Search for content in message boards

Orphanages on Northern Peninsula

Orphanages on Northern Peninsula

Posted: 7 Jul 2012 9:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know if there were any other orphanages on the northern MI peninsula in the 1910s-1920s besides Holy Names in Marquette? If so, where would records for these orphanages be kept. Thanks for any help. Larry

Re: Orphanages on Northern Peninsula

Posted: 19 Jul 2012 4:58PM GMT
Surnames: Messier, Cloutier
I believe there was an Orphanage started by Bishop Baraga, Chief Assinins (not sure that is spelled correctly) asked Bishop Baraga to start a school for the Indian children in the Baraga area. It was organized and run by the Sisters of St. Joseph. My gr-grandmother and her sister were there in the 1890’s.. I have written to the sisters and asked them where this Orphanage was physically located but so far no answer. My Gr-grandmothers name Messier/Masey/Macy and if anyone has any info on her I would appreciate any help.

Hope you find who you are looking for,
Jeanne Oas

Posted: 19 Jul 2012 5:01PM GMT
Thanks, Jeanne. I did find that to be there, and I guess that the records are kept by the Catholic Diocese in Marquette. It would seem that one has to go there to view the records. Hope you find the information on your gr-grandmother.... Larry

Posted: 19 Jul 2012 6:12PM GMT
Larry,

That's more info than I had. I could not find where my gr-grandma's orphanage was... so thank you. I will go there one of these days and check out their records.

I live an hour away.

Jeanne

Posted: 19 Jul 2012 7:19PM GMT
You might want to check to see if you have to make an appt to see the records. If you do go, would it be possible for you to check the records for a female child hwose birth date was 24 Jan 1915. Supposedly the last name was Matson. Supposedly, several siblings were placed there, as many as five???. I would be very happy to reimburse you for any costs... my email is LarfromCA@aol.com Thanks so much.
Larry

Posted: 20 Jul 2012 12:38AM GMT
Larry,

Yes, I will make an appointment next week. BTW... my husbands mother was a Matson.

send me an email with any and all info you have and I will look it up.

Jeanne
jayoas@hotmail.com

Posted: 19 Aug 2013 6:51PM GMT
my grandfather was in this orphanage about the same time as your great grandmother. He was born in 1880, came to America when he was 5 yrs old and then put in this orphanage. I was just up to Baraga and did find the site of the orphanage, now seeking info. on it. Grandpa wss there until he was 17 yrs. old. Last name of Trentin/Trentini. His mother was german, father Italian

Mary Lee

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 7:32AM GMT
Surnames: Lompre, Guenard, Fifer, Deitz
There was a catholic orphanage in Marquette, MI called St. Joseph's. It burned down in 1903. Hopefully the records were kept in another building. An old book called the "History of the diocese of Sault Ste. Marie and Marquette" is available online. If you can get through it, there is a history of the orphanage and school. I downloaded the kindle version, which also had a few pictures. Link is below.
http://www.archive.org/stream/historyofsault02rezeuoft/histo...

I am looking for information on 5 Lompre sisters left at the St. Joseph's Orphanage in Marquette. Melinda, Amelia, Exilda are three of them. One could be named Rose and the 5th is unknown.
Their parents were Maxim Lompre and Melia LaForest. I have seen many variations on the spellings of Lompre- Lamprey, Lomprey, Lumphrey, Longpre, Lompres. Maxim has been recorded as Maxine, and Melia as Emmaline. They were French Canadian.

Melinda married Joseph Posont in nearby Ishpeming, MI in 1900. They lived in Manistique, MI. B. 1879, d 1919.

Amelia married Frank Fifer in 1898 in Superior, WI. B 1877, d 1915.

Exilda married Henry Guenard in 1898 in Superior, WI. B. 1884, death unknown. Henry was married Mabel Peterson by 1910.

Rose had a child with Henry Deitz in 1903 in Superior, WI. I have no birth, marriage, or death record for her. She was listed as an inmate and seamstress at St Joseph's in 1910.

I know nothing about the 5th girl at all. She was not at the orphanage in 1910 and was born after 1880.

These girls had at least 6 older brothers, Joseph, Narcisse, John, Philip, Maxim, and George, born between 1862 and 1875.

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 7:41AM GMT
The book I mentioned also has info on the Assinin's orphanage. I haven't read the whole book but it is very informative on the entire UP and Mackinac Island and City. The history contained in the book is quite valuable, but some may not enjoy the strong catholic influence.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic