Search for content in message boards

U.S. Deputy Marshal Selden Trullery Lindsey killed Bill Dalton

U.S. Deputy Marshal Selden Trullery Lindsey killed Bill Dalton

M Schouw (Lindsey) (View posts)
Posted: 14 Dec 2003 6:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 May 2005 3:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lindsey, Miller, Keene, Haley
My GGGrandfather did! His name is U.S. Deputy Marshal Selden Trullery Lindsey, of Ardmore, Oklahoma. If anyone would like to know more, or require proof of this, please contact me. I have a great respect for S.T. and would like to see the record set straight.

Maren Schouw (Lindsey/Miller/Keene/Haley surnames)

Re: U.S. Deputy Marshal Selden Trullery Lindsey killed Bill Dalton

Colonel Sir Harry Flashman VC (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2004 5:00AM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2005 3:01PM GMT
Do the records state what maker of Pistole Bill Dalton was using when he met his end?

Thank'ee
Colonel Flashman

Gloria Schouw Reck (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2004 4:02PM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2005 3:19PM GMT
Dear Mr. Flashman: (from Gloria Reck, Diamond Bar, CA)

I believe my daughter, Maren Schouw, must have posted something of which I am unaware of the details; I'll see her today and ask her precisely what she did and said. (Not that I object in any way; we share the above e-mail address so that we can collaborate.)

I am posting this as "a reply" because I'm rather inept on the Internet just yet, and could not seem to work my way to your actual e-mail address.

Sounds as though you have an interest in American Old West outlaws and lawmen. I never do this sort of thing, but in this one instance, I am going to break my rule. Sounds as though you need a copy of "our" book -- written by myself and my beloved cousin Harrell McCullough (with him shown as author) entitled "Selden Lindsey, U.S. Deputy Marshal." We published privately 1st ed. 1990, with improved (both aesthetically and in terms of content) 2nd ed. 1993. I have plenty of them in my attic. (We did manage to sell all of the first edition, and I'll never know why; the printer did an awful job.)

This book primarily tells the life story of my great grandfather, Selden Trullery Lindsey (1854-1939), who served as a U.S. Deputy Marshal in Indian Territory (now Oklahoma) for 16 years prior to Okla. statehood. He organized the posse that pursued Bill (Wm Marion) Dalton after he and cohorts had robbed the bank at Longview, Texas. Dalton was shot and killed on 8 June 1894, near Elk, Ind. Terr, now Pooleville, OK. (My cousin some years ago arranged for an historical marker to be placed at Pooleville, to direct tourists basically.)

According to Selden, Dalton was carrying a .45 when he jumped through the window of the Wallace cabin, trying to escape the cabin, for he had been informed about the deputies' presence by several boys who ran into the cabin and reported to Dalton that near the cornfield there was a man carrying a Winchester. Now that I look closely at our chapter on Dalton, I see that gr grandpa did not mention the make of Dalton's .45 he was carrying. Despite the extraordinary events of that day, I am quite sure g grandpa did not overlook that pistol, but Harrell and I managed to leave out the appropriate detail. I have it in my mind that it was a Colt .45, but I cannot document this in any way. I'm sure the pistol was confiscated, but have no idea what became of it. Possibly Selden Lindsey gave it to Jennie Dalton. Or maybe it had to be held by the authorities, at least for a time.

Years later, a man from my home town, Ardmore, OK, said a friend of his found a rifle, very old and rusted, in the woods nearby the cabin/Dalton death site, and, having read our book, wrote to us in 1991about it. (This letter we included in our 2nd edition.) He wondered if Dalton might have "stashed" that Winchester outside the cabin, just for such emergencies. This Mr. Hannum, whose friend John Boord actually found the rifle, said that "It has been 50 years since I saw the gun but, as I recall it, it looked like the Whitney-Scharf Lever Action Repeater, Model 1886, which is described in Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms, 4th ed." He said that Mr. Boord found the rifle fully loaded and that it was a .44-40 caliber. It was Mr. Boord's theory that Dalton had the rifle staked out in the woods to use if he had to leave the cabin suddenly. Mr. Hannum goes on to say that when he saw the rifle, his friend had already cleaned its layers of rust; when Mr. Boord died, his gun collection was apparently sold to an Okla. City party whose name Ed Hannum did not know.

We all thought it strange that Dalton's rifle could have gone undiscovered by anyone, from June 1894 until 1940 or 1941, but then stranger things have happened. Also, the area is still very sparsely populated and the woods and undergrowth are very dense -- what we Okies call "cross timbers."

Now that you have asked this very obvious question about Dalton's pistol, I feel embarrassed that I did not pursue this detail with cousin Harrell more closely. It's such a pertinent question. And g grandpa would have known. (For instance, he kept the bullet that killed Dalton (removed by the doctor in Ardmore), along with a couple of letters written to him by Jennie, Dalton's widow, after she returned to Calif. and the whole thing was over.)

The bullet (or "ball," the term Selden always used to refer to a bullet) and letters perished, along with most family possessions, in a house fire that also killed one of Selden's daughters in Feb. 1909. Harrell and I always intended to take a metal detector over the area but never did follow through. (I still own acreage bordering the Lindsey ranch, whereon that house stood.)

There's never enough time to do all the things we intend to do!

Selden himself carried a .38-56 Winchester carbine, mfg. in 1886 I think (and a firearms expert I consulted agreed). I have a photo of Selden holding this carbine. Selden would not use this carbine after that day, as he was upset that the bullet had not gone through Dalton's body. Turns out Selden had blamed the carbine, when it was in fact probably the new type of soft-nosed bullet (grabbed in haste when he was forming a quick posse) that was "at fault." (Lawmen felt that if a bullet passed thru the body, it would probably not be found, and that was for the better. Then the question as to whose was the fatal bullet, in any given incident, would go unanswered. Having 11 children, and having been a target of revenge on more than one occasion, Selden did not particularly want credit for having fired a fatal bullet. He especially did not want credit for Dalton's death, as there were still grown brothers of Dalton living in Kingfisher, OK, and no one knew if they were following the outlaw trail or not.

However, Ben Dalton, Bill's brother, who went to Ardmore to help Jennie and arrange for burial, etc., approached Selden, who apparently did reveal the truth to him, after he had "sized up" Ben Dalton's attitude and demeanor. Selden even showed him the fatal bullet, once it had been removed by the doc.

I'd need to quote you our entire chapter on Dalton to really explain the whole situation adequately. There were numerous complications, rumors, incorrect newspaper reports, etc. The last, bad press reports, was Selden's own fault, really, as he steadfastly refused to discuss anything with reporters, who typically disgusted him with their idiotic questions -- just as one hears about these days.

I can tell you with certainty that Bill Dalton fired at Selden first. When Dalton exited the window, Selden had yelled for him to halt, and Dalton's response was to fire at Selden. Unusually, he missed. (Had he not missed, I'd not be here today to write this. G grandpa fired, hitting Dalton near his left nipple. The bullet entered his heart, and he basically "died on the way to the ground." However, instantly after Selden fired, Caleb "Loss" Hart, Selden's deputy, fired a .44 into Dalton's back, having heard (but not actually seen) Dalton fire at Selden Lindsey. Hart's bullet might have caused Dalton to die eventually, but was certainly not in a location to be instantly fatal. (Realize that all this happened within seconds.)
Hart's bullet entered Dalton's back at about the waist level, ranging upward (said the Doc), so the Doctor felt that Dalton was already falling when Hart's bullet struck.

Lewis Hart, son of Loss Hart, told my cousin Harrell that his father had been surprised when the reporters said he, Loss, had killed Dalton. Loss said he'd never claimed any such thing. And in fact, as stated, Lindsey would not talk to the press nor did he allow any of his possemen to do so. The Commissioner in Ardmore was the first (and only one, for some time) to hear the story from Selden himself.

Essential to understanding the situation: Lindsey did not know who Dalton was until he searched the cabin immediately after Dalton died. He found money, a Longview Bank money sack, etc., but most especially a packet of letters (from Dalton to his wife, sent to addresses in Calif.) was found in Mrs. Dalton's trunk. Only then did Selden realize it was the notorious Bill Dalton himself whom he had felled.

Well, this is going on too long, for sure. I'd be happy to mail you one of our books, should you want to pursue the full story. Suffice it to say that many inaccuracies were reported in the newspapers as the headlines flashed across the country with the speed of lightning, and Loss Hart being given credit for killing Dalton was only one error among many. Selden never bothered to correct anyone outside family circles,although of course his possemen all knew precisely what had happened, as did Ben Dalton and Jennie Dalton, before the week was out. (Except Cousin Harrell doubted that Jennie knew that Selden himself fired the fatal bullet; he'd not have wanted to tell her this detail.)

For instance: Selden and his posse, en route back to Ardmore with the body, had attempted to slow its inordinate swelling (on a hot June day) by pouring cold water over it at every creek they crossed. What this did accomplish was to wash away most of the blood and the hole in Dalton's left chest was not obvious. One reporter later assumed that the .38-56 hole in the front was where Hart's .44 had entered the back and emerged thru the front. Actually, neither bullet emerged; both were removed by the Doc.

Mrs. Dalton, too, refused to talk with reporters for some time. It was a circus atmosphere once Dalton's identity was known. About 1,000 people were outside Undertaker Appollas' establishment, where Dalton's body was embalmed and prepared for shipment to Calif. The trains altered their schedules, waiting for people to visit the undertaker's; the roads leading into Ardmore were lined with people for several days.

A reporter led many people astray by saying the body was to be shipped to Guthrie, OK; no such plan existed.One of the few things the reporters get right is when they say that the possemen refused to speak with them; Selden had given them strict orders.

Eventually, around Ardmore the truth was known to many, but the headlines were past, and Selden did not care what was written. He had other things on his mind. So, when the reporters could not get any accurate info, they sorta filled in the gaps with their imaginations.

For one thing, Dalton had been reported as having been killed so many times, various papers throughout the country telegraphed their correspondents to be sure of his identity, confirm the story, etc. Some who knew Dalton well felt it could not be, for he was never known to be without a Winchester. (If the rifle in the woods WAS his, then that detail is addressed.) There were other rifles in the cabin, but not a Winchester. Dalton didn't have time to do anything but jump out the window. Having eluded the first posse Selden had organized several weeks earlier, right after the Longview robbery, perhaps Dalton was feeling a bit too confident and was not as careful as usual.

Selden had in fact given Jennie Dalton some money from the cabin (money not in the Longview bag) for he was Victorian, and felt for her plight. He was criticized by superiors for this, but he stood his ground, insisting the money had been in her trunk and confiscating it was not justified. She had two small children to care for as well.

One newspaper article credited Dalton as having served in the Calif. Legislature! (There was one named Dalton, but he was unrelated to Bill Dalton or family.) Selden admired Mrs. Dalton's poise and courage thoughout this ugliness, and she wrote him later, taking 8 pages to thank him for his special courtesy to her and her children.

We in the family think that Mrs. Dalton was also part of Selden's reason for refusing to reveal details; he didn't want her to suffer any further distress. In 1930, Bill Dalton's sister called on Lindsey to request further details, which he did provide to her at that late date.

Don't know what else I might tell you; again, an entire chapter in our book is devoted to the Dalton demise. It's actually a pretty good book -- won the American Assoc. of State and Local History award in Sept. 1992, presented in Apr 1993 by Director of the Okla. Historical Society at a banquet, as Harrell was too ill to travel to Florida for the Association's Convention in Miami.

Actually, the Univ. of Oklahoma Press wanted to publish our book but wanted certain format changes that Harrell would not agree to. They were correct, but I could not persuade him. (I own the copyright, so could have insisted.) He could be just as stubborn as great grandpa Selden Lindsey! (They were very much alike; the only prosaic thing either of them ever did was to die in bed, peacefully.) Harrell was my best friend in all the world; I shall forever mourn his loss. Life for me is not the same without him; we had a rare and wonderful rapport, despite a 32 year age difference.

But it's impossible not to love someone who thinks that everything you do is wonderful and everything you say is brilliant! Only once in a while, he'd get stubborn, as he was about the Univ. of Okla. Press. So at those rare times, I acquiesced, and he knew I would.

Don't know why your particular interest, but I appreciate it. Don't believe I answered your question very well, however. Can't believe I overlooked such an obviously relevant bit of info. There was always so much to do -- I was raising teenagers, too, during the 15 years it took us to write that book, since I lived in Calif. and Harrell in Okla. Our telephone bills were horrendous, as we spoke at length every single day for years. And I went to Okla. 4-6 times a year for several weeks at a time. My poor husband hardly knew where I'd be at any given time. The miracle is that my boss put up with me through it all.

Best regards,
Gloria Schouw Reck, Diamond Bar, CA May 20, 2004

P.S. Just realized you asked specifically about "records." The "hearing," (probably an inquest, as an officer of the court had killed someone in the line of duty) held at Paris, TX court, obviously had records, but that courthouse burned in 1916 and this particular fire was especially unfortunate for our attaining documented info. I do have affadavits done in 1930s by various of Selden's associates. One of Selden's daughters thought to accomplish this task, but the affadavits aren't full of the info we needed. They told mostly what we already knew, within the family. And of course no one mentioned Dalton's gun or guns. I have to keep reminding myself that those old-timers were tough men with great fortitude, but they would hardly be qualified as "researchers." We're usually lucky if they can spell even adequately. And no one asked them the right questions; they just wrote a story as they remembered it. My great aunt was not a researcher, either. Don't know, in fact, exactly why she made the effort to secure these affadavits. Some sort of need to try and set the record straight, I suppose, just as Harrell and I felt.

Wayne K (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2004 10:35PM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2005 4:05PM GMT
Fabulous information! I'm curious as to whether there're any of Selden Lindsey's accouterments of office, badges and so forth, floating around. Are there photos of what type badge he wore anywhere. What kind of horse and tack did he prefer?
Is there any of this type of information in your book?
You say you've a bunch of copies of the first edition yet, how much do you want for a copy?
Any info you've got will be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Wayne Kallmyer

Colonel Flashman (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2004 6:01AM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2005 4:09PM GMT
Than'ee for you informative reply.
And yes, I would be rather interested in acquiring one of the books you have for sale.
Just let me know where to frank the funds to you & I'll despatch it soonest.

Cheers
Colonel Flashman

Gloria Reck (View posts)
Posted: 16 Sep 2004 8:51AM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2005 4:10PM GMT
Surnames: Lindsey
Colonel Flashman:

Thank you for your interest in "Selden Lindsey, U.S. Deputy Marshal," by Harrell McCullough, 2nd ed., Diamond Bar, CA: Paragon Publishing, 1993. 362 pages, softbound, ISBN 0-9625915-1-3. (Harrell McCullough is the named author; copyright owned by Gloria Schouw Reck.)

Price: $15.00 USD (includes shipment via U.S. Postal Service, within U.S., book rate); $22.00 USD (includes shipment to W. Europe, England, Canada); check (U.S.) or money order (other than U.S.); no charge cards.

Order from:

Gloria Reck, Director
Paragon Publishing
2217 Dublin Lane, Unit 2
Diamond Bar, CA 91765
Tele 909 861 5104

Have 3 copies (2nd ed.) left signed by author; will hold one in reserve for you, pending your advisement.

Note: Apr. 1993 Award from American Associatin of State and Local History, which "selects outstanding state citizens for national recognition for exceptional contributions to history," and recognized "Mr. McCullough's life contribution to the enrichment and preservation of Oklahoma state and local history." Award presented Apr. 1993 by Bob Blackburn, Deputy Director, at Oklahoma Historical Society's 100th Anniversary Banquet, as illness prevented Mr. McCullough from receiving his award at the Association's National Convention in Miami, Sept. 1992.

Note: 1st ed. not available; all sold. 2nd ed. superior in every way, includes all that was in 1st ed. plus added info, far better appearance, expanded index, etc. Includes documentation (endnotes) for every chapter, biblio. of primary and secondary sources, incl. extensive listing newpaper articles; also an added Epilogue explaining loss of Fed. Court records of Paris, Tx and "stripped"/stolen files in Tyler, Tx & Henderson, Tx; Ok and Wash. DC; improved maps plus Mr. Ed Hannum's report on likely "find" (1940-41) of outlaw Bill Dalton's hidden Winchester rifle near his death site near Elk, Ind. Terr. 8 June 1894..

Gloria Reck (View posts)
Posted: 16 Sep 2004 5:48PM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2005 4:08PM GMT
Mr. Wayne Kallmyer:

Wanted to address your questions, posted 13 Sep 2004:

First of all, so sorry, you have misunderstood what I wrote about our book "Selden Lindsey, U.S. Deputy Marshal," by cousin Harrell McCullough. 1st ed. 1990 was entirely sold out. I have two signed, hard-bound, "Special Collector's First Edition" copies only (#1 of 100, with "For a Unique Cousin" written in Harrell's hand, above his signature; he kept #2 of 100 for himself, which copy is now in my possession. It is signed also. They are bound in green, with gold print on front and spine. I suppose one might find one for sale somewhere, but this would be pure chance. Have three 1st ed. softbound copies, one of which is pristine (set aside for my only grandson). The other two have Harrell's scribbles and notes throughout, underlined areas, paper-clipped pages, etc. They were his "working copies," he called them. Someone told me that Amazon.com, some time back, had a couple of "used" softbound copies, and I believe they were first editions. Obviously, 100 copies were hard-bound, and they were primarily sold and a few were distributed by Harrell to various family members, as he pleased. 3,000 copies of softbound 1st ed. were printed and sold. Can't for the life of me think why. The book was just plain ugly. The printer (frankly, chosen by Harrell) did a terrible job. I was so upset when I first saw it I could not speak.

And the cover was ugly, too. It was supposed to have been 6x9, but printer put out a 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 book -- with almost no margins. Many copies had pages out of order, or missing pages entirely. Printer was supposed to run replacements, and I presume he did. Realize, too, I did a "camera ready" mss. on a $10K IBM with whopping 20 megabyte drive. And you couldn't do italics!! Could have paid Scribner to publish and been better off !!

Well, you get the idea of the disaster. Only half joking, I wrote a letter of "resignation" to dear Harrell. Told him I'd handle every detail of 2nd ed. or else.

Then, 2nd ed. done by me during 1992, printed 1993. (New computer & printer, could do italics!) Have maybe 1K copies left. I'm a researcher/writer, not a marketer; don't care for the role and don't do it well.

"Selden Lindsey, U.S. Deputy Marshal," by Harrell McCullough, Diamond Bar, CA: Paragon Publishing, 2nd ed., 1993, 362 pages, softbound, ISBN-0-9625915-1-3.

Price: $15.00 US (includes shipping within U.S.); check or money order (no charge cards). Order from:

Paragon Publishing
2217 Dublin Lane, Unit 2
Diamond Bar, CA 91765
Tele 909 861 5104

As for Selden Lindsey's ACCOUTERMENTS you asked about. (Not at all sure why this topic interests you. There's some motive behind your question I've not grasped, but I'll do my best to provide info. Are you a collector ?

Unfortunately, the one really fine portrait photo we have of Selden Lindsey does not show his badge. He's turned just far enough to one side that the badge is obscured. The badge as described to me by Great Aunt Zoma (Selden's daughter) was simply a six pointed star, with each star point having a "bubble" end. (Selden's younger brother, Hilburn H. Lindsey, who was also a Deputy U.S. Marshal for a time, was also a policeman on the Paris, Texas force. We do have a photo of him with the police badge clearly shown.)

Selden's homes suffered two fires. The first was in Feb 1909. Running from the barn, Selden spotted his 15 year old daughter, my Great Aunt Ethel, running from the house, her clothes afire. He put out the flames, but her burns were too severe, and she lived only another week.

Selden's badge and most of the family possession were lost in a 1915 fire, when the house by the Big Hill burned. The .38-56 bullet that felled Bill Dalton, and Jennie Dalton's letters were consumed.

In the mentioned portrait, Selden is seated, holding perpendicular the .38-56 Model 1886 Winchester Carbine that put a bullet through Dalton's heart. There's a story about this Carbine, but you'll have to buy the book to know the story. (Did I say I don't "market?") Actually, the story is a bit long to include here. This Carbine too perished in the 1915 fire.

Selden received criticism for releasing to Jennie (Blivens) Dalton about $900 found in her personal valise in the Wallace cabin near Elk, Ind. Terr. This money was not Longview Bank money, and Selden had felt justified in giving it to Jennie, as she had two children to provide for and he felt sorry for her predicament. (Some agency in Ardmore had even handed Jennie an invoice for armed guard protection she had not requested and did not want. And Ardmore's Appolllas' undertakers had to be paid for Bill's embalming. Jennie planned to return the body to the home of her father, Cyrus Blivens, in Livingston, Calif.)

As for horse tack, I have no idea what prejudices or preferences Selden had in that regard. Selden's horse I do know about. Minnie had been a race horse, of good Missouri stock, brought to Fannin Co. Texas from Callaway Co. Mo. Selden's wife, Nina Dicken Miller, whom he married 10 Feb 1881 in Gainesville, Cooke Co. TX, was the daughter of Elizabeth Hopewell (Keene) Miller.

The Keene family was a large, prosperous family of Fannin Co. TX, having moved there from Boone and Callaway Counties, MO in 1852. The Keenes were frequently doctors (e.g., Nina's grandfather, Henry Keene), lawyers and preachers. But they also loved fine horses and made regular trips back to Missouri, and even to Kentucky, to purchase exceptional stock. (Owning fine horses was more than an avocation to the Keenes remaining in Scott Co. Ky. The world-renowned Keeneland Stables and Race Course lies on the western edge of Lexington, from whence came "Secretariat" and others of similar ilk, to this day.)

It was through the Keene family that Selden acquired Minnie. (Sorry, no illustrious name such as "Vindicator" or "Keene's Pride.") She had been retired very early as a result of some small injury that quickly healed. Minnie was favored by Selden above all other horses, although he did have other mounts available, if Minnie was due to foal. Minnie spooked on occasion, however, as when she first saw the resident ghost at Wolf Creek Crossing, panicked and jumped off the bank into the water, with Selden following in a decidedly undignfied manner.

Minnie eventually died giving birth to Big Boy, whom Nina then raised on cornbread and buttermilk. Big Boy was a duplicate of Robert E. Lee's horse "Traveler." Gentle and most intelligent, Big Boy would allow the Lindsey children to pile on willy-nilly, 3 and 4 at a time. But if the children tried to ride him as far as the Mulkey store, Big Boy would turn around and return home when he came to the creek. Seems Big Boy established the creek as the outer boundary line -- he knew the Lindsey children were not to go beyond that point.

Grandfather Guy Lindsey said Big Boy would not allow a drunk to fall off him; he'd sway from side to side to keep the drunk in the saddle. I didn't ask Grandfather how he knew this for sure. And Big Boy liked to jump, even when he was old. There was one place on the Lindsey ranch where Big Boy would deliberately leave the trail so he could jump over a particular fallen tree. This was another spot where Big Boy insisted on having his own way.

I have Great Grandpa Selden's pocket knife and his gold watch -- a Burlington Special with a small second hand at 6 o'clock. On the back cover, well worn, is what appears to be a "Woodsman of the World" symbol; on the front cover, very elaborate, decorative lettering "S T L." On the inside front cover is deeply engraved "S. T. Lindsey."

In the box with the watch are two spearpoints -- not arrowheads -- I found on the Lindsey ranch. Dr. Donald Wycoff, Director of the Oklahoma Archaelogical Survey in the 1970s, advised me that my treasures were made by Caddoan Indians of about 3,500 B.C.E. -- thus about 5,500 years old. I can find them at selected places on the Lindsey ranch with predictable ease.

Two weapons that belonged to Selden Lindsey, passed on to me by his grandson Harrell McCullough are a Winchester .32, rim fire, single shot and a Wester-Field double barreled, 12 gauge shotgun.

My final treasure that belonged to my Great Grandpa, Selden Trullery Lindsey (19 Dec 1854 Wiseville, Claiborne Parish, LA -- 26 Mar 1939 Ardmore, Carter Co. OK) is a "Bob Dudley" Double Barreled, Laminated Steel Shotgun, serial number 88108. Selden's son-in-law, Jack W. Fair, made an affidavit dated 22 Jan 1968 to the effect that this "Bob Dudley" Shotgun was used by Selden during his days as a Deputy U.S. Marshal out of the Federal Court at Ft. Smith, Arkansas and then out of the Federal Court at Paris, Texas. Great Uncle Jack goes on in the affidavit to state that the gun was in his own possession from the time Selden died (26 Mar 1939). Then, I was startled to see, the gun was "conveyed" to Nola & Charles Don Carlos of Palo Cedro, Calif, in 1960, and on 28 Dec 1967 it was returned to Uncle Jack, as originally agreed. I have no idea who the Don Carlos couple are, and am astounded anyone would "convey" this gun to anyone outside the family, even if for a brief time. Makes no sense to me. But it is safe and sound in my hands, now, and will remain in the blood line.

I want to state categorically that none of these weapons was responsible for the mysterious demise and final trip to the Ravia Cemetery of Jesse Hayes, assassin of Selden Lindsey's son Benjamin Battle Lindsey (8 May 1885 Jimtown, Ind. Terr -- 22 Dec 1910 Ravia, OK). For the weapon that surprised Hayes (in a dark alley, I think, late on a rainy nite) was a double-barreled L.C. Smith, using #4 shot -- not owned by a Lindsey. Trust me on this.

Have I answered most of your questions, Mr. Kallmyer? Surely hope so, as now I am weary because it is past 9 a.m. and I wrote all this out instead of sleeping.

P.S. I believe that somewhere I have a "sketch" of Selden's Deputy Marshal Badge, done by someone in the family, but I cannot locate that sketch just now. At some time in the past I also ran across a book that contained drawings of the many types of badges worn by federal deputies -- multiple designs even in the 1880s and 1890s, if I recall correctly. I will keep my eye open for similar or same book. Might even find some record of badge types on the Internet.

P.S. S. You did not ask about documents. I do have originals (much faded and in delicate condition) of various formatted documents of Selden Lindsey's warrants, as Deputy U.S. Marshal, e.g. one is from Western District of Louisiana, to arrest Melvin Barber for Assault with Intent to Kill. Another to arrest P.P. Barber, charged with murder of McDaniels. Then, 8 May 1897, Paris, Texas, an affidavit by J.S. Williams, U.S. Marshal for Eastern District of Texas, avowing that Lindsey is faithful, vigorous, honest, truthful and fair, regarded as one of the very best of his entire corps of Deputies, etc. Then, also signed by J.S. Williams (he's known as "Sheb" Williams), U.S. Marshal, Eastern Distr. of Texas, appointing S.T. Lindsey of Pickens County, Ind. Terr (the original county name for Chickasaw Nation) as U.S. Deputy Marshal, signed 1 July 1896.

National Archives advised me in 1986 that beginning July 1896, the marshal was required to send to Dept. of Justice a copy of the oath of office of each deputy. Same letter advised that their file of correspondence within Dept. re Dalton and Doolin gangs does not show any names of deputies involved in the death of Dalton. (These files seem to be administrative, and instructive, in that deputies are directed to find these outlaw fugitives and take them into custody.) I have about a dozen originals of docs appointing Selden as deputy in various districts. I do not know how it is these items escaped the fires, unless a trunk was somehow salvaged intact.

If not sooner, by now you're wishing you had never asked !
Gloria Schouw Reck, Diamond Bar, CA

Wayne Kallmyer (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2004 8:55PM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2005 4:09PM GMT
Dear Mrs. Reck,
WOW!! You honor me, truly I did not expect to have such a wonderful response. I think I really did not expect much of an answer at all given that the last post was several months ago.
Your answers to my questions far exceeded what I'd hoped for.
You are right of course there is indeed a motive for my query. I am a burgeoning old west aficionado, mostly a direct result of my collaboration with a fellow who is providing me with an outlet for my creative talents and desire to focus on things other than my deteriorating health.
At 43 I suffered an on the job injury that brought to light a condition that has pretty much robbed me of the rest of my life's worth of active living. I used to drive truck long-haul and am no longer able to do ANYTHING much physically.
So I've been in the process of reinventing myself these last 4 years. I, luckily, came into contact with a gentleman who's an antiques dealer and is himself most interested in Old West Memorabilia.
Thank GOD for Ebay, a system that has provided me with the means to make a couple extra dollars through providing listing services to people. I do so for a small commission that helps to offset my ruined financial condition. Mostly though I think it helps take my mind off of my deteriorating spinal column (probably more info than you wanted)
The collector client mentioned above, recently purchased a collection of badges and memorabilia from the turn of the last century that was the property of the first Sheriff of Vancouver Washington. Many of these items I had the distinct pleasure of listing on Ebay for him. In the process of doing all this I've come to really enjoy the parts of my job that have to do with researching various pieces. I seem to be developing a thirst for information about the Old West that dovetails nicely with my Client's interests. (Now I'm writing a book!)
My client recently purchased a piece that has Selden Lindsey’s name on it. A small billy club made of rosewood that has a shield (badge) attached to it. This led to me doing research on the name and that led me to purchasing for him a copy of yours and Harrell McCullough’s book then ultimately this message thread.
Having read accounts on Deputy Marshal Lindsey’s exploits, then the book and then finding your message thread and actually being able to converse with you – WOW!
Personally I find accounts of men like Selden to be of nearly unlimited interest. Wish I were half the man he was (I wish a lot of other men were too.).
So, I have photo’s of the little billy club that looks to me as though it were a presentation piece commemorating Selden’s retirement from his position as a U.S. Marshal.
My client says after examining it closely believes that it is a genuine badge that has been worked around the little club, it has the normal Deputy U.S. Marshal S. T. Lindsey stamped into the shield. However the word RETIRED appears under Selden’s name looking to have been added (the letters are stamped instead of engraved and are slightly off kilter as though done by hand) perhaps just prior to the completion of the billy as a presentation piece.
My client has had the piece appraised by a couple of individuals who are deemed experts in the field. They have determined that the piece is indeed authentic. Having you be able to look at it would be above and beyond the wildest expectations that I began to develop as I started research on Deputy Marshal Lindsey.
Would you be willing to have a look at one or two of the photo’s? If so I have a couple already prepared and could easily email them to you.
Thank you SO much for your comprehensive response, time and effort in replying to me/us.
Sincerely,
Wayne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions