Search for content in message boards

Avila family in Marin County, CA

Avila family in Marin County, CA

Posted: 24 Jul 2001 6:45PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2002 4:38AM GMT
Surnames: Avila, Fontes, Pacheco, Nunes
I'm interested in being contacted by anyone connected with the Avila family living in the Stinson Beach area of Marin County, CA (late 1800's to present). I am related to Jose (Joe) Avilla, b. 9 Jul 1901, d. 14 Mar 1970.

Re: Avila family in Marin County, CA

Posted: 30 Jun 2005 12:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Jul 2005 8:17AM GMT
Hello, my name is Teresa Conley (maiden). I don't know if I am related, but I figured I'd respond as I have nothing to lose. I have a family tree with the names Vincent Avila and Anita Avila (Gamboa). I also have relatives that came from the California Mission area. They were indian, some were ohlone or costanoan indian, some where salinian indian and some were elcellemac indian. There is also a Mr and Mrs John B. Avila, born in the 1800's.

I have a copy of a newspaper article from the Salinas Californian from 1969. It says "Avila Heritage Stems from Early California. I will quote a couple paragraphs: Melvin Avila of Salinasrode on the recreated Pertola Trek from Davis Crossing to the beach at Monterey. As a decendant of some of the oldest families-the Borondas and the Butrons-Avila also numbers members of early indian tribes as ancestors. Similarly he is a decendant of Juan de Anza who preceded the Portola Expedition.

Avila's parents, Mr. and Mrs. John B. Avila both live in Salinas, but do to their advanced age, the are confined to a convalescent hospital. John Avila, born in 1882, is the son of Juan Bautista Avila, born in 1853, and the former Rebecca Boronda. Another generation earlier, Juan Avila's parents were Vincente de Avila, born in 1816 and Maria Paula Littlejohn.

Tracing the heritage of Vincente de Avila who was born at San Carlos Mission, records reveal he was full-blooded indian. His wife, a native of Monterey, was some 12-13 years his junior. Vincente's Indian parentswere born in 1787, Rafael Guajox at San Carlos Mission Rancheria and his wife at Rancheria de Soledad. Her name was Joaquina de Jesus Mayasats. Guajox' parents, Cayanjuanas and Luxqui Guajux, both were members of the Elcellemac Indians, who made their home in the Santa Lucia Mountain range.

On his destaff side the Salinas man's mother, the former Marguerite Paula Littlejohn, can trace her parentage to Simon Littlejohn and Estafana Soto, his wife. Simon's father was David Littlejohn, who on July 28, 1826 married Francisca Higuera, daughter of Jose Maria Higuera and Maria de Jesus Cota Higuera.

Steve Avila was a noted lion hunter of Monterey County.

If you have additional information about this or think you are a decendant please reply to this email.

Thank you.

Teresa

Kerry (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jun 2005 3:04PM GMT
You have a lot of information! Alas, I do not think there is any connection. Our line was definitely Portugese from the Azores, who immigrated in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

Posted: 1 Jul 2005 6:58AM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2005 8:17AM GMT
Yes, I am trying to have even more information. Apparently, someone thought this family was important enough to track all the way to modern day. I'm wondering what the connection between Juan Bautista and the San Juan Bautista Mission is? Juan Bautista is not the founder of the mission and it is named after St. John the Baptist. I am determined to find out if there is a connection. Also, the Salinian Indian Tribes and the Ohlone Indian tribes were held captive as slaves there. I am also trying to trace back my indian heritage. My next stop will be the Monterey Historical Society. Anyway, thanks for your response.

Teresa

Posted: 23 Nov 2008 5:46AM GMT
Surnames: Correia, Avila, Vargas, Almada
Hi:
My husbands grandfather (John Correia) had a sister (Mariana) that was married to John Avila of Marin County. Mariana was also from the Azores. Do you have any information on any of the family? We're in Sonoma County (North of Marin).

Posted: 10 Dec 2008 8:36PM GMT
Surnames: AVILA, AVILLA, CORREIA
Dear Catherine, My grandmother, Adriana, had a brother named Joao/John, born 1 Dec 1871 in Manadas, Sao Jorge, Azores. Mariana Ana Areia born 5 Feb 1822 in Sao Jorge, Azores. The name was changed to Avilla. John was married to Mariana Areia not Correia 17 Sep 1899 Marin Co., Ca.

I have Correias from Faial, Azores on another line. They married in Marin Co.but moved to Stanislaus Co. If this is a possibility, I have lots on this family.
Rosie in Sacramento .

Posted: 16 Jul 2011 8:32AM GMT
Surnames: Avilla, Avila, Silva, Santos
My mother said she knew a Joe Avilla, during World War II, that may have lived in either Tamales, Point Reyes, or Valley Ford. She's not certain where he did live, it could have even been Two Rock. I don't know whether or not you could be related to the Joe Avilla my family knew of. I don't know if this is the same person you're looking for.

We are not related to Joe Avilla that my family knows of. He was just a friend of my family. He attended the Portuguese Holy Ghost fiestas all the time, mainly the Novato celebration. My mother said that her late father, Antonio Teixeira Avila knew him and her late sister and brother-in-law, Mr and Mrs. Mary and Joe Santos were good friends with him and knew him really well. She also said that the Joe Avilla she knew of was about the same age as her uncle, Tony Silva. Tony Silva was born in 1901.

Again, I don't if this is the same person you're looking for.

Posted: 10 Jun 2012 7:46PM GMT
My name is Freddie Victor Avila the 3rd born in Santa Cruz, Ca. My parents were Fred Clark Avila and mother Gloria Jean Marquez. I was raised at 411 Second street, Watsonville, Ca.
Paternal Grandparents: Fred Avila & Irene Mae Diaz
they lived at 411 second street, Watsonville, Ca. 95076
Maternal Grand parents: Ben Marquez and Evelyn Dugger
My Paternal aunt Betty Avila married to Melvin Terkla
My Melvin Avila is my cousin. I'm trying to get in contact with all my family on both sides so my children & grandchildren can know their true heritage. Both my parents aare now deceased so I have lost contact with alot of family.
If I am related to you and you would like get in contact with me please contact I have alot of knowledge of part of my family.
Freddie V. Avila iii

Posted: 10 Jun 2012 7:46PM GMT
My name is Freddie Victor Avila the 3rd born in Santa Cruz, Ca. My parents were Fred Clark Avila and mother Gloria Jean Marquez. I was raised at 411 Second street, Watsonville, Ca.
Paternal Grandparents: Fred Avila & Irene Mae Diaz
they lived at 411 second street, Watsonville, Ca. 95076
Maternal Grand parents: Ben Marquez and Evelyn Dugger
My Paternal aunt Betty Avila married to Melvin Terkla
My Melvin Avila is my cousin. I'm trying to get in contact with all my family on both sides so my children & grandchildren can know their true heritage. Both my parents aare now deceased so I have lost contact with alot of family.
If I am related to you and you would like get in contact with me please contact I have alot of knowledge of part of my family.
Freddie V. Avila iii

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 8:35PM GMT
Whats happend to John Avilla, born 1874 married 1897 to Sigrid Avilla, she was born in Sweden and is sister to Clara Clausen, married to Henry M Clausen, bpth family lived in Point Reyes in 1900
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions