Search for content in message boards

BELFIELD'S STORE IN MONTROSS, VA.

BELFIELD'S STORE IN MONTROSS, VA.

Posted: 29 Oct 2008 10:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for any info of a Belfield's Store in or near Montross, Va., back around 1920. The store was on the road going toward Chandler's Mill Pond, on the outskirts of Montross. It was on the left side of road near the old Movie Hall. It was a Log Cabin Store, supposely built by my grandfather, for Mr. Belfield. There was a stand in front of the store where ice cream and such was sold. There was a house behind the store where Mr. Belfield lived. I was told that Mr. Belfield was an invalid...and had a roof built over a walk way, from his house to the store, that he used for bad weather. All that was left in 2000, was the Log Cabin.
I would like to know what the name of this Belfield was, and any info about this store.

Re: BELFIELD'S STORE IN MONTROSS, VA.

Posted: 28 Jun 2012 5:57PM GMT
Surnames: Belfield
My grandmother wanted me to post this for you, since she has the answers. She does not have an account.

"The log cabin store on top of Chandler's Mill Pond hill in Montross, Va. was owned by my grandfather, William Meriwether Belfield, and my grandmother, Mary Susan Lyell, his wife. He was born in 1872 and died around 1933 when I was 3+ yrs. old.
The original log cabin is still standing in the same spot where first built, but now sits between a fork in two roads - the old Mill Pond road and Rt. 3.
It became the living room to an added extension for a house that exists there.
The stand for selling produce eventually was moved across the road on the left to the "Sumner" home as a summer playhouse for her two granddaughters. Mrs. Nan Sumner served as mayor of Montross.
My grandparents also owned a farm on Peach Grove Lane, which was across the woods from Mrs. Sumner. They gave it to their daughter, Dorothy Lyell Belfield, who married James Alfred Newton, who were my parents. My three sisters and I grew up on that farm.
My name is Dorothy (Newton) Moore, their oldest child - born in 1932 -now 80 years old.

Re: BELFIELD'S STORE IN MONTROSS, VA.

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 11:57PM GMT
I am rather late replying to your message. I just wanted to thank you both for giving me this information about Belfield's Store. My mother had told me about this store, she passed away in 2005 at 91 years old. She also told me that Mr. Belfield hired two of her brothers to help around the store, the year, I don't know. I found this very interesting.. and when she told me her father had helped build the log cabin, it was even more interesting, as he was
a good carpenter in those days. Again Thanks !
per page

Find a board about a specific topic