Search for content in message boards

Rebecca (Farrel) Roe .

Rebecca (Farrel) Roe .

Posted: 5 Jul 2011 2:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Wife of Thomas Roe. Died abt. 1860 in Montique. Would like to find when she died and cause of death. Thankyou for any help you can provide.
Colleen

Re: Rebecca (Farrel) Roe .

Posted: 5 Jul 2011 3:59AM GMT
1861 census Montague Lanark
ROE
Thomas, b Ireland, 36, Weslayan Methodist
Rebecca, b Ireland 30
T W, 10
E J, 6
Zach, 4
Sarah, 2
M E, 1

She must have died after census in 1861 as if she had died prior there would have been a note beside her name saying that she had died in the past year.
As registration didn't begin until 1869, unless you can find church records, I doubt if you will find out her cause of death.
I checked the deaths on Ancestry.ca for Rebecca but no luck.

Here is a site for cemeteries in Lanark County.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onlanark/cemeteries/

Posted: 5 Jul 2011 8:10AM GMT
Hi Colleen - Familysearch shows "Rebekah Ferrel" who died Aug. 28, 1863 in Montague Twp. Spouse - Thomas Roe. They were married July 5, 1850 in Anglican Parish of Merrickville.
Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid shows Thomas, Rebecca and several children buried in Christ Church Cemetery, Montague, Lanark Co.
Gail R.

Posted: 5 Jul 2011 8:02PM GMT
Thanks Gail,
The "Thomas" buried there is not Rebecca's husband but their son. Thomas married a second time to a "Maria Dunbar" not sure of their marriage date but my grandfather was born to them in Jan. 1865, so I guess it would be in late 1863 or 64. Do you have any documents that say what Rebekka died of? I'm guessing childbirth but not sure.
Regards
Colleen

Posted: 6 Jul 2011 12:03AM GMT
thanks for the information. I now need to search for the church in which they would have belonged. Again, thankyou for your help.
Regards, Colleen

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 10:18PM GMT
Surnames: ROE
Hi Colleen,

I was at Rebecca's grave a few weeks ago. She died in 1863 (exact date hard to read). See photo of her headstone attached. Three of her children are buried with her, according to the headstone.

The newly erected sign calls this an Anglican Cemetery but the Roes buried there were Methodists, as per baptism records (and other evidence):

Methodist Baptisms, Montague Township

Children of Thomas and Rebecca:

• Richard F, born 25/02/1854
• Eliza Jane, 04/01/1855
• Richard, born 28/01/1857
• Mary Hester, 22/02/1860

Child of Thomas and Maria:

• John Dunbar, born 03/01/1865

http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/ontario/baptisms/montaguebapt.pdf
Attachments:

Posted: 13 Nov 2012 3:23AM GMT
Thankyou for the gravesite Photo, this is the first time I've seen it. Also for doing reseach on my behalf. The pieces are coming to-gether, not sure where I would search for death records but maybe the town would be a start.
Thank-you
Colleen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic