Search for content in message boards

How to get copy of BG marriage cert

How to get copy of BG marriage cert

Posted: 21 Jul 2013 4:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to research my great grandmother's ancestry.She got married in 1951 Guyana @ Kitty Roman Catholic Church in the District of Plaisance . I would like to get a copy of the marriage cert to help my research. Does anyone know how I can get contact details for this church.

Re: How to get copy of BG marriage cert

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 2:18AM GMT
My understanding is that BMD records are kept at the General Register Office. I think here is an application to get a marriage certificate on their website. But I've also heard not to expect any response from them, especially if you're not able to provide all the details on the application. I emailed them with a question about two months ago and never got a response.
Regards,
Nicola

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 12:26PM GMT
Thank you Nicola for your reply. I remitted a UK postal order for £5.00 to General Register Office in August 2013 and to my surprise I today (17/09/2013) received 2 certified copies of the requested marriage certificate.

I hope you have now received your reply.

Regards
Jacqui

Posted: 22 Sep 2013 2:24PM GMT
How wonderful you got what you were looking for! So glad I could help. I never did receive a reply to my email, but you've now inspired me that I might just send off for the birth certificate of my great-grandfather. I have a date of birth and general place of birth (Georgetown). The only problem is he was born in 1877, so while theoretically his birth certificate should exist as they were keeping records then, realistically I don't know if certificates that old still survive (poor archiving, poor conditions, etc). However, since you got a response when you filled out an official form, perhaps I will too!!

Regards,
Nicola

Posted: 22 Sep 2013 4:17PM GMT
The GRO copied original record from their file onto a certificate and sealed (endorsed ) it.

I have now emailed the church to find out if they have any more details on my ancestors. I have little hope they will come up with anything.

If your great grandfather had any British born relatives then you can try the British Library in London.

Good luck on your search.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions