Search for content in message boards

The Bretts in Cork, Ireland

The Bretts in Cork, Ireland

Louise Brett (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2000 9:04AM GMT
There are a number of Brett families in Ireland, in particular in Cork and Tipperary. They are believed to have come to Ireland during the Norman invasions in the 1100's- either directly from Brittany in France- hence the name, or via Wales. Some people say the name means 'of Brittany' others say it means 'Briton'. Anyone interested in this branch of the family- get in contact!

My Family

Maura Brett (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2000 1:09PM GMT
My family is from Ireland, I believe that my great grandfathers name was Joseph Brett. I am curious as to where exactly they are from and how big the family is.

Bretts of Ireland

Nancy Brett Richards (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2000 10:04AM GMT
My Brett lineage has been traced to 1770s in Isle of Wight VA, but thus far I have not been able to beyond that. Do you know if any of the Brett family line you referenced immigarated to the US and/or Virginia?

Irish Brett family

Barbara Harvey (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2000 11:57AM GMT
Maura Brett...do you know the approx. d.o.b. of your Joseph Brett? I have a Joseph born 1875 in? Liverpool, England: he was my grandmothers brother.

Brett's of Tiperary or Cork.

Maria Britt Vonada (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2000 3:34PM GMT
My father, John Frances Patrick Britt, of Minnesotta, USA died in 1995 and spoke of Tiperary, Ireland as his ancester's home. Could that really be? John Raymond Britt II was my grandfather on my fathers side and he married Hannah Griffen Britt.

Do you have any information on our family?
Thanks,
Maria Montserratt Britt Vonada
Posted: 25 Nov 2000 9:58AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2002 11:56PM GMT
My grandmother Honor(Ana after she came to the U.S.) Hughes was born, Honor Brett. She was from Shamerdoo, a little north of Kilkelly in Mayo. She and her sisters arrived in Philadelphia around 1900-1910. She had only one brother here who had only a daughter. Another of her brothers stayed behind and had two children, Winifred, who came to the U.S. and a boy who also stayed behind. So no Bretts of direct descent are here in the U.S. Honor's father was James and mother was Ellen Harrison. She had several uncles, and as I just noted, at least one nephew named Brett who remained in Mayo. I expect that there are still many Brett's from that line in that area of Mayo.

Re: The Bretts in Cork, Ireland

jbm (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2002 3:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brett, Keegan
I am searching for Bretts who lived in Pittsfield, MA late 1800's. My grandfather William was born there in 1901. He had siblings John, Harold, Anthony, Marian & Margie. We think his father's name was Daniel, born possibly 1869 & we think they were from Cork, Ireland, but I can find Daniel nowhere. Do you know of this branch?

Re: Irish Brett family

Posted: 26 Jul 2007 11:45PM GMT
Surnames: McDonnell,Brett
I'm looking for any information on the Bretts of Tipperary. My great grandmother was Ellen Brett and she married my grandfather Patrick McDonnell in Tipperary.
I know that she was married previously and that the previous husband died young. My dilemma is whether or not she reverted back to her maiden name before marrying my great grandfather or not.
Anyway, any information would be greatly appreciated.
The family are now situated in Fethard, Co. Tipp.

Posted: 7 Jan 2009 9:35PM GMT
I am looking for information on my Ancestors, my grandfather John possibly John Joseph Brett born in the Waterford co workhouse april 6th 1903 to Anastacia Brett(possibly White). He had one sister Catherine/Katherine/Kathy that was older. Any help you can offer would be great.

I do have a copy of his birth certificate but am unsure of how to use some of the information on it for tracing purposes.

Thank you

Posted: 1 Mar 2009 7:03PM GMT
Surnames: Bolton, Brett, Britt
Dear Sir:

I am also looking for relatives of the Bretts or the Britts from northern England and Ireland. My grandmother was Mary Ellen Britt/Brett and married Michael Oswald Bolton. Mary Ellen was born in or near Durham, England in about 1876. Her and my grandfather moved to Scranton, PA and then to Butte/Walkerville, Montana. Michael died in 1925 and Mary Ellen in 1940, in Butte, Montana. Let me know if this helps or if you have any information about this portion of the family tree I am researching. Thanks
Paul Bolton Redding, CA
per page

Find a board about a specific topic