Search for content in message boards

Franz Anton Mathis

Franz Anton Mathis

Robert Mathis (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mathis, Amann
I am researching the ancestry of my great-great-great grandfather Franz Anton Mathis born in Hohenems 9 April 1819 and great-great-great grandmother Maria Anna Amann born in 1822. They emigrated from Dornbirn to upstate NY (West Leyden), USA in May 1871 with 8 of their 9 children, according to the Hamburg Passenger Lists and Pichlers' book on Auswanderer. I have already made contact with the Vorarlberger Landesarchiv, who have been very helpful and would like to know how I can get information from the city of Dornbirn's family book (email address?). Anyone with information on the Franz Anton Mathis family or with his decendants still living in Voralberg, Dornbirn, or in Austria, please contact me. Bob Mathis

Mathis of Voralberg

Eric Mathis (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Mathis, Hellrigel, Dietl, Hell, Bundt
I, too, am researching a Mathis line out of Voralberg. My great-grandfather, John George Mathis (born about 1850), married a Katherine Hellrigel (or perhaps Hell? - I think that a name change occurred.) in 1872. I believe he and his family came to this country around 1871. Supposedly John George was from Daraberg, a town that I have never located, but was said to be near Feldkirche. Kartherine Hellrigel was the daughter of Joseph Hellrigel and Carolynn Bundt.

I don't know much else. How does this correlate with your info? Any suggestions?

... Eric Mathis

ebmmathis@worldnet.att.net

Re: Franz Anton Mathis

Posted: 9 Nov 2004 2:39PM GMT
Edited: 23 Aug 2005 5:25PM GMT
Surnames: MATHIS, AMANN
I have located a Frank (age 62) and Mary (age 57) Mathis on the 1880 Town of Lewis, Lewis County, NY census. Are they the same as your Franz Anton Mathis and Maria Anna Amann? Do you know if the Joseph Mathis in the household above then on the same page is their son? I would appreciate any information that you could provide. Thanks

Posted: 15 Jul 2008 11:37AM GMT
Surnames: MATHIS
Bob,

Try:
Dornbirn Family Book Online (Dornbirner Familienbuch) http://dornbirn.at/dornbirn/gem_8790.asp

Good luck!
Cris

PS: Mathis surname from Hohenems is in my lineage as well.

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 10:58PM GMT
Hi Robert, I have been doing research on Joseph George Mathis and Katherine Hellreigel. I was wondering if you had any luck with this since your post in 1999. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Lou Ballard Boise, ID

Re: Mathis of Voralberg

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 7:59PM GMT
I am also researching John George Mathis and Katherine Hellreigel. I found in the 1880 US Federal Census that John George Mathis was listed as George Mathias. I also found Joh Mathis listed as a passenger on the ship Harmonia from Hamburg, Germany to New York. His birthdate was estimated to be 1845 (26 years old in 1871). He was travelling with another Mathis on this trip, Ph Mathis (29 years old in 1871). Does anyone have information on either of these 2, I am proposing brothers?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic