Search for content in message boards

Following hints of living persons results in change of name to "Private"

Following hints of living persons results in change of name to "Private"

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 2:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Apr 2013 2:24PM GMT
This morning, suddenly, every time I follow a hint on a living person and continue to save the hint, the name in MY record will be changed to "Private" and I have to RE-TYPE the name to save it. It does not do this for deceased people. This is a royal pain. I take it this was the long delayed "improvement" to the system...

It was also a royal pain to discover that there is no way to directly contact anyone at Ancestry.com about this problem.

Re: Following hints of living persons results in change of name to "Private"

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 4:26PM GMT
Welcome to the 21st century of Privacy Laws.
Your not supposed to list anyone LIVING.

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 5:21PM GMT
I suppose that would include myself... Ancestry.com suddenly approaches uselessness.

Seriously now, I thought that was why Ancestry.com automatically marked as "Private" living persons to those looking in on one's tree. Was that deemed too lenient?

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 6:22PM GMT
That is why there are so many private trees on ancestry.
With ID theft, all they need is your name & dob, and not all people that go to genealogy websites are honest to g-d genealogist, a lot of the genealogist websites are getting hit with spam, hackers etc.
Only put personal info in a book, never on public websites.

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 6:23PM GMT
Now no hints can be followed so perhaps they are working to correct the problem...

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 9:11PM GMT
Apparently they are NOT working to fix this. AND I have to ask, why would I myself have to be private to me?

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 9:28PM GMT
Edited: 18 Apr 2013 9:30PM GMT
What are you posting that they are blocking as "private"?

Or as you said trying to open a "hint" not sure what that means.

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 9:29PM GMT
This is a weird one - the tree owner certainly should be able to view the profiles created by them! I have not seen this. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 11:01PM GMT
I am encountering the same problem when I try to save hints to living individuals in my private tree. The name, dob and pob fields are replaced with "Private" in the name field; the dob field gets replaced with the dob shown in the hint and the pob field is usually empty as there is no pob info shown in the hint. It even occurs when the hint I am saving is the SSDI death record.

The problem first appeared last night when using Chrome on my ipad and this afternoon it was happening on my pc when using IE.

Switch to the BETA save - Problem is Resolved

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 11:09PM GMT
If you switch to the new BETA save, this problem is resolved. It only seems to be happening in the "old" save for me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions