Search for content in message boards

Where would I find my grandfather's WW1 records?

Where would I find my grandfather's WW1 records?

Posted: 14 Feb 2011 10:43AM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: SCHEINER
My grandfather Tibor SCHEINER was a doctor from Kunmadaras, a town in (what is now) Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok. During WW1 he was a medical officer - I think he was in a cavalry regiment. He was captured by the Russians and made his way home alone after the war. I'd like to find his service records and anything else that might be held on him, like Red Cross records if they survive.

I've attached a photo of him in uniform in case it's any help. He's the very handsome man second from the left, straddling the bench.
Attachments:

Re: Where would I find my grandfather's WW1 records?

Posted: 14 Feb 2011 11:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
His unit was the IR60 (at least at the time of his capture):

Scheiner Tibor, Dr., AssArzt, IR. Nr. 60, Ungarn, Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok, Kunmadaras, 1888

This regiment was part of the common army, the records are kept in Vienna.
Attachments:

Posted: 14 Feb 2011 11:34AM GMT
That is *amazing*. How did you find that out so quickly? Is there an online list of soldiers or something?
Attachments:

Posted: 15 Feb 2011 10:26AM GMT
It was only a quick search in the digitalised loss reports ("Verlustlisten" http://kramerius.nkp.cz/kramerius/Welcome.do)
To trace the whole story is more difficult, you should start your search in Vienna.
Attachments:

Posted: 15 Feb 2011 10:31PM GMT
Dear "asperula"
Thank you so much for providing this website. Although I am not involved with the original message in this thread, I am interested in WWI Austrian Military records. A brief search turned up two of my relatives who were wounded in WWI.
Thank you again,
Attachments:

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 3:37PM GMT
I'd like to add my thanks for this website- I was also able to find 2 of my ancestors/relatives in the database. One query for either poster: The date in the entry- is that a birthdate or enlistment date? Thanks!
Attachments:

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 4:17PM GMT
In the records I found, the date listed was the birth year of the soldier. This was true in both the casualty records and also the wounded and sick records. I have the baptism records for all three of my family members that I found and these birth dates are correct as are the birth locations.
Attachments:

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 5:58PM GMT
Thanks for that information. In my case there were multiple people from different generations with the same name, so that allows me to zero in on which family member's record was listed.
Attachments:

Posted: 17 Feb 2011 2:06PM GMT
from what i'm hearing the site is only for soldiers who lived in what is now czech. and who served in ww1? correct?

Posted: 17 Feb 2011 2:30PM GMT
No, the two records I found were from 1918 and 1942, but the one from 1942 can't be viewed online. Also, both of my relatives were from what is now Slovakia. In my case the WW1 information was for a soldier in IR 67 who was wounded and caaptured in Russia.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions