Search for content in message boards

Clarence A. Meyer 1900-1972

Clarence A. Meyer 1900-1972

Posted: 19 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 8:14PM GMT
Surnames: MEYER, REINCKE, BREITSPRECHER, BERBERICH
Services were conducted from St. Paul Lutheran Church, Monday, October 30, for Clarence A. Meyer, who died at St. Luke's Hospital, Davenport, October 27. Intern Ron Matter officiated.

Clarence A. Meyer, son of William C. Meyer and his wife Ida Reincke Meyer, was born October 16, 1900 in Clayton County, Iowa. He was baptized in St. Paul Lutheran Church, Postville. In 1922 he was married to Marie Breitsprecher in Castalia. To this union four children were born.

Mr. Meyer was preceded in death by his wife Marie, his parents, a daughter Shirley Mae and three brothers, Alvin, Arno and Victor C.

Surviving are two sons; Hartley of Milan, Illinois and William of Edgington, Illinois; a daughter Mrs. Richard (Dorothy) Berberich, Edgington, Illinois; one brother, Milo of Postvile; 17 grandchildren and four great grandchildren.

Interment was in the Postville Cemetery.

[source: Postville Herald November 8, 1972]

Marriage of Clarence Meyer and Marie Breitsprecher

Steven W. Bareis (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
According to the St. Paul Lutheran Church records, Clarence Arthur Meyer age 22 and Marie Breitsprecher age 19, married on January 5, 1922 at the St. Paul Lutheran Church in Postville, Allamakee County, Iowa. Witnesses were Charles Breitsprecher and Lena Thoma.

Meyer Family

Posted: 25 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 5:11AM GMT
Surnames: Meyer, Meier
My grandmother had a brother named Wilhelm Carl Christian Meyer or Meier who could easily be William C. Meyer. Sometime around when Wilhelm was born (April 18, 1892), his father, John Carl Meyer/Meier, changed the spelling to Meier. John Carl Meyer/Meier was married to Elisabeth Wille and they had 11 children.

They lived in the Clayton Center, Clayton Co., area but went to church at St. Paul's Lutheran in Postville, IA as Wilhelm and my grandmother, Elsa Friederike Maria Caroline Wilhelmina, were baptized there.

The other children were: Bertha Wilhelmine Elizabeth, Charlie E., Anna Minna Louise Johanne, Johan Fredrick Karl Wilhelm, Lina Anna Wihelmina, Minna Dorethe Elisabeth, Fritz Carl August, Bertha Sophia Louise, and Johann Freidrick Carl Wilhelm with the last name of Meyer.

Anna married Fritz Freiderich Frantz Ihlefelot in 1911, Lina married Fritz Ihde in 1908, Minna married Christian John Schlie on May 8, 1899 in Allamakee Co. and Bertha Sophia married John Ihde on December 13, 1905.

Does any of this information sound familiar to you? Please reply either way. Thank you.

William C. Meyer

Elizabeth Meyer Smith (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: MEYER, THOMA, SCHARA, OLIPHANT, BREITSPRECHER
Hello Marlene,

Clarence Meyer is my grandfather (the obituary incorrectly states that there were only 4 children but there were actually 5 sons). His grandparents were Heinrich C. Meyer (born August 1, 1819 in Germany - died Sept 8, 1880 in Postville) and Meta Adelia (Adelheid) Heins (born April 6, 1827 in Hannover, Germany and died Feb 15, 1902 in Postville). They had nine living children; August D., Henry W., Margaret (married a Sebastian), Herman F., David, William C., John O., Louisa (married a Thoma) and Sophia (married a Schara). A daughter died in infancy.

What's interesting is that Clarence Meyer married Marie Breitsprecher - Marie's parents were Henry Breitsprecher and Emma Meyer - no relation to the Meyer lineage above. Emma Breitsprecher Meyer's death certificate state her father as William Meyer and her mother as Rosena Oliphant...I can't seem to find another line to connect to for this Meyer branch (nor any Oliphant's). Any clues on your tree?
Thanks - Elizabeth

Re: William C. Meyer

Karen Muchow (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2001 7:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Muchow Krogman(n),Schroeder,Schara,Blumhagen and lot more
Hello, My great grandmother`s sister Anna Krogman(n) married a August Schara. I found them in the 1900 census of Allamakee County,I think it was Post Township.Which Schara did Sophia marry? I have part of a Schara tree. In my family tree there are many surnames from North East Iowa such Muchow,Krogman(n),Schroeder,Schara,Blumhagen,Nise,Arndt,Preus,Weaver,Warnholtz,Sawvelle,Schultz and whole lot more. If you want to explore my Muchow ancestry,my home page is FAMILY TREE MAKER,it has three genealogy reports on the Muchow ancestry. The address is www.familytreemaker.com/users/m/u/c/Karen-J-Muchow

Mrs. Clarence A. (Marie Breitsprecher) Meyer

Posted: 28 Mar 2002 2:28AM GMT
Surnames: Meyer, Breitsprecher, Otdoerfer, Berberich, Ruckdaschel
Funeral services were held on Saturday at 1:30 at the Schutte Funeral home and at 2:00 p.m. at St. Paul's Lutheran Church for Mrs. Clarence Meyer, who passed away last Wednesday at the Lutheran Hospital in Moline, Illinois. The rites were conducted by Rev. Frederick R. Ludwig. Burial was in Postville cemetery.

Mrs. Meyer was a former resident of Postville having been born in this community.

Marie Breitsprecher Meyer, a daughter of Henry Breitsprecher and Emma Meyer Breitsprecher, was born October 30, 1903 at Ossian, and departed this life January 18, 1950 at Lutheran Hospital, Moline, Illinois, after an illness of about three weeks, aged 46 years.

Mrs. Meyer was received into active membership in the Lutheran Church.

Mrs. Meyer was united in marriage with Clarence A. Meyer of Postville on January 5, 1921. To this union four children were born all of whom survive the passing of their mother.

Left to mourn her passing are her husband; two sons: Hartley Meyer of Rock Island, Illinois, and William Meyer at home; two daughters: Mrs. Roger Otdoerfer of Rockford, Illinois, and Mrs. Richard Berberich of Rock Island, Illinois; three grandchildren; her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Breitsprecher of Decorah; six brothers: William, Charles, Henry, Jr., and Merlin, all of Decorah, Lyle of Castalia and Raymond of Canton, Minnesota; one sister, Mrs. Ernest Ruckdaschel of Burbank, California; as well as other relatives and friends.

Postville Herald newspaper clipping from my mother's obituary collection.

Meyer (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2002 2:45PM GMT
Surnames: Meyer, Schultze, Hencke, Heins, Heinz, Luhmann, Koch, Winkelmann,timme
Hi, Have you found out who Henry's parents were or his brothers and sisters. Do you know where exactly from? and the family always lived in Postville area. I find this family very interesting. Because of the Heins and the Meyer. the years are about when mine were born. and they dad connections with heins more than once in germany. Lunenburg area. Johann Juergen was a son of Heinrich Christoph Meyer of Radebeck and Johann Juergen had married a Schultze in Neetzendorf area.[ Eichdorf also] None of those Meyers were mentioned again in the babtismal sponsers, etc. Johann Juergen son in our direct linage was Jurgen Friedrich who it is said became known as Juergen Friedrich Meyer von Roethen. He had moved to the oldendorf/ Nahrendorf area. And was a game warden there. And the end of births for Jurgen Johan was about 1819 and We don't know about two or three of his children who may have lived past infancy. There is more but no need
. Do you think any of this could fit.

The Heins were of the Bergen area. And one Heins Catharine married a Meyer of Koellingin area.Still in Lunenberg Heide area.

Elizabeth (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jun 2002 1:36AM GMT
Surnames: Meyer Heins
Hello - You're information is much more 'researched' than I have been able to gather thus far. Heinrich C. Meyer was born August 1, 1819 in Hamburg, Germany. This information was given to me in a "book" at a family reunion in Postville about 30 years ago. There was also a xeroxed photo of "Henry" and his wife Meta. There was a little more information on Meta which sounds promising based on her sister... Meta was born April 6, 1827 in Hannover, Germany, to Catharina Margarethe Kregel and Carsten Friedrih Heins. Meta had an older sister, Catharina Margarethe (perhaps the one you mentioned who married a Meyer of the Koellingin area?) and 3 younger siblings; John Heinrich, Fred "Fritz" and Herman. Do you have additional information on your Heinrich Meyer; when do you believe he arrived in Iowa (my Henry arrived in 1842)? I'd be glad to share descendant information but don't know if we can't confirm any connection based on the little ancestor information I have at this time. Let me know - looking forward to your reply.

Heins/Meyer (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2002 1:34PM GMT
Surnames: Meyer, Luhmann, Behrens, Schmidt,Reiss, Reinecke,Nahnsen, Schroeder, Saucke, Naefke, zeitz
hi, I haven't anything to go on with this. I wish I did. And anything I do have could be immaterial as your Heinrich is from the city of Hanover. Had it been Hannover it could be my area.
I was gone for awhile and received a ltter from germany which answered my question about the Catharine Heins who married Meyer and lived in Kolingen. They stated that there was a mistake. That the One who passed on at Nahrendorf and buried there was not the child of Heins/ Hencke of Kreutzen, but that of a married couple Heins/ Mueller in Dreilingen. Let me give you that information for anyone else with Meyer information. Johann Juergen Friedrich Meyer born 06.08.1842 of Nahrendorf and babtised there. His first marriage 17.03.1865 to Johanne Catharine Heins. His parents were Johann Heinrich Christoph Meyer and the mother Catharine Elizabeth Sander. Johanne Catharine parents were Johannn Heinrich Friedrich Heins in Dreylingen or Dreilingen and its wife Catharine Marie Mueller later of Nahrendorf. I had hoped to check the martin county Meyer for you, if you haven't as something of these postings seems very familiar. If any of you haven't, you should.

heins (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jul 2004 2:51PM GMT
Surnames: winkelmann, koch, pless, ties,brammr, kothe, von Hoerston,stratdman, gralheer, henke, warnecke
Looking for a birth of 1819 and found this posting. I have something to add..
I did find a Carsten Heinrich Heins in the family and the father of Maria Dorothy was Johann Heins. and Several by the way.
Kregel name in Uelzen married a Meyer in Nahrendorf in Goehrde. Perhaps an old association.. His Mother- in law was still there in 2001.
Brother was definately Heinrich. Though not printed in my Bergen church records. Have pictures. Johann H. Heins had a medal and woman wore a cap bonnet. The wife was simply dressed also. He may have had less wear on his uniforn. i have to checkon dates andsuch of your email and what I have and see what I come up with. I think I have seen obits in your county already and seen possibilities.In the past times that I checked.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic