Search for content in message boards

Doherty-Spence

Doherty-Spence

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 7:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Doherty, Spence, Byron
Seeking parentage of William Doherty, b. circa 1867, who married Ellen (Spence) Byron, after the death of her first husband, Joseph Byron. Ellen married Byron July 7, 1888, at Carleton Place, Lanark, Ontario, when she was 18 and he was 21. Byron appears to have died, aged 23, in Ramsey, Lanark, Ontario, Feb. 7, 1891, leaving two children, Willie Byron and Mary Byron. She married, second, William Doherty, and they had a son, James E. Doherty, born Feb. 1893, and two other children, Teresa M. "Tessie" Doherty, and Charles Doherty. They relocated to Missouri, where the 1900 census listed William as a brakeman for the railroad. He died before 1906, when Ellen (Spence)Byron Doherty married her third husband, Joseph Walsh, in Massachusetts. Any information appreciated.

Re: Doherty-Spence

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 10:34PM GMT
Possible Father of your William??

Locations to Emigrants at the Land Board Bathurst District Land Grant 31 Dec 1825 William Doherty 31.12.1825 Granted Lot SW-1/2 18,Con 12, Ramsay Township, 100 Acres. Born Ireland. Age 27. Arrived in Province 1825. Vol. 140 p.57

The Perth Courier Death 24 Nov 1865 In Ramsay, 17th inst, William Doherty senior, a native of Wexford Ireland, aged 88 years

The Perth Courier Death 20 Feb 1914 Mrs Catherine Leckie, Sarnia is daughter. Was daughter of late William Doherty Ramsay pioneer where she was born on 9th line in 1851. Married in 1876. Husband also Ramsay native died 20 years ago

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 10:34PM GMT
Possible Father of your William??

Locations to Emigrants at the Land Board Bathurst District Land Grant 31 Dec 1825 William Doherty 31.12.1825 Granted Lot SW-1/2 18,Con 12, Ramsay Township, 100 Acres. Born Ireland. Age 27. Arrived in Province 1825. Vol. 140 p.57

The Perth Courier Death 24 Nov 1865 In Ramsay, 17th inst, William Doherty senior, a native of Wexford Ireland, aged 88 years

The Perth Courier Death 20 Feb 1914 Mrs Catherine Leckie, Sarnia is daughter. Was daughter of late William Doherty Ramsay pioneer where she was born on 9th line in 1851. Married in 1876. Husband also Ramsay native died 20 years ago

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 12:40AM GMT
I am not sure if your William Doherty is related to my Doherty's but they were all in Lanark County in or near Carleton Place. I have a lot of information that I would not be able to give you in this post. But if you can give me more info I might be able to figure out if this Doherty is related. I noticed that when Nellie Spence first married she married in the Weslyan Methodist Church. My Doherty's also belonged to this church. Also, my great grandfather, Ephraim Doherty and his brother Charles Doherty moved to Missouri so there could be a family connection. Also, you note that their first son was James E. The E could stand for Ephraim which was a common name in my Doherty/Tweedy family. Do you know William's middle name? I have in my tree a William Albert Doherty born 1863 in Lanark, Ont to James Doherty and Cloe Rose. Would love to know if there is a connection.

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 2:41PM GMT
Surnames: Doherty, Spence

Today 2:38 PM GMT

Many apologies. I missed your response to my query until just the other day. I do not know a lot about
William Doherty beyond what I posted. I know the family was in the Lanark area, and I know the Spence family also was there before relocating first to New Hampshire and then to Massachusetts. I know William died in a train accident in 1904 in Massachusetts and that his father was listed as James. His place of birth was listed as Canada. His father and mother's birthplaces were listed as Ireland in several censuses and other records. Beyond that, virtually nothing. No information on brothers or sisters. His marriage date was listed as 1892 to Nellie (Ellen) Spence Byron, but I can't find anything on that. Births of first two children of William and Ellen also were in Canada, but no records I can find. Very frustrating ...

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 2:32AM GMT
Really wish I could help you find the information you seek. It seems likely that your William Doherty is related to my Doherty's since they were all in the Lanark area. I have found lots of Doherty's in that area and only one Doherty family was not related. It was the Thomas Doherty family but they were Irish Catholic. My Doherty's were both Weslyan Methodist and Presbyterian. Have you searched the Perth Courier on Rootsweb? I did find Ellen Spence Byron in there but not your William Doherty. It is possible that his age is not accuratley listed or that his name is spelled correctly. I have also found the Doherty name spelled Dogherty, Dougherty, Docherty, etc. Also, my ancestors never seemed to get their ages right. The only William Doherty that I don't have info on is William Albert Doherty born 1863 in Ramsay Township, Lanark, Ontario to James Doherty and Chloe Rose. What information do you have that shows that your William was in the Lanark area? Also, do you know his religion? I understand your frustration. Hopefully we can find an answer.

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 12:46PM GMT
Surnames: Doherty
I believe he is Irish Catholic. I have just ruled out William A. Doherty, son of James Doherty and Cloe Rose. This information is from Family Search: nameWm Albert Doherty
eventMarriage
event date05 Apr 1904
event placeCarleton Place, Lanark, Ontario, Canada
age41
estimated birth year1863
fatherJames Doherty
motherChloe Rose
spouseAnnie Eleanor Ackland
spouse's age30
spouse's estimated birth year1874
My wife's ancestor William was buried in an Irish Catholic cemetery, even though his wife definitely was born and raised Presbyterian. I will check the newspaper next. Thanks for your assistance.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic