Search for content in message boards

JOHN CARTER 1790-1810 BLADEN NC

JOHN CARTER 1790-1810 BLADEN NC

Mel Bivins (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2005 1:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CARTER
Looking for information on the family JOHN CARTER appearing in 1790 to 1810 census files in Bladen NC. Family names include: Henry Carter, James Carter, John Carter, George W. Carter, William J. Carter and Alexander Carter.

Re: JOHN CARTER 1790-1810 BLADEN NC

Posted: 3 Aug 2005 6:43PM GMT
Edited: 22 Dec 2005 8:08PM GMT
I have a John Carter in my family who I think was born 1805; wife Martha. Their children was Molcey; Mary Elizabeth; Delilah; Edith; William A. and Felix Carter. My grandfather was the son of Molcey.

I would love to hear more about your family.
Evelyn

Mel Bivins (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2005 9:04PM GMT
Evelyn:

It does not sound like a match. All of my family names include for several generations names such as: John Carter; James Carter; Henry Carter; George W. Carter; William J. Carter; and Alexander Aulcey Carter. Female names include: Sarah; Mary; Celia; Anna; Flora; poss Susannah; and Catherine. The family was in Cumberland County North Carolina from about 1740 to 1830; then many moved to Henry County, Alabama in 1830 and later.

Mel Bivins

Al Rose (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2005 10:33PM GMT
Surnames: CARTER
Mel,
I saw your interest. My son-in-law's CATER family was of Cumberland county.

In his family lineage are two brothers: Henry & John CARTER, son's of John CARTER of Cedar Creek twp, Cumberland county. This John Carter was born about 1770 in NC and died sometime after 1850.

Another researcher tells me John Carter was son of Jesse Carter (died about 1811 in Cumberland county, NC).

The lineage from there is uncertain but reportedly is form a John or John Joseph Carter born about 1724 in VA and died about 1751 in Turnbull, Bladen county, NC.

See my web page for further info.

Regards,
Al Rose
Please visit my GEDCOM posted at URL:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=butchros...

Posted: 3 Aug 2005 10:41PM GMT
Hi Mel,

Are all the names you have written, are they siblings?

A lot of the information I have came from my mother's first cousin, not legal documents. I remember her coming to our house when I was young to get information about our family. I don't know if any of her records came from a Bible or not.

I have a Henry Carter who married a Walters; William A.; and a Catherine. We have a Gabriel Carter---have you heard of that name?

My great grandmother was born in Georgia and came to Columbus County, next door to Bladen.

Happy Hunting!

Evelyn

Mel Bivins (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2005 1:52AM GMT
My CARTER family line is with JAMES CARTER b. 1776 married to wife #1 MARY McALISTER about 1795/1800 Cumberland; and wife #2 WINEFRED REECE about 1826 Cumberland. His father is JOHN CARTER b. around 1740 - 1750.

I could not find a consistent match with your line. My family names are consistent over three generations as: James; John; Henry; George W. and William J. It starts to diffuse after that. I have found a Henry Carter in 1820 Cumberland (Captain Evans) living near my family line that I believe is related (a brother to James).

It is highly unlikely my family is from the Thomas Carter line. There are no Thomas names anywhere in my family line 1750 to present day..

Thanks so very much,

Mel

Mel Bivins (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2005 2:05AM GMT
Henry, William and Catherine are names within my family line too ....but no Gabriel's anywhere. My family line is from Cumberland County, JAMES CARTER b. 1776. His sons names were: identified but not confirmed....John; James; Dallas; known: Henry J.; George W.; William J. I will have to look into Columbus County. Thanks for the tip.

Mel

Posted: 4 Aug 2005 11:06AM GMT
Surnames: Ellis, Lowery
My grandpa, Cassada (Cass) Carter was born 1857. His birth name was M.W.L.D.B (believe this) Max Winds Lo Alvie Dean Berry Carter. This is what an older cousin told me. I thought that was something that grandpa was kidding about and was just a nickname, but I found those initials of grandpa in the 1860 Columbus County Census.

My Great Grandmother, Molsey Carter, was born 1838 and died Apr 1906. She had a house full of children, but I haven't seen a husband yet.

Evelyn

dkeith (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2005 2:50PM GMT
Were the Carter's persons of color?

Posted: 28 Sep 2005 3:48PM GMT
There are many "Carters" from Robeson County that are probably Indian; but my Carters (that I know) are white. I don't know where my great-great-grandfather John Carter (born 1805) came from, I assumed Georgia, because that is where his wife, Martha (born 1810), came from. I don't know any of his brothers or sisters names, I wish I did. His daughter Molcey, (my great-grandmother, was born in Georgia.

I would love to know more about your Carter family.

Thanks, Evelyn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic