Search for content in message boards

John Eckstein

John Eckstein

Posted: 25 Feb 2009 10:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Eckstein, Simonek, Ihlenfeldt, Koller
John Eckstein born in Libkov, Bohemia in 1821 emigrated to Kewaunee County in 1876. I am in possession of a Land Grant selling 40 acres in Carlton Township in 1875 (dated 15 Sep 1875. The Austrian Passport and Ship's Ticket are dated so it would appear he could not have been in the US in September 1875. Was it possible for someone to purchase land while not yet in the US?
A 1912 map of Carlton Township shows a tract of 80 acres belonging to John Eckstein.
This particular farm was tended by his son also John well into the 20th century.
Gregory Eckstein
Florida

Re: John Eckstein

Posted: 11 Jun 2009 12:46AM GMT
Surnames: Eckstein
Gregory Eckstein, would you email me direct at arleyrider2003 at yahoo.com

and sent me your phone no. Thanks, Mike Gallagher

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 4:03PM GMT
This sound like my relative. Haven't been looking on Ancestry for some time & now I see something on John Eckstein. John Jr. married my great grandmother, Barbara (Novak-Krofta)Simonek. Her parents are George & Anna Novak but on the marriage record, it shows her father as George Simonek and her mother as Anna Novak. I do have a copy of their marriage certificate which I had gotten at Kewaunee Deeds Office some years ago. The son, John, lived with his daughter (Anna Eckstein-Repitz) in his last years.

It's possible that he may have known someone who had told him about the land prior to moving to the US and he purchased the land to move his family onto the land upon arriving to the US. That may have been what brought him to the US with his family. I'm sure the owners didn't care as long as they got their money. I'm hoping to travel to Kewaunee County in mid May. I could ask to see what kind of an answer they give me.

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 6:38PM GMT
We are in the same family. My grandfather was Joseph Eckstein, brother of John.
I have learned from other sources that there actually were men traveling in Europe selling land grants. My remaining question would be, how did an illiterate peasant have the money to buy a land grant?
You will find the gravesites of both Johns in the St. Joseph Cemetery, Carlton, Kewaunee, WI.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions