Search for content in message boards

Castlegregory Dingle Timothy Griffin and Elizabeth Callahan

Castlegregory Dingle Timothy Griffin and Elizabeth Callahan

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 1:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Griffin Callahan
I am very new to this and have hit a dead end. I have traced one line of my family to a Timothy Griffin and Elizabeth Callahan who had at least 5 children from 1857-1871 in various places around the Castlegregory area of Dingle:
Mary, Andrew, Jeremiah, Margaret, and Catherine (my great-grandmother). I have found their baptismal records online in Ireland, but no marriage or other records to trace Timothy and Elizabeth. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Michael

Re: Castlegregory Dingle Timothy Griffin and Elizabeth Callahan

Posted: 1 Jul 2013 9:59PM GMT
Have you tried www.irishgenealogy.ie as it is the only one line church records for Kerry.

Different places, if husband's parish different from wife she moved to his parish. Babies were usually delivered at home at the wife's mother's house. If different Parish's could explain the different place names, after 1864 birth were registered not just church records and that the Poor Law Union/civil Registration District was used

Castlegregory was a townland and a village in the Parish of Killiney, PLU/District of Dingle.

Griffith Valuation: done in Kerry 1853:

www.askaboutireland.ie

There were 24 Timothy Griffin's (popular name there) but
not in the Parish of Killiney. There were 17 Griffin's in the Parish: Thomas, Patrick x 5, Daniel, Jeremiah, Catherine (possibly a widow as properties rarely in women's names) & John. Look to the names that Timothy and Elizabeth called their children.

Callaghan, Just checked the Poor Law Union of Dingle to reduce the number of possibles:

There are a John and Michael in the Parish of Killiney as well as the Griffin's. I would look to these as the possible father's names for Elizabeth. There are other names but they are not in Killiney. Denis, Johanne, Patrick, Eugene, John, Michael & Mary.

www.familysearch.org

Lots of Jeremiah's if born after 1864.....

Lots of both Jeremiah and Andrews in the Prison records!!

Not going to try for Mary & Margaret.

Catherine Griffin born 10 Feb 1871, Castlegregory #273
correct parents

You can apply to the General Registry Office in Dublin and
obtain a copy of a birth registered after 1864. I believe they will do a bit of a search for you as well, read the
website information. www.groireland.ie

There are Griffin's in the Kerry telephone book in the Dingle area. The online telephone book froze while I was using it so couldn't check the Callaghan.

other resources:
www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie (1823-1837)
www.census.nationalarchives.ie (1901/1911)

other resources:
www.igp-web.com + Kerry
www.censusfinder.com United Kingdom+Ireland+Kerry
not just census, sometimes parish records

good luck.

Annette Code

Posted: 3 Jul 2013 3:49PM GMT
Wow
Thanks for all the tips. I have been using the online irish genealogy database. No direct references there to pin down Timothy and Elizabeth that I have found. Another correspondent tells me that the records for their likely birth parish based on their children's baptisms are missing for the pertinent decades. I do like the indiRect paths you are pointing me to. I'll take a look at those tips a bit more closely soon.
Thanks again.

Posted: 5 Sep 2013 2:01PM GMT
Jeremiah Griffin lived in Carrigdav. He married Ann McCarthy from Castlegregory in 1889. In 1901 his widowed mother Eliza is living with him. It looks like she died about 1909. In 1911 his widowed aunt Mary Fitzgerald is living with the family

1901 census: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kerry/Deeli...
1911 census: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kerry/Deeli...
Jeremiah's marriage: http://tinyurl.com/ke6rfw6
Elizabeth's death: http://tinyurl.com/n7tmcah
per page

Find a board about a specific topic