Search for content in message boards

BAKER, COBB cemetery

BAKER, COBB cemetery

Posted: 16 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 2:43AM GMT
Surnames: BAKER, COBB, SMITH, BINGAMAN, TEAL, WIMBISH
William D. BAKER, born between 1790-95, was the son of John T. BAKER of Natchez and Patience COBB of Wilkinson County, MS, widow of Josephus SMITH of Natchez. The family moved to West Feliciana Parish and acquired significant land holdings. William married (1) Martha BINGAMAN in Wilkinson County on July 11, 1815, and (2) Elizabeth TEAL in W. Feliciana on January 20, 1827. Son John married Charlotte WIMBISH in 1839 in W. Feliciana and lived at Wilderness Plantation east of Baton Rouge. A second son Josephus married Louisiana BOATNER and lived at Baker Plantation, where present-day Baker is. These lands may have been owned by earlier generations of Bakers.

In the succession of William D. BAKER filed January 1854, among the land descriptions is the following: 500 arpents in West Feliciana known as the "Arthur COBB" tract bound on the north by lands of Mrs. Mulford and deceased, east by lands of deceased, South by lands of Daniel Turnbull and west by Little Bayou Sara Creek. "The heirs of William D. BAKER, deceased, particularly reserve one acre of the COBB tract--now the family burial ground--and the right of way to the same."

Does anyone know whether this cemetery still exists? I will be in West Feliciana July 26 and would like to visit it since Patience COBB was my gggg-grandmother. I would also appreciate any information about the SMITH, BAKER, COBB, BINGAMAN, TEAL, WIMBISH families. Thank you. E. W. Prichard

Re: BAKER, COBB cemetery

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 7:19PM GMT
I believe you have the wrong Cobb sister. Patience Cobb was married to George W. Kimball - they were my ancestors. Your ancestor was Priscilla Cobb. They were the daughters of Arthur Cobb and Susannah ?.

Posted: 24 Jan 2010 3:19AM GMT
Surnames: COBB SMITH BAKER
Yes, Patience Cobb was married to George Kimball. Her sister Priscilla married Calvin Smith and sister Sarah married Calvin's brother Israel. However, another Patience Cobb married another Smith brother, Josephus, my ancestor; and family histories mistakenly list her as sister to Priscilla and Sarah. Josephus died in 1791 and Patience Cobb married John T. Baker. They had two sons, William Daniel and John T. In combing through W. Feliciana court records, I have found members of the Arthur Cobb family at family meetings with Patience Baker, and in one record I found both Patience Kimball and Patience Baker. The Bakers lived among the Cobbs in the west part of the parish. I have not been able to find the family connection between the two Patience's but they are undoubtedly related.

Posted: 24 Apr 2011 1:54AM GMT
Surnames: Kimball, Layson
I am also an ancestor of George W. Kimball and Patience Cobb. My grand grandfather was their son Pharoah Cobb Kimball who later moved to Kentucky and changed his name to Robert Milton Layson. I would enjoy hearing if you have any information regarding this line. My email address is bburke436@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Bart

Posted: 2 Feb 2012 1:55PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Kimball, Layson, Mackay
I also descend from George W. Kimball and Patience Cobb through their son, Lewis Alston Bolen Cobb Kimball. My grandmother was his daughter. Her name was Georgiana Kimball Mackay. She was married to Frederick Mackay. The story I was told is this: Pharoah Kimball was engaged to be married. One day, while building a house for himself and fiance, she drove up (in a carriage) with another man. They proceeded to laugh at Pharoah and the two men got into a fight during which the other man was accidentally killed. Judge Kimball sent Pharoah to Kentucky where he assumed the name of Robert Milton Layson. Georgiana located Layson family members and communicated with them. At that time they were not aware that his real name was Pharoah Cobb Kimball. My cousin Elizabeth Mackay had copies of letters regarding this. Sadly, she died a month ago. I will try to locate them and will get in touch if I find them. Pharoah was Georgiana's uncle.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions