Search for content in message boards

Dickerson DNA Franklin, Ark.

Dickerson DNA Franklin, Ark.

Posted: 16 Jan 2012 6:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jan 2012 4:40PM GMT
Surnames: DICKERSON
My ancestor is James Dickerson b 1812-20, d c1865 Franklin Co. Ark. I think he may be brother to Nathaniel Eli Dickerson 1801 S.C. - 3/29/1877 Johnson Co., Ark. Does anyone know what DNA group these Dickersons test in? Thanks.

Re: Dickerson DNA Franklin, Ark.

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 1:33AM GMT
Edited: 1 Sep 2012 3:26PM GMT
I am a direct descendant of Nathaniel Eli Dickerson born 1801 in Caswell County, N. C. My brother is getting ready to take a DNA test as he is a direct descendant male in the Dickerson line

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 8:08AM GMT
Edited: 1 Sep 2012 3:28PM GMT
I would be interested in learning what Haplogroup he tests in. I am going to try to get my brother to take the test--he is direct descendant of James Dickerson from Franklin Co.

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 12:59PM GMT
Edited: 16 Oct 2012 4:21PM GMT
Surnames: DICKERSON/DICKENSON/DICKASON
I haven't forgotten about you. My brother has done the test and it has been sent in. The results are supposed to be back on Nov. 30, 2012. We are using the familytreedna website and the Dickerson/Dickenson/Dickason, etc. study. I will keep in touch.

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 6:53AM GMT
Thanks for keeping in touch. Did you know about the new DNA test on ancestry.com? It is for both men and women. They are supposed to use the results of test to put indicators on charts about other ancestry.com members with possible common ancestors. Costs $99.

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 8:34AM GMT
Edited: 5 Nov 2012 4:24PM GMT
I did the new DNA test on Ancestry. Results show me as 4th cousin to a descendant of Garland Dickerson, brother of Nathaniel 1775-1832. So James must be in this line of Dickersons; but don't know exactly where. I do know that he came to Arkansas before Nathaniel Eli. He was in Arkansas on 1850 census--when Nathaniel Eli was still on Perry County, TN census.

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 3:53PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2013 10:08PM GMT
Surnames: DICKERSON, ROYALL
I believe the date of Nathaniel Eli's move to Arkansas was 1852 from Perry County, Tennessee. He supposedly came with his two brothers and his cousin, Nathaniel Terry Dickerson.
I assumed that Nathaniel Terry Dickerson was the son of Garland Dickerson. However, I was contacted after the DNA test by a descendant of the Nathaniel Terry Dickerson who went with them to Arkansas. This Nathaniel Terry Dickerson was born in 1814. After some research, I believe that this Nathaniel Terry Dickerson was the son of William Terry Dickerson. William Terry Dickerson is listed on the Caswell County, N. C. Census in 1800 as Kerry Dickerson (is hard to read and should be Terry Dickerson). William Terry fought in the War of 1812 and was killed in Louisiana as part of that conflict in 1815. He was probably in the Battle of New Orleans commanded by Andrew Jackson. His wife, Nancy Royall Dickerson was back in Caswell County and died in 1814. I believe that she must have died giving birth to Nathaniel Terry Dickerson in 1814. Afterward, the kids were farmed out to relatives. Nathaniel Terry Dickerson was raised by a James Dickerson in Maury County, Tennessee. This may be the James that you are talking about. The woman who emailed me said that Nathaniel Terry Dickerson didn't stay long in Arkansas but when down to Texas where he murdered a Norwegian man and fled the law into Arkansas. Hope to hear from you soon.

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 3:53PM GMT
This post was deleted by a board administrator on 31 Jan 2013 10:17PM GMT

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 6:03PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2013 10:21PM GMT
Thanks so much for the good information. It looks like my earlier reply didn't go thru, so I will try again.
Marker on grave of my James shows his date of birth as Aug 20, 1822, so he was younger than this Nathaniel Terry. But I wonder if he may have come to Franklin County, Ark. with him. There was a Nathaniel T. in Franklin Cpunty in 1840; James would have been 18 then. James was on 1850 census of Franklin County, with his family. I willl see what I can find on the James who raised Nathaniel Terry.

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 5:29PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2013 10:22PM GMT
Hi. Just wondered if your brother had gotten his results. Curious if he is in the same group as the Dickenson/Dickerson line of Don Dickenson, whose comprehensive tree with many Dickersons documented, is out on the web.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic