Search for content in message boards

Can no longer save a copy of an image to my computer?

Can no longer save a copy of an image to my computer?

Posted: 30 Aug 2009 3:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
I used to be able to right click on a census image and save a copy to my computer but now I can't. Has this ability been taken away from me? It seems that I can print an image or order a fancy copy but right clicking doesn't work and there doesn't appear to any way to save a copy.

If it has been removed as a features its horrible because I like attaching them onto my research on my computer to look at later.

I'm currently using firefox as my browser.

Re: Can no longer save a copy of an image to my computer?

Posted: 30 Aug 2009 5:30AM GMT
Right clicking is not working for me any more, either, using WinXP & FF3.5.2.

Click the "Save" button and you should be given an option to save to your computer.

Posted: 31 Aug 2009 9:43AM GMT
I have XP/IE8. I just tried right click and 'save picture as' and it worked for me. I just don't get how weird ancestry.com bugs act.

Posted: 4 Sep 2009 4:58PM GMT
I've been e-mailing with Holli at Ancestry's troubleshooting site. It's awful!! I, too, am not able to save either way. When I click 'SAVE' the pop up comes up and disappears...can't right click, and can't print...nothing. I have Windows XP and Internet Exp 8. Help

Posted: 4 Sep 2009 5:55PM GMT
I had to download Firefox, clear my cache, reinstall the enhanced image viewer, and now all is well. Holli at ancestry said that "We are still not fully functional with IE 8 yet."

Posted: 4 Sep 2009 9:45PM GMT
I’ve been having exactly the same problems: can’t save, can’t print, when I click the ‘save’ button the box pops up then disappears, & right-clicking on an image has no effect whatsoever; when I emailed ancestry I was told that it’s because I’m using IE8, yet I’ve been using that ever since it was released, & this problem only started a few weeks back – around the time the new-look site was launched.
I was offered two possible solutions: either click on the compatability view button (which works on every page except for downloads), or use Firefox. Well, I have found that I can save images with that, but I really don’t like Firefox, & don’t see why I should have to use a completely different browser just to access one website – and the only site I use which I’m actually paying for access to, at that!

Since IE8 is the current version of the world's most popular browser, surely Ancestry should have made sure that their software was fully compatible with it before releasing their own new version? Cos as things stand at the moment, some of us aren't getting our money's worth from our subscriptions :-(

Posted: 5 Sep 2009 3:41AM GMT
What is the verison of Internet Explorer 8? bet its 8.0.6001.18813 Is yous a Vista 64 bit system by chance?

Posted: 5 Sep 2009 4:12AM GMT
Just a update i am running Internet Explorer 8 version 8.0.6001.18813 on a Vista 64 bit system. I have notice in the new viewer I cant save records, can't print, share, and even order a image. If I click the image only button the print, share & order button will work but no button on save so cant save. My xp system running Windows Explorer 8 version 8.0.6001.18702 works fine.

Posted: 5 Sep 2009 6:19AM GMT
My IE version is 8.0.6001.18702, & I'm running XP Professional SP3

Posted: 13 Feb 2011 12:43PM GMT
I have the same problem and I have Firefox. What is saved is illegible and all in computer language. There are a lot of family researchers who are "seniors" using Ancestry and they can not afford to keep changing a computer just for one web site. All the others are compatible.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions