Search for content in message boards

Payne plantation/ Macland

Payne plantation/ Macland

Posted: 23 Mar 2012 5:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Payne Webb Galligar Macland Thislewaite
I am a Payne and am looking for more information about the Macland plantation/Payne plantation. I already know the Norwoods that moved the home to St. Francisville. I am looking for information that I may not have. Also info about Barbreck and St. Peter's plantations that the Payne's owned at one time. I think that Amos Webb built the home for his son Lewis Webb. It is also known as the Galligar home and the Thislewaite place.

Re: Payne plantation/ Macland

Posted: 7 May 2012 9:36PM GMT
I found this posted on the Southern Plantation board in 2002:

Macland Plantation on Bayou Boeuf goes by various names including "The Thislewaite Place" for the present owners. Thistlewaite House, or Woodland, or Macland, or Payne House. Dr. Louis Archibald Webb built his home in the 1840s on his 4,000 acre plantation. Dr. Webb was the son of the builders of Arlington House.

Source: Washington copyright 1988 found in UNO Library.

There's also a little blurb about it in David K. Gleason's book "Plantation Homes of Louisiana and the Natchez Area", but you probably already have that information.

Posted: 7 May 2012 10:53PM GMT
Thank you for responding. I do have that information but I really appreciate getting any information.

Posted: 8 May 2012 5:37PM GMT
You might want to read this story also.
http://www.where2guide.com/Articles/mar07/mar07.html

Posted: 8 May 2012 5:41PM GMT
There is also an article on the plantation in the special supplement of the Daily World dated Thursday, November 3, 1955 titled some history of St. Landry Parish from the 1690s. The article is on page 129.

Posted: 9 May 2012 3:11PM GMT
Thank you for the information. I have read the story about the home being moved to St. Francisville, in fact I have been there and spoken with the new owners. I am not familiar with the Daily World. Where can I go to read that Nov. 1955 article? The Payne's also owned a plantation in St. Landry Parish named St. Peter's and one called Barbreck which I am searching for information.

Posted: 10 May 2012 8:04PM GMT
The Opelousas Daily World newspaper. I'm sure they have it archived somewhere. There might be a copy at the Opelousas Interpretive Center or at the Washington, La Museum.

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 10:28PM GMT
Surnames: Campbell, Payne
I don't know if it would be helpful but my family tradition is that Marsden Campbell (1777-1841) of North Carolina moved to Louisiana, bought and named Barbreck Plantation in the 1830's. The North Carolina plantation was called "Clarendon." Upon Campbell's death, his son, Dr. Marsden Campbell (1812-1857), inherited the plantation but immediately sought to sell it. The Doctor died in 1857 and the plantation was finally sold soon after his death. When did your family have a connection to Barbeck? Perhaps the Paynes bought it or something. David Campbell

Posted: 14 Sep 2012 7:29PM GMT
From what I understand Pierre Gabriel Wartelle bought Barbreck from Marsden Campbell around Oct 1859. Wartelle sold Barbreck to Hiram Gustavus Roberts year unknown. Mary Daniel Roberts (Hiram's wife) died in 1871 having outlived her husband by 8 years. Mary's brother John Wesley Daniel then became the owner of Barbreck in 1872. From what I have read, the thought is that Wartelle built the brick house on the plantation. The Payne's were owners in the latter part of the 1800's. Jacob Payne was a cotton factor and actually his company owned Barbreck, St. Peter's and Anchorage plantations. I've gathered this information from several different stories so it could have mistakes. Great hearing from you. Bobbie

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 4:24AM GMT
Hi, I am the GGGranddaughter of Hiriam Gustavus Roberts. My Great Aunt Pearl and my Grandfather were born on Barbreck Plantation. She wrote about the plantation in a book on Louisiana history written in 1953. If I go through my files I believe I have a copy of the sale of Barbreck from Wartell to Hiriam Roberts. The brick home is in bad repair but someone sent me photos of it a few years ago. I would love to share information with you on this. I ran across this post randomly googling John W. Daniels, I was looking for information on when he died. I have added a link to a story about my Great Aunt Pearl in which she tells of being born on the plantation, sixth paragraph down. Leanna

http://www.windingstreets.com/www.windingstreets.com/Alma_Pe...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions