Search for content in message boards

FARWELL FAREWELL

FARWELL FAREWELL

Posted: 24 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Nov 2001 2:49AM GMT
Would like to hear from anyone researching the FARWELL-FAREWELL surname connected to the Hill Bishop,Taunton,Somerset, Eng. George FARWELL B, 1537 D.1609.
He married Philippa PARKER.
Any info on this family and/or any family connected to them would be greatly appreciated
Thank you

FARWELL- FAREWELL

Posted: 7 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Nov 2001 2:49AM GMT
Hi! Don;

After the death of John, Sarah Bennett Farewell married Sargent Crawford - Cranford of the Kings Ranger and came to Ontario, Canada.
John & Sarah had 5 children, Jonathon, Newcomb, Benonie, Archus Moody & William Fulton- who I descend from.
I can assist with info on this line and some back to England.
If you want to contact me direct, that might be easier.

Family Tree

Don Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Farewell
John Farewell was an English trader that came to Vermont from London with his brother Newcome. John was married to Sarah Bennett. John and his brother were killed in the Revolutionary War in 1781. I am looking for any linkage to their English heiritage. John was my greatx4 grandfather.

Re: FARWELL- FAREWELL

Linda Morris (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2001 4:46PM GMT
Surnames: Farwell - Farewell
Hi Don or Shirley.

I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I'm related to John Farewell of White River Junction, Vermont as you are.

I have been researching the family history for a while but have not done anything recently as I came to a dead end with John Farewell and could not make the connection to England.

I'm fairly new at this so I don't know many "tricks of the trade".

I did much of my research through the Mormon Church records that are so extensive.

I'm decended through Acheus Moodie Farewell (several spellings are evident although one of his sons was also named Achius but seemed to be spelt differently.

Acheus Moodie Farewell is buried in what is now called The Farewell Pioneer Cemetary in Oshawa, Ontario and their is a street in Oshawa named after the Farewell family.

I have a cousin who still carries the family name and I know there are others in Oshawa or Whitby who do as well.

If this info is of any interest to either of you, feel free to e-mail me.

If you ever find the connection to England I would be very interested in hearing about it.

I would enjoy hearing from both of you - farewell!

Linda Morris

I got back as far as John Farewell

Re: FARWELL FAREWELL

Trish Farwell Harrison (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2002 12:41AM GMT
Re: Hill Bishop...
Hi Shirle. On vacation in Seattle, Wa right now, but will you please send me email re this so I will remember to get back to you when I return after the 12th. Thanks, Trish. Direct descendant of Henry and Olive Welby Farwell, son of William, grandson of James.

Thanks,
Trish
amdg7her@hotmail.com

sandy (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2002 11:52PM GMT
Hi Linda,
I live in the Toronto area as well and I am also a decendent of Moodie farewell, my birth name is Farewell.
I still know many of the Farewells in the Oshawa area. What information are you looking for?
Please email back, I would like to hear from you.

Sandy

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2002 2:00AM GMT
Surnames: Farewell, Farwell
Hi Sandy.

I've tried to make the connection back to England for the Farewells but have been unable to do so. Everything seems to stop at John Farewell in White River Junction, Vermont.

As a child I can almost remember seeing a picture of what I thought I was told was the Farewell home overseas (England?) but as a child I didn't much care.

Now, of course, all those relatives that might have clarified the situation are dead!

There are also Farewells living in Cannington and Lindsay (my first cousins) as well as the Oshawa/Whitby area.

My ancestory comes along the Levi, William Wallace, & Wallace James Edward Roy, Francis Drew (my uncle and the father of those cousins) so I have some knowledge of that line although it's hard to keep them all straight. I'm a real beginner at this.

Have you any info as to how the family got here from England?

I'm assuming that John Farewell was the immigrant but I don't have any idea his age or the year he would have come.

If I could establish that, it might be possible to find the ship he came on.

Keep in touch - Linda

sandy (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2002 12:23AM GMT
I know that John came to Vermont from England with his wife, Sarah- John died in the American Revolution around 1781. Sarah had 5 children ( 1 daughter and 4 sons) she heard they were gving away land in Upper Canada and came here with her children. She remarried Serg. Crawford. Her son Moody came to the Oshawa areaand established a trading post on lake Scugog with his brother William-they settled near Harmony Rd & Farewell Ave. I actually lived on Farewell Ave. and my grandparents lived down the road on the remaining property which used to be a farm. My cousin Shane Farewell had done a family tree and I am trying to contact him I will forward any info to you.

Re: Family Tree - Farewell/Farwell

linda (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2002 1:54AM GMT
Surnames: Farewell/Farwell
Hi Sandy

I knew that John Farewell and Sarah Bennett had 5 children
I have the years of their birth but not the months or days.

1) Johnathan - 1771
2) Newcombe - 1773
3) Benonie - 1775 (daughter)
4) William Fuilton - 1779
5) Acheus Moody - 1782

I know the 4 brothers ended up in Oshawa. I understood that they had each taken a corner of Harmony Road and What is now Dundas and had established farms. Whether they ever actually farmed them, I don't know.

I have never seen anything else about the daughter, Benonie, after Sarah and the sons were here in Oshawa. Perhaps she died or else stayed behind for some reason.

They all seem awfully young to have travelled up here after the American Revolution.

I had some contact with Shane Farewell some years ago and have a phone number for him but I don't want to post it on a public message board. I don't know if he's in the phone book but If you need the phone number (although it may be out of date,) send me an e-mail at lamgraphics@aol.com and I'll give it to you.

I have lots of information about the Farewells but no organization. I looked up a lot of what I have in the Morman Church records on microfilm from Salt Lake City so they are actual legal documents.

I think John Farewell and Sarah Bennett were married in White River Junction, Vermont in 1770.

I strill can't make any connection back to England.

Sarah's parents were Samuel Bennett and Abigail (no known last name).

I do have a photograph of Acheus Moody that I got at the archives in Oshawa - he looks pretty grim in the photo- which I could scan in a e-mail to you f you have a program to open it.

That's all for now - Linda

Re: Family Tree - Farewell/Farwell

linda (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2002 1:54AM GMT
Surnames: Farewell/Farwell
Hi Sandy

I knew that John Farewell and Sarah Bennett had 5 children
I have the years of their birth but not the months or days.

1) Johnathan - 1771
2) Newcombe - 1773
3) Benonie - 1775 (daughter)
4) William Fuilton - 1779
5) Acheus Moody - 1782

I know the 4 brothers ended up in Oshawa. I understood that they had each taken a corner of Harmony Road and What is now Dundas and had established farms. Whether they ever actually farmed them, I don't know.

I have never seen anything else about the daughter, Benonie, after Sarah and the sons were here in Oshawa. Perhaps she died or else stayed behind for some reason.

They all seem awfully young to have travelled up here after the American Revolution.

I had some contact with Shane Farewell some years ago and have a phone number for him but I don't want to post it on a public message board. I don't know if he's in the phone book but If you need the phone number (although it may be out of date,) send me an e-mail at lamgraphics@aol.com and I'll give it to you.

I have lots of information about the Farewells but no organization. I looked up a lot of what I have in the Morman Church records on microfilm from Salt Lake City so they are actual legal documents.

I think John Farewell and Sarah Bennett were married in White River Junction, Vermont in 1770.

I strill can't make any connection back to England.

Sarah's parents were Samuel Bennett and Abigail (no known last name).

I do have a photograph of Acheus Moody that I got at the archives in Oshawa - he looks pretty grim in the photo- which I could scan in a e-mail to you f you have a program to open it.

That's all for now - Linda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions