Search for content in message boards

Patrick Donoghue & Catherine Dee of Benmore/Ballyduff, north Kerry early 19th century

Patrick Donoghue & Catherine Dee of Benmore/Ballyduff, north Kerry early 19th century

Posted: 5 Jun 2013 10:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Donoghue Dee
Patrick was my gggrandfather, Thomas’s brother. Catherine probably came from nearby Knoppoge. They lived next to his mother, Juliana/Julia/Jude, in Ballyduff village pre 1848.

I have found two children Mary (b.1823) and John (b.1826). I imagine there were others.

I have not yet found out where they went

Anyone recognise these folk?

Cheers

Rod O'Donoghue, ggggrandson of James Donoghue and Juliana Boyle of Ballyduff, north Kerry. Allied with the names of O'Boyle, O'Connor, O'Sullivan, O'Mahony, Flahive, Ferris, Ryle, Dee, Nelan, Brosnahan, Johnson, Scanlan, Tait, Matthews
http://ballyduffodonoghue.blogspot.co.uk
Founder of The O’Donoghue Society
http://www.odonoghue.co.uk

Re: Patrick Donoghue & Catherine Dee of Benmore/Ballyduff, north Kerry early 19th century

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 1:19AM GMT
If you haven't already you can try:

www.irishgenealogy.ie for church records for Kerry

Tithe Applotments: 1823-1837 www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie

Griffith Valuation 1847-1864 www.askaboutireland.ie

1901/11 Census www.census.nationalarchives.ie

The Townland of Knoppoge is in different Parishes,
Aghada in the Poor Law Union of Killarney and
Parish Brosna, PLU Tralee. Parish Dromond and PLU Caherisiveen

Benmore, is also a townland in the Parish of Rattoo, PLU Listowel.

DEE family 68 in Griffith Valuation of 1851:

Parish Listowel, Daniel Dee
Parish Rattoo, James x 2, Mary
Parish Tralee, Michael x 2, Maurice x 3, Mary, 2 x Timothy

Where did they go?

UK 1871 Census which identifies on Irish born persons
but a lot of Donoghue's.

1871 - 0 Juliana, 6 Julia's, 19 Catherine, 14 James, 21 Patrick's. pretty much all over England.

I wasn't able to match the 6 Julia's with the James. something might have happened to her but without an age
it makes a difficult look for a possible James.

The current telephone book for Kerry has just 12 Dee's,
Listowel, Tralee, Ballyduff and compared to 194
Donoghue/O'Donoghue, it might be worth a few letters especially to Ballyduff.

Annette Code

Re: Patrick Donoghue & Catherine Dee of Benmore/Ballyduff, north Kerry early 19th century

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 10:58PM GMT
I'm afraid I can't offer help on your question but have discovered your website through this post and would like to congratulate you on the thorough and precise research you have done and the many references you have supplied.I am researching my mother's family in Ballyduff and have encountered your Simon Halloran! My greatgrandfather actually married into that plot in Farrenedmond at a later stage.I was taking a break from the research but am now inspired to get back to it. If I happen on any information on your ancestors, I will certainly pass it on.

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 4:25PM GMT
Thanks very much for your efforts on my behalf, Annette, much appreciated.

Cheers

Rod

Rod O'Donoghue, ggggrandson of James Donoghue and Juliana Boyle of Ballyduff, North Kerry
Allied with the names of O'Boyle, O'Connor, O'Sullivan, O'Mahony, Flahive, Ferris, Ryle, Dee, Nelan, Brosnahan, Johnson, Scanlan, Tait, Matthews
http://ballyduffodonoghue.blogspot.co.uk
Founder of The O'Donoghue Society
http://www.odonoghue.co.uk

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 4:27PM GMT
Appreciate your comments, thanks. What was your mother's family name please? How does Simon Halloran fit in?

Cheers

Rod

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 10:44AM GMT
Surnames: Dowling, Halloran.
My mother's name is Dowling and her grandfather, Timothy Dowling. In 1973 he married Hanora Hayes , whose father owned the house/plot in Farrenedmond, at least in 1871. There has ever been just one house in Farrenedmond . I have a hopeless filing system but have notes from the Field Books which shows Simon Halloran in Farrenedmond. His name seems to be scribbled over James Donohue.He is listed as having 10.0.32 of good arable land but in 1859 that very same plot of 10.0,32 is occupied by Will G Sandes from Thos Staughton. This W. Sandes also 80 acres in Benmore ,31 acres in Bishopscourt North and 48 acres in Leagh Marshes which makes me wonder if this is not connected to The Encumbered Estates Act of 1849. A lot of land was sold cheaply and many of the new owners were speculators.I can't say if this was true of Sandes. But I intend to look into this.
Sandes is still in situ in 1861 but is replaced in 1871 by local names , Carey, Hayes .You may have all this info already but I pass it on for what it is worth.
I notice a William Dee side by side with my greatgrandmother in 1912 and I remember a William Dee there in 1950's.You prob have had contact with the many Dee's still in Bally duff.
I remember my aunt visiting a Halloran family in Glounerdaliv/Sleaveen in the 60's and I have found a Daniel Halloran married to Honora Doolin in 1822 in Ballymacquin,Abbeydorney and a lot of Baptismal sponsorship between those families but I did not pursue the connection because I think it is not our Dooling/Dowling family.
I hope you that some of this may give you a slight lead.
Regards.

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 12:08PM GMT
It was the Tenure Books that lead me to Farranedmond and Simon Halloran. He was married to Mary Boyle who I think was my ggggrandmother's niece from Knockercreeveen. They lived next door to her in 1853. James Donoghue was my ggggrandfather. Tom Donoghue also shown on that record was my gggrandfather and was a farrier. I suspect James was too. These may have been his working premises because his wife, Juliana, had a house opposite the church in the village

Sandes was Stoughton's agent I think and may have been driven out but that's a guess

A lot of folk from Ballyduff area seem to have come to the Poplar district of the East End of London during and after the famine. Hayes is another name in my family in 1850-70s

Cheers

Rod
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions