Search for content in message boards

Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock

Maggie (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2003 4:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Babcock
Hello, I am searching for Daniel Babcock. He went to Wisconsin in about 1855 from New York. His wife was Adelia Sturdevant. I think that he lived in Springvale and then Waupun. Thank you to everyone that can help! Maggie

Re: Daniel Babcock

Posted: 4 Apr 2003 7:53PM GMT
Edited: 18 Mar 2004 8:06PM GMT

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
Adelia BABCOCK Self Female W 58 NY Keeping House MA VT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Census Place Waupun, Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin
Family History Library Film 1255426
NA Film Number T9-1426
Page Number 493A

Maggie (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2003 2:30PM GMT
Hello, Thank you very much! Was that the 1880 census?
My records show that Adelia was living there, and also her father (Sturdevant) and her son. Do you see that too?
Thank you!

Posted: 5 Apr 2003 3:32PM GMT
Edited: 25 Apr 2003 8:09PM GMT
The census shows her loving alone. What is her sons name? and her fathers first name. You can also search this site. go to www.familysearch.org then search ancesters then census.

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 11:16PM GMT
Surnames: Babcock, Post, Sturtevant
Maggie, are you still researching Daniel Babcock? His wife Adelia (we have Lydia Adela)is a descendant of mine. Her mother was Cynthia POST married to Noah STURTEVANT. I found Daniel & Adelia in 1850 in Castile, Wyoming Co, NY and in 1860 in Springdale, FDL Co, Wis, 1870 (w/Daniel & 2 sons) & 1880 Waupun, FDL, Wis. Do you know where Daniel, his wife Adelia, her father Noah Sturdevant are buried, or when they died? I have a copy of a letter written by Adelia's sister Olive telling the family of Noah's death "in the West, buried next to Daniel..." probably about 1880. Anything you can tell me about that group would be appreciated.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 4:50PM GMT
Beverly9292,

A good indication of whether or not a member is still active is how the user name presents.

On Ancestry.com site, there should be an Avatar icon next to the name, with a line underneath it (hyperlinked) and can be clicked taking to the users profile.

On rootsweb.com site, there is not avatar, but the same line underneath it (hyperlinked) and can be clicked taking to the users profile profile.

The system was changed about 5 years ago, this means Maggie has not been active for at least 5 years. You can also click "view posts" next to the user name, click by *date*, this brings the users posting history up by date and you can review it for the most recent time they posted.

If you're accessing the message boards from Ancestry, you can click the username, then Profile, and review the last time the person logged on to the site. This data is not always up to date, but can give you an idea if the member has been active in the recent past.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 3:50AM GMT
I am searching Noah Sturtevant. He is my 3rd great grandfather. I have a copy of the first page of his obit.
Following is a reminiscence of one of the early settlers of Wyoming county at that time Genesee county.

Died, at the home of his daughter in Waupun, Wis., February 28th, 1880, Mr. Noah Sturtevant, formerly of Portage, aged 95 years, 8 months and 6 days.

Mr Sturtevant was born in Coleraine, Mass. When he was about four years old his father removed to Vermont and settled on the west side of the Green Mountains, that country then being comparatively new. Here Noah was brought up well accustomed to the hardships and privations of “Mountain Life.” At the age of twenty-one he commenced work as an apprentice with a shoemaker; remaining there until he became master of his trade, then made a start in life for himself. He packed his tools and clothes and taking his pack upon his back he started for Western New York, a distance of 300 miles. It was customary in those days for people to hire a shoemaker to come to their house to do the family shoe-making. Hew was very fortunate in finding many jobs of work along his journey. In this way he traveled until he arrived at Oneida. Here he found an opportunity to purchase a small lot and building for a shoe-shop. He made the purchase, but soon learned that it was mortgaged for nearly its full value. He accordingly left it again: shouldered his pack and resumed his journey. As he proceeded West, he discovered that the times were hard, jobs of work were few and money scarce. At Moscow, Livingston county , he paid the last cent he had for a breakfast. In traveling he had blistered his ankle, which now become inflamed, swollen and very hurtful but he hobbled on as best he could, destined he knew not where. About mid-day he called at a house in the town of Perry, which proved to be the residence of a physician, they kindly invited him to take dinner, after which the sore ankle received attention. The doctor’s wife gave him bandages and salve for future use. He continued on his journey and about sunset came to a small log house near Castile Center. He rapped at the door and heard the welcome response of, “Walk In”: As he entered , who should he meet but an old acquaintance and neighbor from Vermont. One day they took their guns and went hunting. They roamed the woods without much success until they reached Wolf Creek, and the first game they killed was a partridge which Mr. Sturtevant saw and shot from the limb of a hemlock tree which stood on the spot now occupied by the Castile Sanitarium.

Where Castile village now stands was a dense wilderness, except the road that had been cut through, know many years ago as the “Alleghany Road”.

He soon after made a contract with a Mr Ewell to clear off and fence two acres of land, for which he was to receive $25.00. This two acres was on the road which now leads from Castile to the “Middle Falls”. There was no road there at that time and the land he was to clear off was two mile from human habitation; they had to guide themselves through the woods by means of tree that had been marked, this of course could only be accomplished by daylight and as he wished to save time, Mr. Ewell agreed to come at night-fall and bring some fire and provisions for the following day, then they were to build a ‘bush tent’ and remain there during the night, so he chopped away all day, giving himself no uneasiness until night and the darkness closed in around him, but Mr, Ewell did not come. He was tired and hungry and the night was piercing cold. He tried to strike fire, using his cotton handkerchief for tined, but it was damp and would not ignite. He dare not sit down; like the faithful sentinel on duty, her paced his lonely beat until day-break revealed the trees that were marked by which he was to find his way out of the woods.

Continued next week. - Unfortunately I do not have the following weeks edition of this newspaper. “The Sheldon Democrat - Official Democratic Newspaper of Wyoming County.” “Varysburg Wyoming County NY Thursday 31, 1914”

Yes this was transcribed from an original newspaper which is now very delicate. By the statement of his age in the first paragraph Noah would have been born on 25 Jul 1784.

I believe I read somewhere that this was a reprint from an earlier newspaper.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 3:33PM GMT
Surnames: Babcock, Sturtevant, Post
In January 2013 I found, on "Find-A-Gave" wedsite the following: in East Ladago Cemetery, Fond du Lac Co, Wis the following- NOAH STURTEVANT, b. 1790 Massachusetts; d. 1885, FDL,Wis. Family links-Adelia Sturtevant BABCOCK, b. Oct 30____, d. UN, Spouse-Daniel BABCOCK, father Noah STURTEVANT, Inscription "wife of D.P. BABCOCK." I asked for, and received very promptly, pictures to be put up on the wedsite. The death date is incorrect, you are correct it is 1880. Noah married Cynthia POST, daughter of Aaron POST & Elizabeth MALTBY., b. 2 Jul 1800, VT; d. 3 Aug 1875 NY.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 5:17PM GMT
Thank you for the quick response. I have had that newspaper since 1982. I found it in my father effects. It is what started me with ancestry search. If you do not have further info on the Sturtevant's I have it to when the first Samuel came to the New World. The tree that we have currently on Ancestry is in a mess. I am working on one off line to keep it uncontaminated. I am willing to share info: Sturtevant's, Willey's, Post's, Shields, Killeen's, Ryan's & Day's.
Dan

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 11:05PM GMT
I'd be most interested in your line of Sturtevants, from my Moah, if you are willing to share. If so I'll send you my email address. Thanks again for the info. Beverly
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions