Search for content in message boards

Did SS Gripsholm passengers go through Ellis Island in 1947?

Did SS Gripsholm passengers go through Ellis Island in 1947?

Posted: 31 Jul 2011 5:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Przednowek
Father was a passenger on the SS Gripsholm leaving Gothenburg on January 31, 1947 and arriving in NY, NY on February 11, 1947. I can't find any records relating to where the passengers disembarked or were checked. One family member says it was NOT Ellis Island, but does not know more. Would like to find out where he and his siblings were processed in order to find further records.

I already have the Gripsholm passenger list record, but it gives no details other than "New York, NY."

Re: Did SS Gripsholm passengers go through Ellis Island in 1947?

Posted: 1 Aug 2011 4:47AM GMT
"One family member says it was NOT Ellis Island"

That is true since Ellis Island ceased being the major immigration processing center for the Port of New York after 1924.
==============================
"Would like to find out where he and his siblings were processed, , ,"

They were processed at the US consulate in their country of residence.

Posted: 1 Aug 2011 12:19PM GMT
After 1924 Ellis Island was no longer used as an immigrant processing station. Processing was done at a US Embassies or Consulates in the immigrants home country

Ellis Island remained in use until 1954, HOWEVER it was used only as a detention and deportation center for those immigrants with various issues that detention was required. During and right after WW II it was used to house German, Italian and Japanese suspected of espionage, sabatoge, etc..

1,711 passenger were on that ship on the date you mentioned. If you notice columns 12-14 information is given in regards to the VISA that was issued, including place and date.

Robert Jerin
Croatian Heritage Museum
Cleveland Ohio

Posted: 1 Aug 2011 8:55PM GMT
Thank you!! I knew some pieces of that information but couldn't find a way to put it all together. You have been most helpful. :-)

Posted: 1 Aug 2011 9:22PM GMT
My pleasure to help when I am able

Robert

Posted: 26 Aug 2011 11:25PM GMT
My husband and I came back on the Gripsholm from Bremerhaven Germany in Nov. 1947 and we came into NY WE WERE PROSSESED IN FORT HAMILTON New York. Iam looking for information On Cookston Decendent of Andrew Cookson 1790 I am Lela Cookston Brown

Posted: 27 Aug 2011 1:32PM GMT
However... this was NOT the same as being processed through Ellis Island prior to 1924!

Prior to 1924 aliens got on a ship, came to American and were processed at immigrant processing stations, such as Ellis Island (others existed at Baltimore, Boston, Philadelphia and Canada border crossings and other ports in the Gulf of Mexico and the west coast).

After 1924 aliens were in fact processed at a US Embassy or Consulate in the alien's HOME COUNTRY.

Your having been processed through Fort Hamilton is NOT the same.

Interesting!
Name: Lela Brown
Arrival Date: 28 Nov 1947
Birth Year: 1927
Birth Location: Wyoming
Birth Location Other: Upton
Port of Departure: Bremerhaven, Germany
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Henry Gibbins

Robert Jerin

Posted: 27 Aug 2011 1:38PM GMT
Dear knit

below are the 2 pages of the manifest for your Przednowek family, notice that they were processed at the US Embassy at Antwerp, Belgium

Robert Jerin
Attachments:

Posted: 27 Aug 2011 5:29PM GMT
I had gone to Germany in Nov 1946 to join my husband we came home in Nov. 1947 I was a roomate of a lady from England she had two children her husband was also on the ship the family came to fort Hamilton also I never say the again the Military should be able to tell you where they were prossesed.

Posted: 27 Aug 2011 6:53PM GMT
Thank you Robert. I was able to find these pages after the assistance you gave me about a month ago. We are now trying to find documentation of family members who lived in Belgium and Poland prior to or during the Holocaust. That's the "missing link" for us.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions