Search for content in message boards

John Hough & "Corby Hall"

John Hough & "Corby Hall"

Mike Howerton (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gilbert, Mercer, Hough
John Hough moved to Loudoun County Virginia sometime after his marriage in 1742 to Sarah Janney in Bucks County, PA. He was an elder in Fairfax Monthly Meeting and was a large landowner in Loudoun County. Can anyone on this list tell me anything about his family, where was Corby Hall located,or anything about his descendents?
Thank You
Mike Howerton
mikeh@northnet.net

Re: John Hough & "Corby Hall"

Sally Cummins Livesay (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2002 3:24AM GMT
John Hough lived in settled in Hillsboro, Va and to my knowledge was a owner of several mills. My fathers family was also from Hillsboro and I have some pure silver spoons that the silver came from the mines that were somewhere in the general area. I have 4 spoons with the name John Hough on them and 3 with his initials. I was always told that were some sort of decendents of his which would explain why our family had these spoons. There are also a few more of these spoons in which my half sister has. My family surnames were Cummins/Bell/&Ogden. If you have any information on these families it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sally Cummins Livesay

Posted: 23 Jan 2004 7:36PM GMT
YOUR HOUGH INFO. BARB, LOUDOUN CTY, VA
Welcome to
Jasper County, Iowa

Historical and Genealogical Data Exchange

Joseph Bond Hough

Joseph Bond Hough, a grain merchant of Newton, was born in Loudoun County, VA, February 25, 1823. The family of which, he is an honored representative. He was prominent in the history of the Old Dominion during the early days of its settlement. They were of Saxon origin, and the forefathers came to this country with William Penn, settling in the Keystone State. The great-grandfather of our subject, John Hough, married a Miss Hite, whose ancestors came from Germany. Both families were prominent in the Quaker Church.

About 1742 John Hough went to Virginia, where William Hough, our subject's grandfather, was born. He was a roan of more than ordinary ability and education, and followed the occupation of a civil engineer, becoming the owner of large tracts of tend. At the time of his demise, he and the Hite family had many land warrants in Virginia, but it is thought that after his death no great amount was realized on this property. Amasa Hough, the father of J. B., was born in 1790 on the farm where his father had first opened his eyes to the light, it being the place where John Hough made settlement in 1742. Amasa was the youngest of eleven children, and upon attaining man's estate he became a prominent and successful merchant. After the death of his father, the old homestead fell to him, and returning to that place he continued to make his home there until his death, which occurred in 1865.

Our subject's mother was Ann Elizabeth Bond, who’s mother was a daughter of Thomas Moore, and her father was Joseph Bond, who was of Welsh descent. William and Thomas Moore came from Ireland to America and settled in Virginia during the Colonial days, Mrs. Hough being a descendant of Thomas. His brother, William, was lost sight of, and nothing is known of his life career. Which of these brothers was the elder is a question that has puzzled the minds of the descendants of Thomas for generations, for a large fortune was left in Waterford, Ireland, to the elder of these brothers, but with all their research they have not been able to learn which was the elder. Therefore a great fortune is awaiting proof that in all Probability will never be furnished. They were Quakers, and settled in Bucks County, PA, where their names appear on the minutes of the Friends Church. The mother of Ann Elizabeth (Bond) Hough, bore the family name of Moore and was a descendant of Irish ancestors, who upon emigrating to America settled in Loudoun County, VA, and located and named the village of Waterford, in honor of the town by that name in their native country. Her birth occurred about 1801. She lived and died upon the old homestead, where her husband also passed away some years prior to her demise.

Both the Bond and Moore families were prominent in the early history and settlement of Virginia. Living in a slave state in the days when it was honorable to own slaves, none of the forefathers of our subject ever owned one; in fact, they were greatly opposed to human slavery. One member of the Hough family came into possession of some slaves by marriage, but at once freed them. Our subject was the eldest in a family of eight children, all of whom attained to mature years. William resides in Maryland; Deborah went to Nebraska and was killed by falling from a buggy; Eleanor Hite is living in Maryland; Edgar was killed by falling from a tree in Loudoun County, VA; Amasa; Elizabeth, deceased, and Warwick, complete the family circle.

During the Civil War, Amasa Hough, Jr., discovered the rebels in the vicinity of his home in Virginia, and dreading discovery, which would be equivalent to death, he hid in the woods for three days, without food. Finally he made his way across the river on a rail to the Maryland side and sped away to Washington, where he quietly presented himself to President Lincoln and made known to him the state of affairs. This was a daring deed, and was greatly appreciated by the President, who would have rewarded him had he lived. Five of the family are now living: Joseph B. of this sketch; Eleanor; William; Warwick, who lives in Montgomery County, MD and Amasa, whose home is in the same neighborhood.

At Alexandria, Va., our subject received an excellent education, having for schoolmates such men as ex-President Harrison, the late Justice Lamar and Kirby Smith, and others who have gained national fame. At the age of eighteen he commenced to teach school, and for fourteen years was Principal of a select school in the state of his birth, where he ranked high as an educator. In the fall of 1854 he came to Iowa and settled in Jasper County, where he taught school for a short time. Later, for a year he was engaged as a civil engineer, and then served as Deputy County Clerk. In 1856 he was elected, on the Republican ticket. Clerk of Jasper County, a position that he held for six years. From May of 1868 to the close of the war, he was in the employ of the Government in the Provost Marshal's office at Iowa City and other places.

Retiring from politics in 1866, Mr. Hough embarked in the lumber and grain business in Newton, in which he engaged until 1883. Then abandoned the former interests, and since that time has been in the grain and coal business. In 1846 he married Miss Elizabeth Hough, a cousin, who died in June 1892, after forty-six years of married life and at the age of seventy years. They had seven children, one of whom died in infancy. Josephine married Aaron Steever and died in Dakota; Evelyn was educated at lowa College, and married Joseph Sims, the son of a Congregational minister in Nevada, CA; Eleanor Virginia was educated at Iowa College and is prominent as linguist; she resides with her father; Emerson, a graduate of the Iowa State University, is manager of the Chicago office of the newspaper know as the Forest and Stream; Edgar, a graduate of the Newton High School and of the Hahnemann Medical College of Chicago, is now a practicing physician at Vilisca, IA; Norman finished his education in the Newton High School, and now connected with the Northern Pacific Railroad, has his office in Minneapolis, MN.

From the organization of the Republican Party to the present time Mr. Hough has been an adherent of its principles and a champion of its candidates. His life has been an exemplary one, his habits temperate and his dispositions generous and kind. Since 1859 he has been identified with the Congregational Church, and has served as Deacon during most of the time since that date.

Portrait and Biographical Record, Jasper, Marshall and Grundy Counties, IA, Biographical Publishing Co., Chicago, IL, 1894, p. 218.

For comments, questions or corrections regarding data on this web contact
iacojasper@usgennet.org
Last updated: October 21, 2001.

Posted: 25 Mar 2009 5:03PM GMT
John Hough moved to Loudoun Co., VA in the 1740s and built his large brick home, Corby Hall, a bout a mile or so northwest of the village of Waterford. My family currently owns the home. It has been remodeled through the years, but the last major renovatins took place in the late 1800s or early 1900s.
George Washington was Mr. Hough's guest on at least one occasion as noted in Washington't diary.

I will be glad to send photos of the home if you would like to see it in int's current state.

Posted: 21 Feb 2010 11:14PM GMT
I would like to see a photo of the house. I took a photo of a house in Upper Makefield, Bucks County today that is on property John Hough inherited from his father John.

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 1:29PM GMT
We actually have a website, www.corbyhall.info, that has several picutres of the house and property.

If you would like more info. let me know.

Posted: 26 May 2013 10:59PM GMT
Surnames: John Hough
Hello, my wife Lee Ann Huff (maiden name) is the 5xGreat grand-daughter of John Hough. Somewhere along the line, they changed the spelling to Huff. We just learned about Corby Hall today on Ancestry.com. We live in Gainesville, VA, only 40 miles south! We're going to take a drive up there to see it tomorrow. Are there people currently living in it? We don't want to intrude and knock on the door, but maybe we'll take some pictures from the road and of the historical marker. The website you mentioned (www.corbyhall.info) does not appear to exist anymore. Is there a replacement?

Posted: 27 May 2013 1:39AM GMT
Here is some information from "Guide to Loudoun" by Eugene Scheel:

South on Fannie Wilson Hill Rd, Rt 681, to Corby Hall at .5 mi on W. Four wings, earliest of stone at W, show development of home. Fine wrap-around porch on hip-roofed brick wing at E. Marker to S of house notes earlier wing as stopping place for George Washington, June 1-2, 1788, after he inspected canal works at Seneca Falls (Tour 1) en route to mouth of Shenandoah. Vistas to SE of Catoctin Valley and Waterford from Fannie Wilson Hill .6 mi to S. Turn E (1) into Waterford.

More information is given in "Loudoun Discovered, Volume Five."

Pat Duncan
GenNutLdn@msn.com

Posted: 16 Feb 2014 10:12PM GMT
Hi Lee Ann Huff,
I am researching and ran across your Quiery. My grandather (Earl W. Hough )and grandmother(Viola Mae Harris) both of Roundhill, Loudoun County, Virginia, were listed in 1940 cenus with spelling of last name,"Hough". With that being said, my mother(Viola Janet) birth certificate is Huff. She was born in 1940.
My great grandmother and grandmother, so I was told by the post master in Roundhill, about 20 years ago,whom was about 80 years old,made the Best Moonshine,were moonshine runners. Great Grandmother made it and grandmother ran it all the way to D.C. My mother was embarrassd when I told her what I found out and will not talk about it. She has alot of secrets she wants to take with her, unfortunately. He told me where I could find the old home stead.I also talked to a gentleman across from the homestead named Ashby that he knew the whole family, Harriss's and Hough's. I need to go back and talk with him, if possible, to see if he knows who my real father is. It's possible we are distant cousins.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions