Search for content in message boards

Searching Family

Searching Family

Vaimu'a Muliava (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2006 9:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Malo Soi fua,

My name is Vaimu'a Muliava and I am from Uvea mo Futuna Islands. Recently, I went to Australia and Hawai'i for my studies. I met over there samoans who told me there is a family called Muliava in Manu'a Islands. Is that true? The first name of my grand father is Manua and his last name is MULIAVA. I would like to know more about this branch of my family and hopefully get in touch with...

Kua 'au faka 'apa'apa atu

Vaimu'a Muliava

Re: Searching Family

Posted: 11 Aug 2006 1:29PM GMT
Surnames: MULIAVA
Talofa/Hello:

Is your grandfather's surname a "matai title"? true birth "aiga"/family surname? If not, do you know other Samoan surnames in your family lineage?

MULIAVA listed with www.familysearch.org are fairly new, the earliest being b.1918 all from the island of Upolu, [Western]Samoa. Manua is officially in the American Samoa region since 1900 what use to be [Eastern] Samoa or part of "the Navigators' Islands".

MULIAVA could have easily migrated to New Zealand yet there are no listings for that area.

I will ask elderly "aiga"/family members, esp. from Ta'u, Manu'a, AS, the reason[s] for certain surnames disappearing.

Do you know which island your ancestors dwelled on?

Manu'a or the Manu'a Islands Group consist of three main islands: Ta'u, Ofu, and Olosega. Ta‘ū is where Margaret Mead conducted her dissertation research in Samoa in the 1920's. Maybe your ancestors were part of that research - hmm?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manua

Fa'afetai/Thanks for your thoughts and leading me to disappearing Samoan surnames. I will investigate.

Manuia/Regards, Soifua,
--Manaia
~=~=~=

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 5:39AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 27 Jul 2011 4:21AM GMT

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 7:55AM GMT
Surnames: Poloai, To'ofaatafua
Talofa dap_hne16:

Per FamilySearch:

Husband
Leula To'ofaatafua

Birth: About 1822 Olosega, Samoa, Pacific Islands
Marriage: About 1842 As, , , Pacific Islands
Death: About 1890 As, , , Pacific Islands
Wife
Kuana or Tuana Poloai

Birth: About 1822 Olosega, Samoa, Pacific Islands
Marriage: About 1842 As, , , Pacific Islands
Death: About 1894 As, , , Pacific Islands
Data found per FamilySearch should be used as GUIDELINES for reference regarding your ancestors.

Manuia,
--Manaia
[manaiaalofa@yahoo.com]

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 1:38PM GMT
mahalo/aloha

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 12:40PM GMT
Talofa lava malo le soifua ma le lagi matafi i le pule mai ile ATUA SOIFUA.
O lou igoa o Oselise Tuiloma Muliava mai i Sapunaoa Falealili.Ou te nofo i NZ with my wife and my kids.
If you know me please keep to yourself.

Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic