Search for content in message boards

Johnson Family From Sumter Co.South Carolina

Johnson Family From Sumter Co.South Carolina

Martha Catoe Peebles (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2005 12:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jul 2009 2:25PM GMT
Surnames: johnson, morris, turkett
I am looking for Edward Johnson, b ? d.? he may have married Vermell Morris before 1905, There was one son from this couple i know of,
William Sidney Johnson, b. Aug.9,1898, Rembert, Sumter Co.S.C. d. Nov.8.1942,Columbia,Richland Co.S.C. he married Willie Emily Turkett.
any information on this family appreciated, Thank You,,Martha, mpeebles2@charter.net

Re: Johnson Family From Sumter Co.South Carolina

Posted: 30 Jul 2005 2:39AM GMT
Classification: Census
Edited: 13 Jul 2009 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: johnson, morris, turkett, strange

Cidney MORRIS Self 35 SC Farmer SC SC
M. A. [Martha A] MORRIS Wife 35 SC Keeping House SC SC
Maggie MORRIS Dau 15 SC...not listed in the 1870 record ?
Vermelle MORRIS Dau 12 SC
William M. MORRIS Son 8 SC
M. J. MORRIS Dau 6 SC
Dargan MORRIS Son 3 SC
1880 - Rafting Creek, Sumter, South Carolina
Family History Library Film 1255241
NA Film Number T9-1241 Page Number 216C

Most of 1890 record burned in 1921.

None of the above Morris family are found in Sumter county in 1900 census as well as the Edward Johnson family. I looked for an Edward born about the same time as Vermelle Morris without any luck in either Sumter or Richland counties.

Willie Emily Turkett, born appx 1900; daughter of John B Turkett, born appx 1868 and Laura Alice Strange, born appx 1878.

John Turkett's family was in Fairfield county in 1880.

Laura Strange, daughter of Henry and Anna were in Kershaw county in 1880.

Henry and Anna were residing with John and Laura Turkett in 1930 in Richland county but William and Willie Johnson are not found in the 1930 census. It appears that that Willie had one brother; John T Turkett born appx 1903 and no other siblings. The Turkett's were residing in Hopkins, Richland county in 1930.

John Turkett family was enumerated in Richland county in 1910 and 1930 records, not found in 1900 and 1920 but was probably still in Richland county in 1920.

I looked for "Vermelle" in the 1910 record thinking she possibly was widowed or divorced and did not find her.

I find several Johnson males listed in the Epworth Orphanage in Richland county in 1910 but none named William or Sidney.

There was a William Johnson in Richland county in 1920 census enumerated at Camp Jackson, Private in the US Army, age 22, born SC, parents SC.

If you can find your William's WW I draft registration it may have vital information on it as to where his parents might have been. These registrations were done around 1918 and would have had a "next of kin" notification on them.

Sumpter and Richland counties are next to each other. The Richland county website on Rootsweb has a great many cemeteries that have been transcribed.

Mapquest indicates it is appx 42 miles between Rembert and Columbia and less than 8 miles between Rembert and Rafting Creek so William Sidney did not get far from where he was born.

I wished I could have been of more help.

Paula Johnson Sain - Johnson board subscriber/researcher

Martha Catoe Peebles (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2005 3:11AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2009 4:19PM GMT
Surnames: johnson
Paula, thank you so much for the reply,We are having a hard time finding Edward Johnson. I will research the areas you mentioned, we really appreciate your help.,,,Martha

Posted: 13 Jul 2009 12:15AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2009 4:22PM GMT
Surnames: johnson, turkett, strange, benton
hi, Looking over old post and i noticed yours.
I'm the granddaughter of William Sidney and Willie Emily Turkett Johnson. My Great grandmother name was Flora Alice Strange married to John Butler Harrison Turkett and both are buried in Browns Chapel Cemetery, which is located off old leesburg Road in richland County. I have been looking for my great grandfather for many years and i have found nothing but closed doors.I have information about my great grandmother, but only after Edward Johnson. Vermell later married a Joesph Benton. My dad says that his full Name was Charles Edward Johnson, but have not found anything that documents that to be the case other than i had a uncle that according to family members he was named after him. My father is Robert Bruce Johnson.

Susan Johnson Jeffcoat
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions