Search for content in message boards

Nicholas and Mary Orlando

Nicholas and Mary Orlando

Posted: 19 Jan 2009 5:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Orlando
Nicholas and Mary Orlando are my great-grandparents. From what I know they immigrated to Passaic, NJ from Sicily, Italy. All of their children were born in Passaic, NJ. My grandfather, dad, and brother are all named after Nick Orlando. If anybody has any information about my great-grandparents family or my grandfather's family (who they married, etc.) - It would be greatly appreciated. You can email me at crystalizeddoubt@hotmail.com.

I've found all of his brother and sisters' names, but nothing else. I also do not know Mary's maiden name.

Re: Nicholas and Mary Orlando

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 7:09PM GMT
Surnames: Orlando, Nicolosi, DiNicola, Manucci
Elizabeth,

I am Nicolo and Maria's great-grandson. Her maiden name was Nicolosi. They were from Ribera, Agrigento, Sicily, Italy. Also, the two eldest children, Anna (my grandmother) and Giuseppe, were not born in Passaic. They were born in Ribera. My aunt, Mary Mistrette, is going to email you. She has a photo of Nicolo and Maria. Please email me at kcmoroyals@embarqmail.com .

Your cousin,

John DiNicola, Jr

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 10:15PM GMT
Surnames: Orlando, DiNicola, Nicolosi, Manucci
Elizabeth,

Please email me at kcmoroyals@embarqmail.com . I tried to email you, and it bounced back.

John

Posted: 23 Jan 2009 2:39PM GMT
My grandfather didn't have any brothers by that name, and his oldest sibling was a sister named Vera. I have met three of his brothers and sisters, but I was very young. There names are Vera, Anne, and Charlie. I believe Charlie was married to a lady named Connie. They all came down to visit when my grandfather passed away in 1997. As far as I know, all his other brothers and sisters had passed away at that point.

Posted: 23 Jan 2009 3:14PM GMT
You had me confused when you said there son was Giuseppi, but your aunt emailed me and I know now that they are same. I found the 1930 census with all of them listed, but Maria is written as Mary, Nicolo as Nick, Carmelina as Millie, and my grandfather as Nick, Jr. (but his name is actually Nicholas Thomas Orlando - not Nicolo). This makes a lot of sense, I have aunts named Maria and Carmela! I replied to your aunt and I'm going to try and find some pictures to post online.

Posted: 23 Jan 2009 4:09PM GMT
Surnames: Orlando
Anna and Giuseppe were both married and out of the house by 1930. That's why you don't see them in the census with the rest of the family. Also, Anne and Charlie are still alive. Anne will be 92 in March. Charlie has alzheimer's. My Dad was born in 1919, and grew up with his Orlando aunts and uncles almost as brothers and sisters, due to the ages being so close. As to the English names, my Dad's parents named their children with Italian first names, and no middle names, then after Confirmation the child usually used English versions of his first name with the English confirmation name as the middle name. That's how my Dad went from Giovane to John Michael. By the way, before he died in 1982, he gave me the Italian names of all his Orlando aunts and uncles. Your grandfather was born "Onofrio". Thomas was probably his confirmation name. Please reply to my email, and we can compare notes.

John
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions