarah Jane WRIGHT, Andrew, John, James, William, Thomas, Sarah, Jane, Polly, and Patsy.

Julia

Posted: 17 Sep 2009 11:06PM GMT
Surnames: WRIGHT
Julia,

The Jacob Wright who married Agnes McMullen may be connected to the family of 1793 (year of death) Peter Wright of Botetourt County, Virginia, (place of death), but I have nothing in my records listing a Jacob Wright as a descendant of 1793 Peter Wright.

An alternative identification, which is uncertain, is that he was a son of 1819 Richard Wright of Grayson County, Virginia. 1819 Richard Wright and several of his sons resided in Montgomery County, Virginia, from 1782 until 1789 in a part which became Grayson County. There were McMullens/McMullins who were listed near to Richard Wright in the tax lists. 1819 Richard Wright's will listed a Jacob Wright as one of his children.

A Jacob Wright resided in Botetourt County, Virginia, in 1794 & 1795 and, as you noted, a Jacob Wright married Agnes McMullen in 1799 in Botetourt County, Virginia. These listings are probably for the same Jacob Wright, but it is uncertain whether he was the same Jacob as the one named in 1819 Richard Wright's will as his son.

I do not believe all of the children of 1819 Richard Wright's children have as yet been identified, so Jacob who married Agnes McMullen might be a nephew of Jacob the son of 1819 Richard Wright.

You will also want to review the postings by Wanda Wright Diomedes on the Botetourt GenForum list regarding this Jacob Wright. They are numbers 24, 604, 609, 661, and 689. Wanda also has a number of postings on the Wright GenForum list.

I think a great deal more documentation needs to be done on this Wright line. Sorry I cannot be of more help at this time.

Best wishes,

Robert N. Grant
15 Campo Bello Court
Menlo Park, CA 94025
RNGrant@grantandgordon.com

Posted: 17 Sep 2009 11:29PM GMT
It may be possible.
Who is the other McMullin in county besides Nancy that you mention? That may help me sort my McMullen/McMullin families out. Most of the names of William B. and Martha McMullin match naming patterns in my McMullen/ McMullin families.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Robin McMullen Landgren
Dlandgren@aol.com

Posted: 23 Sep 2009 2:37AM GMT
I have scanned pages of the work of Bobbie D. MCDOWELL on MCMILLIN that was reprinted in the 1992/93 "Lincoln CO., Pioneers" If you send me your personel address I will send it on to you. There are 13 pages.

You can copy & paste the address below to find out about the other Joseph McMillin (1784-1859) who married Rachel NORRIS. I do not have much on them. McMillin and Wright researchers do not believe the two Joseph McMillins are related. I do not know. On this site "Will Johnson's" is info on Dennis Wright believed father of Jane Wright who married Joseph McMillin (1780-1840) Jane Wright believed father was Dennis WRIGHT who was in Lincoln CO., TN by 1820.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d...

Julia

Posted: 23 Sep 2009 2:53AM GMT
Robert,

Thank you for the information. I know Wanda very well, we have worked together but have not been in contact with her for a year or so. She has sent to me everything you sent to her.

Another WRIGHT IN LCT was Benjamin WRIGHT b. ca. 1790 d. unknown may have come from Botetourt CO., VA by way of KY. He married Hannah MCLEMORE in Fayette CO., KY 19 Sept 1814, they where in Lincoln CO., TN by 1820. Benjamin & Hannah had 10 children. Three boys James, William and Joel & 7 girls. We can only name 4..Julia, Rebecca, Mary and Elizabeth. The boys were still in LCT in 1850 but we cannot find Benjamin & Hannah after 1840 however they did not ask for letters to leave their church in LCT until 1859.

Thanks again, Julia

Posted: 23 Sep 2009 5:27PM GMT
That would be great! Do you want snail mail? Can I reimburse you for copies?
Robin McMullen Landgren
Dlandgren@aol.com

Whew! These Wrights are making my head spin. I am part of two McMullen (and other spellings) DNA projects and I am trying to keep track of all those that came through Botetourt Co and the surrounding area. Maybe through the collateral lines I can sort out who belongs to who and why they went to Tennessee, Kentucky and Ohio.
The Will Johnson link is interesting as I had another collateral line move to Knoxville and had land next to McMullins. I haven't figured out who they were but there must be a connection somewhere.

Thank you for your offer and help!

Posted: 23 Sep 2009 5:28PM GMT
Sorry! I was signed in under my brother's DNA account and was under my mother's account Fnancy on posts before. If you see Rlandgren, that me too!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic